Linked Events

• Friday Night ride to Tan Hill: 01 July, 2011

Author Topic: Friday Night ride to Tan Hill, July 1st 2011  (Read 112938 times)

Friday Night ride to Tan Hill, July 1st 2011
« on: 30 March, 2011, 11:33:05 pm »
As part of our Friday Night ride to Somewhere Random series, a bit of a change from our usual coastal destinations, we'll instead be riding to Tan Hill, the highest pub in the UK, one of the remotest pubs in the UK, and an institution in the finest sense of the word.

Tan Hill, from the east.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAfCoaXJTAc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WAfCoaXJTAc&rel=1</a>

Depart from York Station at 23.20 or thereabouts on Friday July 1st 2011. Aim to be there a few minutes earlier.

Breakfast between 08.30 and 09.30 at Tan Hill - they'd prefer us to be there no later than 09.30 on the Saturday morning. but we'll work it out. It's an average speed of only 8.4 mph, which should be achievable, even on a yacf ride...

Breakfast is £5 a head and a selection of tea, coffee, cereal, toast, full English etc, unless you have particular requirements. Veggie breakfasts are also available (veggie sossidge being the highlight) and they're also set up for those with wheat intolerance - tell 'em when you order, and they'll toast your bread if you bring your own. We'll work the rest out on the day.

Alcoholic beverages will be available, for those who want them.

Here's the route, and a list of the places we'll pass through:

Google Maps

From York, past the Minster, Haxby, Wigginton (cross A19), Shipton, Helperby Brafferton, Cundall, Topcliffe, Newby Wiske, Yafforth, Scorton, Moulton, Middleton Tyas, Scotch Corner, Richmond, Reeth, Langthwaite, Tan Hill.

Facilities en route are the 24-hour services at Scotch Corner, which is a bit of a dog-leg to ensure that we get chance to re-fuel.  There are also public loos in Reeth and Langthwaite, and I'd expect the newsagents to be open in Reeth by the time we get there.

This makes the total distance up to approximately 75-80 miles: with a midnight start, we are unlikely to get to Tan Hill before 8 am at the very earliest, and it will be an arduous journey, although the initial 50 miles to Scotch Corner are on very flat roads.  However, the 25 miles from Scotch Corner to Tan Hill are very hilly indeed, so please bear this in mind, and only come along if you're confident at the distance.  However, I anticipate a slow ride, so don't be put off.

For returning from Tan Hill, the most sensible option is catching a train from Kirkby Stephen, which is about 10 miles away, virtually all downhill.  There are trains to Leeds every few hours.

Alternatively, ride back to Darlington with me!  Approximately 35 miles, even more virtually all downhill, with a few miles of rough track across Sleightholme Moor.

Bail-out options at Scotch Corner, where you can ride to Darlington and catch a train, or at Northallerton (not on the route, but close to it).

I'm starting to think this is a ridiculous idea, but sod it.  Who else is in?  

Why Tan Hill?

toekneep and GillP leaving Tan Hill towards Kirkby Stephen last year:

It even has its own beer :thumbsup:

Cast list:
Wowbagger
Deano
CrinklyLion
Kim
mcshroom
tiptop
Arch
mrcharly
billplumtree
andrewc
rower40
jane
"Slow"Coach
ChocolateBike
phil d
Peter
lanternrouge
Smegmeister +1
Doosh
Jogler
Crusty
Sleepy

meeting us at Tan Hill
Marj
interzen

Possibly attending, depending on various things:
Tiermat AidanTiermaidan (pending divorce and/or Dave Grohl ;))

Riding back to Darlo with me (aiming to leave Tan Hill no later than 12):

Deano
Kim
CrinklyLion
Chocolatebike
mrcharly
"Slow"Coach
jane
phil d
rower40
Doosh
interzen
Crusty
Peter (possibly)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Friday Night ride to Tan Hill, July 1st 2011
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2011, 11:38:54 pm »
This sounds spiffing. I'll give it some thought when we come back from our next hol. Depends on state of the carcase and the availability of sensibly priced tickets.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2011, 11:41:14 pm »
Much too far, and far too hilly.

Yup. I'm in. And I'd probably prefer extra miles and a proper tea stop.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2011, 12:17:20 am »
Lungs, knees and weather permitting.   :thumbsup:

Actually, sod the lungs.  And it seems reasonably likely that there will be Weather at the top of Tan Hill, so sod that too.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:23:18 am »
Would I be mad to do this then head up the Eden valley to Carlisle?

