Author Topic: DIY/Perm in Cornwall  (Read 2033 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
DIY/Perm in Cornwall
« on: 30 June, 2011, 11:10:40 am »
So, I'm camping in Cornwall for a week at the end of the month.  Based near Newquay.

I'd planned on doing some gentle rides with the other half  - and this will still happen.

However, an unexpected opportunity has come up for a day out on my own - Cass is going to learn to cook fish at Rick Stein's restaurant for the day, so she's said "why not get out into the hills for the day?" (any riding I do with her has to avoid hills!).

So, any suggestions for a 200km route involving Newquay as the start/end?

I looked at perms - seems I'd have some really good routes (like Valley Of The Rocks) if I were in Devon, but seem a little thin on the ground in Cornwall (and this pass doesn't extend to trying the K&SW 600!).

Any suggestions much appreciated - I'm not afraid of hills, and I hear they have a few down that way! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Re: DIY/Perm in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:25:08 pm »
If you want hills, you could look at the "Capt Nick Memorial" 200.  It ran out of St Agnes, just down the coast from Newquay.  Not sure if it has run in recent years (I did it in 2006, as did iddu) and it's not set up as a perm.  But if I can find the routesheet you could set up a GPS DIY if that's your scene.

Only trouble is I won't be able to scan the routesheet until 18th July, as I won't be in my office again until then, and don't have a scanner at home.  PM me if this might be of interest.

I should point out that I commented at the end of the ride that it was the hardest 200 I'd ever done, and the 5 years (and over 80 200s) since then have not changed my mind  ;D

jm1

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:31:14 pm »
Don's "many rivers to cross" crosses close to Newquay as does the "saints and tinners 300" both nice rides on quiet roads.PM me your phone number or email and I will pass it on if you want.jm.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:44:09 pm »
I expect this pass is only valid for a 200 as it is, after all, our holiday together for the year due to me going off to PBP, so I really don't want to take the mick!  But good suggestions nonetheless.

That said, the Captain Nick Memorial sounds a whole lot of fun of the grimping kind.  I'll drop you a PM phil d - but if anyone else had a routesheet and/or a GPX file, I could see whether I was feeling brave - sounds brutal.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »

That said, the Captain Nick Memorial sounds a whole lot of fun of the grimping kind.  I'll drop you a PM phil d - but if anyone else had a routesheet and/or a GPX file, I could see whether I was feeling brave - sounds brutal.

Oh yes, it was brutal.  4AAA (of the "old" type), 4400m quoted for climbing.  I've done other 4-pointers (Elan & Ystwyth, though I think that was downgraded, Snowdon) but this was far tougher.  Trouble is, as you probably know, you can't just let go on the downs and coast part of the way up the ups - there always seems to be a narrow bridge covered in gravel on a bend at the bottom, so you have to slow right down.

It is possible that I have a GPX route (can't remember whether I was using GPS at that time).  I'll check this evening.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »
Big thanks to Phil D - I have the GPX for Captain Nick's Memorial.  Certainly looks hilly enough!

Will get a DIY by GPS entry in for this - looks a great ride.

Can't wait.

Right! What's next?

jm1

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »
When are you down,I might be able to get a days ride in if you fancy some local company on anything.jm.