Author Topic: Project Handlebar  (Read 27755 times)

Re: Project Handlebar
« Reply #50 on: 15 January, 2015, 09:00:34 pm »
They're so I can carefully monitor speed.

If my calculations are correct...

« Reply #51 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:34:58 pm »
Is that... is that set to 88mph?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #52 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:43:31 pm »

;D   :thumbsup:

Stepping away until morning now; looking forward to realising whatever obvious thing it is that I've forgotten...

Nikki

You need to shellac that string - Amerifrenchstyle - or if you live in a rural area replace with bailer twine

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:57:10 pm »

Is that... is that set to 88mph?

You want to be careful with that.  Mr Fusion powers the time circuits and the flux capacitor. But Teethgrinder runs on ordinary CAKE, he always has.  There's not going to be a cafe stop around here until sometime in the next century. Without CAKE, we can't get the Dawes up to 88 miles per hour....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #54 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:30:16 pm »
They're so I can carefully monitor speed.

That's cool, the speed is well chosen and doubtless correct. Correct for what, I'm not sure, but correct. I like it. Only the units are disappointing. MPH are not cyclists eurocool metric but neither are they sufficiently obscure to gain Wowbagger beard points. Perhaps if you'd used gills per hour with ABV adjustment, or firkins per furlong with loam allowance, or maybe biscuits per chain with additions and subtractions as appropriate for ginger nuts and jaffa cakes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #55 on: 16 January, 2015, 12:08:03 am »

You need to shellac that string

Varnishing!

Sanding *and* adhesives?

POW! And that's the hat-trick!

Presumably the shellac is to stop it rotting after 4 days touring around North Wales?

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #56 on: 16 January, 2015, 09:11:06 am »
You would need tarred string to survive a tour of North Wales
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #57 on: 16 January, 2015, 09:26:22 am »
And once you've got tarred string, you might as well build a ship.

« Reply #58 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:58:35 am »
I really like that idea, but it'd have to have a quick-realease bow so I could get it down the stairs...

« Reply #59 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »
Knees put this project on hold somewhat, but recent rides (yay!) have reconfirmed the feeling that I just can't reach the damn brakes properly (uh-oh!).

The current set-up is short reach Tektro levers on compact bars. I also have a 50mm stem.

There's still a slight issue with reach - my hands tend to come back off the hoods a little and sit more on the shoulder of the curve going into the hoods - but the biggest issue is that, with my hands on the hoods, I really struggle to get my fingers around the brake levers in a way that I can apply any serious leverage. I rarely use the hooks: I try and make myself move down on fast descents, but I struggle to get to the levers from here, too.

So I'm thinking about butterfly bars again, this time seriously enough to spec up some components.

I've found these narrow ones that would seem to be comparable in width to the flat bars on my commuter and the current dropped handlebars:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/520-humpert-contest-narrow-multi-position-handlebars-254mm-clamp-black/

This would need a new stem, as current short stem (and the longer one it replaced) was for 31.8mm clamp diameter.

What I'm trying to think through now is what brake levers and gear shifters I would need. I'm after mountain bike style pods, but I don't know how to go about matching those to the brakes (cantilever). Is there a particular sort I'd be after? Is that combination possible?

Gearswise, I currently have bar end shifters. 9 speed on the back, indexed, with a triple on the front, friction.
Could I replace those with something like https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/shimano-acera-slm3000-9-speed-rapidfire-shifter-pods/ or
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/shimano-alivio-slm4000-9-speed-rapidfire-shifter-pods/ ?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #60 on: 27 April, 2017, 11:42:21 pm »
Yes & yes . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 28 April, 2017, 12:00:25 am »
Those shifters should be fine, but don't the brake levers need to have roadie cable pull?

« Reply #62 on: 28 April, 2017, 12:09:48 am »
Okay, cool re shifters.

For brakes, I found a reference to these (and a few others, but I like the quick release function on my current levers and it would be good to keep that) https://www.bike24.com/p2128193.html

Is Rapidfire, just a Shimano branding thing?

