Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 212023 times)

Re: DOTD
« Reply #900 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:29:12 pm »
I think it was pretty clear from his saying
'watch where I'm going.'
Sarcasm is a bit harder to purvey via this medium.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #901 on: 06 February, 2020, 06:46:58 am »
As I was heading out of our village yesterday to pick my daughter up, a white van pulled into the layby in front of me. So far so good. He then decided to reverse into an entrance off the layby, swinging the front of his lwb van out into the road as he did, just as I was approaching.

My approach to this would be to look n my mirror and see if there was anything behind me before reversing so I don't force other people to stop or swerve. Apparently from the tirade of abuse, as soon as I saw the reversing lights go on, I should have given him sole occupancy of the road.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #902 on: 06 February, 2020, 11:15:20 am »
I think it was pretty clear from his saying
'watch where I'm going.'
Sarcasm is a bit harder to purvey via this medium.

Ah, I thought my explanation was sub-par, it's a fiddlesome junction to describe if you don't know it.

I'm used to lycrablokes getting THE RAGE if I overtake them on a Brompton*, but he wasn't a lycrabloke and didn't have the speed, but he seemed intent on getting ahead. I presume if I'd not slowed down (thus risking intimacy with Addison Lee's finest) he'd have been going with me down Southwark Road.

*there's only one thing worse for them, and that's being overtaken by a girl on a Brompton**.

**for some reason, this appears to be London's smallest cycling demographic. I rarely ever seem to see women on Brommies.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #903 on: 09 February, 2020, 01:07:00 pm »
Yesterday evening, as I was cycling to the station, a BSO propelled by a young woman emerged from a junction. She had small blinky lights front and rear. The one at the front was red, the one at the back was white.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #904 on: 09 February, 2020, 02:52:49 pm »
Yesterday evening, as I was cycling to the station, a BSO propelled by a young woman emerged from a junction. She had small blinky lights front and rear. The one at the front was red, the one at the back was white.
This seems go in fashionable phases hereabouts. Maybe ridden by Darwin fans.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #905 on: 09 February, 2020, 02:53:23 pm »
Possibly anticipating a really strong headwind?  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #906 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:36:28 pm »
Mind you, I realised when I got back from That London that I could also be DOTD. I'd locked my bike on the upper deck of the pull-out bike rack. When my rail replacement bus pulled in to the station on my return journey, I peered out of the window.  What was that half blocking the pavement?  Why it was my bike, on the upper deck of the pull out bike rack, except it was in its pulled out unstosed position. Replaying my actions from earlier in the evening  I failed to do the stowing bit once I'd locked it to the rack.

No bikes were harmed.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #907 on: 14 February, 2020, 03:38:22 pm »
The pavement hopping numpty with no lights with hood up in the dark. Nothing unusual about that but then had to take to road as pavement was full so just cycled towards oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road. Thankfully the car turning into the junction he was about to cross saw them despite the fact you wouldn't be expecting someone cycling across it on the wrong side of the road. Everyone had to brake which gave me time to get my window down to bellow get some lights. They didn't even look round

fuzzy

« Reply #908 on: 14 February, 2020, 10:32:22 pm »
Had their headphones turned up loud enough to enclose them in their little bubble?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #909 on: 15 February, 2020, 06:19:27 am »
Two of those when I went for a run last week, both young females, saw me out of the corner of their eye and nearly jumped out of their skin
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #910 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:47:54 pm »
If suspect so fuzzy. I have a voice akin to a fog horn when I let it rip so either they had ear plugs or just thought they better keep going as some one in a van is bellowing at me

« Reply #911 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:12:31 pm »
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #912 on: 07 April, 2020, 10:11:53 pm »
You know that annoying thing some pedestrians do of striding out into the road as you're approaching so they can cross 0.00001 seconds after your back wheel passes? The one that puts them momentarily close enough alongside that you can practically feel their breath?

You'd think they might have knocked that on the head.

Especially when you're making a point of staying miles from the pavement and swerving practically over the centre line as they approach.

(this was on the part of the old A1 in North Finchley that's still 700 metres wide and the most imaginative thing they can do with that space is make one enormous car lane in each direction)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #913 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:25:45 pm »
You could try coughing loudly as they approach?  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #914 on: 11 April, 2020, 11:02:17 am »

I was the victim of a Pedestrian vs Bike collision this week.

