Author Topic: 700c "gravel" tyres  (Read 2484 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
700c "gravel" tyres
« on: 16 April, 2016, 10:04:41 am »
Just bought a friends battered parts-bin CX bike, for use mainly on the commute over "mixed" surfaces. The sidewall of the rear is starting to fail, so I need a new tyre.

Any good mid-range suggestions? I'm in unexplored waters here!
(bike has regular width road rims. Current tyres are 40mm? Anyway, plenty of clearance on it, but I dont expect to go a lot wider than that - I'm not riding on sand or snow. )

I dont believe we have a thread about this - but lots of discussion buried in wider threads about "gravel" bikes or similar.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: 700c "gravel" tyres
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2016, 10:21:23 am »

I have used a CX bike for commuting/utility stuff and the bike came with Conti Cyclocross tyres which were not very aggressive and fine for tarmac/gravel.  I currently use Vittoria Randonneur that are rather like Marathons but far cheaper, although not sure about puncture resistance.

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2016, 12:09:59 pm »
wtb nano
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »
[EDITED  - 40mm !]

Thanks bumper - what flavour nanos though? there are ... several! (lets stick to clinchers for now, too!)

As its for commuting I'd really like decent p* resistance, even at expense of weight. In this vein I shall shortly stick a spare 25mm M+ on, just to tide me over. Yes, it will look odd ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:11:45 pm »
I've used the wired, race and tcs. All the same but different weights. I run the tcs tubeless at 30psi and lower and they are great for trail work, the wired are just as good, I run those at around 40 for mixed road/trail riding. They run well on tarmac and great on hardpack and shallow mud.

They are possibly my most favouritest, bestest tyre ever ever!

CRC have the wired for ~£17 and PX have the tcs for ~£30. I stocked up on wired when they were 13.99ea and I've just bought another 4 tcs from px :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2016, 02:22:41 pm »
Not Conti SpeedRide, they are fairie magnets!

I am using, currently, Clement X'Plor USH, which are supplied on the bike with tubes but work fine tubeless (due to lack of tuits, the front is tubeless and the rear tubed). Great tyres, nice balance of on and off road grip plus no visitations. Ask me again in two weeks, though when they have had a trip out to lands forrin.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »
Been using some bontrager CXO 33’s That just about squeeze onto my Van Nic randonneur bike. Nice floaty ride over broken road/track. No flats as yet and ridden pretty hard.

Firefly have specced clements for the new all-road build (in production), I've no personal experience yet, but the guys at Firefly seem to get everything right.
often lost.

rr

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2016, 03:13:10 pm »
There is a gravel version of the sharbre one, my marathon supremes 32 work well until things get really loose.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2016, 04:44:49 pm »
X'Plor

?!?

Is this the sort of thing I'll have to tolerate once I stray off the tarmacced path?

<shakes head ... >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2016, 05:18:55 pm »
It's the kind of grammatically illiterate marketing speak all right-thinking tarmac cyclists d'plor.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2016, 06:38:05 pm »
Matt I've got a pair of Michelin Mud 2 CX tyres that you can have for nothing - think you're in South Oxfordshire?

Caveat is that I bought them used on here about 5 years ago and have never used them so can't vouch for their condition

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2016, 07:11:54 pm »
X'Plor

?!?

Is this the sort of thing I'll have to tolerate once I stray off the tarmacced path?

<shakes head ... >

Yeah, get used to it...

I don't make the tyres, nor even name them...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2016, 07:51:29 pm »
Matt I've got a pair of Michelin Mud 2 CX tyres that you can have for nothing - think you're in South Oxfordshire?

Caveat is that I bought them used on here about 5 years ago and have never used them so can't vouch for their condition
PMed.

(anything to avoid X'plors ! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

often lost.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2016, 12:01:15 pm »
schwalbe marathon mondial, not a specific gravel tyre, but a great allround touring tyre, available in 700x40c

« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »
I endorse what Tiermat said about the X'plors.
Mine have done 1700 miles a lot of which was commuting through the glass strewn streets of central MCR.
I've had one puncture and that was a snake bite caused by a sharp edged, water filled pot-hole. Of course it was raining at the time.........
Fitting and removing them is very, very easy.
As well as, seemingly, being tough, they roll well on tarmac and are great on gravel.
They're soon out of their depth on mud though.

Who cares what they're called ? They're tyres.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 18 April, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »
Who cares what they're called ? They're tyres.
As long as they're not tires, I'm happy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------