« Reply #63 on: 28 April, 2017, 10:30:26 am »
Gave up on those brake levers - too ugly!

Currently poised over this combination:

Humpert Contest Narrow bars
Humpert Curve 1 1/8" Ahead Adjustable Stem 0/+40 Deg (100mm option)
Shimano Acera SL-M3000 9 Speed Rapidfire Shifter Pods
Shimano BL-R550 Flat Bar Caliper Brake Levers

I've checked diameters etc etc and scoured fora for relevant threads, I think it's just the gear shifters that feel like a bit of a leap of faith. That and stem length (I'm assuming that the Humpert stem is sized so that it won't be too short, and that if it's too long I can kind of fudge reach a little with the angle adjustment?)

Really the main thing I'm worried about is whether my bar bag will fit!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #64 on: 28 April, 2017, 11:03:56 am »
Are you going to Long Itch? I could bring my Fisher which is a full LX setup on butterfly bars and you're welcome to try it.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #65 on: 28 April, 2017, 11:20:37 am »
Thanks Tors, but I'm unlikely to make more than a flying visit to Long Itch, if at all.

What does "full LX setup" mean?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #66 on: 28 April, 2017, 11:31:31 am »
Probably not the most detailed pic:

Detail of the combined shifter and brake lever setup here
VELOMANCER

« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2017, 12:16:38 pm »
Ah!

Was there a particular reason why you chose the dual action levers (and do they work with cantis?)?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2017, 12:43:47 pm »
Only that the bike was my 50th birthday present and completism. It still irks me that the front wheel hub is a different colour because it's Hone, not LX.

ETA: These levers only work with v-brakes or discs.
VELOMANCER

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2017, 01:16:31 pm »
Separate levers and shifters are a better option IMHO, even if it wasn't necessary for brake compatibility.  Less to replace if something goes wrong, and there may be some ergonomic merit in being able to rotate them independently.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #70 on: 28 April, 2017, 01:35:58 pm »
I agree. When it was being built I tended to pull the trigger first and think about it later. Wasn't suggesting Nikki went for those controls...

ETA I've just checked the levers, the cable pull can't be altered.
VELOMANCER

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 28 April, 2017, 01:40:09 pm »
That said, I've got a set of XT combined ones that are really lovely (or would be if the Shimano disc brakes they're operating didn't feel like treacle).  Lovely crisp gear action.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 28 April, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »
Gave up on those brake levers - too ugly!

Currently poised over this combination:

Humpert Contest Narrow bars
Humpert Curve 1 1/8" Ahead Adjustable Stem 0/+40 Deg (100mm option)
Shimano Acera SL-M3000 9 Speed Rapidfire Shifter Pods
Shimano BL-R550 Flat Bar Caliper Brake Levers

I've checked diameters etc etc and scoured fora for relevant threads, I think it's just the gear shifters that feel like a bit of a leap of faith. That and stem length (I'm assuming that the Humpert stem is sized so that it won't be too short, and that if it's too long I can kind of fudge reach a little with the angle adjustment?)

Really the main thing I'm worried about is whether my bar bag will fit!
The gear shifters will be fine. I had similar (can't remember what precise model) on my old hybrid (don't think you've ever seen it) when I replaced the old grip shift. Probably the best thing I ever changed on that bike! Possibly the Alivio would be slightly better made than Acera, but Tors would know more about that. You needn't worry about pull ratios, up to 9 speed it's all the same (flat bar and drop) unlike the brakes.

« Reply #73 on: 28 April, 2017, 07:45:32 pm »
I went for it and bought the doodads.
Just need to wait for the bank holiday to get out of the way and then start jibbling it all together!

Thanks for listening to my thought processes, all, more to come, I'm sure!  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #74 on: 28 April, 2017, 07:56:58 pm »
Bank Holiday is the best time (cos most time) to jibble it all up! Course you do need the jibblements first...