Unfortunately the bike in question is mine, and was in my hallway at the time. Not fully awake first thing in the morning, I walked into my handlebars.

Turns out ultegra TT brake levers are actually really pointy when you walk into them...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #915 on: 11 April, 2020, 12:19:38 pm »
I still have a scar on my upper arm from impaling myself on a Windcheetah's chainset after tripping over it in the dark, circa 1984.  BEER may have been a factor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #916 on: 11 April, 2020, 08:51:28 pm »
Out today on my 20 mile local loop and I am on a slight downhill ,approaching a T junction onto the old A1. I swing wide, intending to go left. Next thing I know there is a cyclist on my left hand side, close enough to touch, giving me abuse for not signalling. WTAF?

« Reply #917 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:13:38 pm »
Weary Bank today - it was busy with families going into the woods, lots of families and toddlers spilling onto the road. You don't really want to slow down at the bridge so as to preserve your momentum, but I'd already had to slow a bit on the descent to give some space to walkers, and I was going inbetween the families, smiling and calling "morning", when a rider came down the other way without slowing and shot inbetween me and one of the free-range toddlers, leaving about half a metre either side.

Hope your 693rd position on the climb was worth it, Justin.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #918 on: 05 June, 2020, 10:41:43 am »
Real heart in mouth moment for me yesterday.

There's a horrible roundabout  (the notorious Angerstein or Woolwich Road junction) near home at which 2 cyclists have been crushed by lorries in the past 11 years. I was waiting at the lights, a couple of cars behind a cement truck, when a cyclist came past on my left. He then proceeded to ride right up beside the cement lorry, which was indicating left, in the driver's blind spot. The lights changed, the lorry began its left turn, and you can guess the rest. 

Fortunately, the cyclist got a foot down on to the pavement and just about managed to stay upright, but there wasn't a lot of room between his wheels and the truck's.  He then tottered off and attempted to turn right by riding all the way around the edge of the roundabout.

I doubt the truck driver was even aware of his presence but, had there been worse consequences, I would have vouched for him. I hope the cyclist manages to learn some road sense before it's too late.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #919 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:03:51 am »
Trucks in London are required to have mirrors that completely eliminate blind spots. Some trucks have cameras or obstacle detectors and the better managed construction projects mandate them.

If the driver didn't know they were there it was because they didn't look or their employer was a cheapskate.

That driver needs to learn some road sense before it's too late.

« Reply #920 on: 05 June, 2020, 01:30:44 pm »
And so does the cyclist by the sound of it.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #921 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:39:23 pm »
Trucks in London are required to have mirrors that completely eliminate blind spots. Some trucks have cameras or obstacle detectors and the better managed construction projects mandate them.

If the driver didn't know they were there it was because they didn't look or their employer was a cheapskate.

That driver needs to learn some road sense before it's too late.

With respect, the driver was stationary at the lights when the cyclist approached. The truck moved off and the cyclist continued to ride up on the left, even as the truck was starting its turn. In my view - based on being about 20 metres away - there was not enough room for the bike to pass alongside the truck even had the truck been going straight ahead. It was a stupid move by the cyclist and - while I am no lover of trucks and the way some of them are driven - there was no reason for the driver to expect that anyone would place himself in such a hazardous position.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #922 on: 05 June, 2020, 07:00:33 pm »
there was no reason for the driver to expect that anyone would place himself in such a hazardous position.

Unless you've ever spent more than about 20 minutes observing the behaviour of cyclists in That London.

Shitty that the truck driver should have to repeatedly check for the sense-deficient ones, but ultimately, they're the one with the deadly crush-machine.

« Reply #923 on: 08 June, 2020, 07:56:33 pm »
The yoof on a mountain bike who decided to cut across the grass verge and into the road in front of me for a race.  Unfortunately for him I was going downhill on the recumbent and obviously faster than he thought.  A brief clash of bikes, we both kept control and nobody was injured.

Could have been a lot worse, hopefully the stupid boy has had enough of a fright to stop doing this in future.  I have to admit that I may have added to his stock of swear words.

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #924 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:15:19 pm »
Last time I had a yoof do that, he declared himself the victor after about 200m.  I got to Warwick well ahead of him, thobut.