Author Topic: USB to Serial Converter for Garmin Geko 201  (Read 5834 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
USB to Serial Converter for Garmin Geko 201
« on: 14 December, 2008, 06:34:41 pm »
My new laptop doesn't have a serial port, meaning that I can't transfer routes to my Garmin Geko GPS.  I bought a USB to Serial converter off of Ebay but it turns out that the chipset doesn't like to speak to Garmin GPS machines (I shouldn't have just bought the cheap one).

So, can anyone recommend a USB to Serial converter that does speak to  a Garmin GPS?  The cheaper the better  ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: USB to Serial Converter for Garmin Geko 201
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2008, 07:49:51 pm »
Having been there I think you'll find that the converter sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't - seems to react with whatever the PC may be running ... not very helpful I know but that's the conclusion I came to.

I gave up and sold my GPS (an eTrex) and bought another eTrex with USB connection - works a treat.

I have a USB - Serial converter with drivers CD that you can have for nothing to give it a try (no warranties!!) - PM with an address and I'll bung it in the post

Rob

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2008, 08:07:27 pm »
Rob

You have PM.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2008, 09:42:27 am »
Buy a Garmin Adaptor Cable with USB Connector, #010-10310-00 - eXpansys UK

..... from experience (not me, a pal) don't hold your breath on it working every time - the cable is probably OK - it's the oddities of Serial ports that seem to be the issue.

... and by the time you've spent £30 on a cable that's quite a long way toward getting a direct USB GPS (you'd be amazed what people pay for used GPS on eBay  ??? )

Rob

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2008, 01:19:19 pm »

it's the oddities of Serial ports that seem to be the issue.

Its a lost skillset, is all.

Time was, when configuring serial ports was everyday stuff, and reasonably near the surface in the computer OS.  And USB just didn't work.

Since then we've had 'progress' but the whole GPS/mapping community seems to be in a world apart.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2008, 02:07:45 pm »

it's the oddities of Serial ports that seem to be the issue.

Its a lost skillset, is all.

Time was, when configuring serial ports was everyday stuff, and reasonably near the surface in the computer OS.  And USB just didn't work.

Since then we've had 'progress' but the whole GPS/mapping community seems to be in a world apart.

I've got some of those little PCB "jumper" things here somewhere if you would like them  ;D ;D

Rob

maddogdave

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2008, 11:26:34 pm »
I've used a Maplin converter with no problems. Only thing to note is to always use the same USB port on your PC when you plug in. Depending on the software you are using you may be able to manually set the port or search for the GPS device. I've used an etrex legend with mapsource and anquet maps. If the unit doesn't connect then I can search and then save the settings, for example Comm5 port.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
Anything with a Prolific PL-2303 chipset in it should work (the most popular USB-serial chipset, I believe?) - that's what I use to get my Mac talking to my yellow eTrex and Geko 201.

But better to buy yourself an HCx with USB.  ;D
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

red marley

« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2008, 11:46:55 am »
GPSWarehouse have cables that do the job well (we use them with our GIS students and buy a new set every year). Seem to be reliable and also power the GPS when connected so it doesn't drain the batteries when transferring data.

At £33, they are quite expensive, but for those contemplating this type of setup, they do various bundles with the GPS and accessoriem which can work out quite a bit cheaper.

« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2008, 11:54:18 am »
I got a PL-2303 based one for my Etrex (same odd 4 pin block style connector as the Geko) from Hong Kong off eBay for about £18. Driver works fine (and there are PL-2303 drivers for Linux and OSX out there too). Delivered within about 3 or 4 days.

Something like item 330296478181.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2009, 04:39:28 pm »
I use a serial port adaptor that fits in the expresscard slot in my laptop.  Works fine, every time, but i think it cost about £30.  I need it for a bellringing simulator connection as well, so it makes economic sense for me. 

My desktop still has a serial port, although an upgrade beckons...
Wombat