Either way I'm in  ;D, (stuff permitting)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2011, 06:53:13 am »
You bet!

Count me in
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiptop

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2011, 08:52:36 am »
Me too, sounds like too crazy a plan to miss out!  :)

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:22:48 am »
Initial thoughts - yay!

<Thinks about 'very hilly'>

Oh, I couldn't.  And there's getting the trike back home.

<remembers MFWHTBAB who has estate car, and my need to get very much fitter in the next two years>

I'm a maybe, once I've consulted with someone about being picked up at Tan Hill....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:14:59 am »
Ah good, victims ;D

I forgot to say, blame credit Jane for the idea of Tan Hill. 

Arch: really, once you get to Tan Hill, the 10 miles to Kirkby Stephen is very nearly all downhill (the only exception being a wee climb just after the first descent from Tan Hill, which can be frustrating, if you expect it to be all downhill).  But, you'd be daft to miss it.  Tell him to pick you up at Kirkby Stephen :thumbsup:

If you really want to get fit, ride back to York over Buttertubs and Fleet Moss and Greenhow Hill.

mcshroom: sounds perfectly doable.  Lovely route through Dufton and wotnot potentially, but wouldn't it be easier to go to Penrith and catch a train there (my knowledge of the WCML is pretty limited).

Phil and tt: how are you two getting back?  Just riding? Getting a train via Kirkby Stephen is a very long-winded way to do it (hence my plan just to ride home).

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:35:49 am »
Put me down for this one. I'll make sure my front changer is working and bring some low gears.

It's *decades* since I rode over Grinton/Leyburn way.

While I like the idea of a brew up in the wilderness, experience on the Whitby ride suggests that, if windy, just making tea takes ages, more than enough time to end up thoroughly cold (even in July). Scotch Corner sounds sensible.

From the Tan Hill website
The Bar is open from 8am 'til 2am (3am on weekends and Bank Holidays) every day. (*breakfasts available for campers and walkers if booked in advance. 
So we'd need to book/notify them in advance if we want breakfast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:50:38 am »
Ah good, victims ;D

;D
will walking the use of two feet a 24" gear be allowed?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:51:37 am »
My options are:

1) ride all the way home (really daft)
2) ride to darlo and catch the next train (a bit daft as I may as well then do 1) )
3) Ring Mrs T and get her to collect me in the Mystery Machine....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:56:29 am »
That's a really, really stupid idea. :thumbsup:

Don't think we can make it, though, and, if we did, I'd be holding folk up too much anyway :(
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2011, 11:36:52 am »

Arch: really, once you get to Tan Hill, the 10 miles to Kirkby Stephen is very nearly all downhill (the only exception being a wee climb just after the first descent from Tan Hill, which can be frustrating, if you expect it to be all downhill).  But, you'd be daft to miss it.  Tell him to pick you up at Kirkby Stephen :thumbsup:

If you really want to get fit, ride back to York over Buttertubs and Fleet Moss and Greenhow Hill.

Hmm, I wonder if he'd like to bring his trike over, and enjoy 10 miles of downhill with me....  Oh, hang on, that means leaving the car at Tan Hill, and then turning round and going back up to get it...

80 miles you say?  Plus 10 to Kirby Stephen? That's nearly 100....

Well, whatever kind if madness I settle on for getting home, count me in for now!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2011, 11:47:50 am »
Good point, mrcharly - I said on the other thread (but forgot to put in the OP), I'll nip up one summer evening and book breakfasts for all of us.  I'm not taking orders yet, mind ;D  I'll update the OP closer to the time.  I agree about the brew-up, even though it'll hopefully be warmer and less windy in July than at the end of October.  Scotch Corner (or Barton truck stop, if it opens at 5 and we're there at that time) is definitely plan A.

I might be up at Tan Hill next week - if I am, I'll have a chat to them.  I'm sure it's the sort of slightly bonkers endeavour they'd be happy to be a part of.

Jogler - possibly.  The hills are generally long-and-steady, with a couple of steeper bits.  I've ridden it all on fixed and never had to walk.  YMMV.  You'll be reet.

Clarion - come if you can.  As I said, I don't anticipate a fast ride.  I was thinking of taking my tent up there and dossing down for a few hours afterwards before riding back.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2011, 11:52:28 am »
So, loaded bikes up the hills.....

Clarion, I refuse to believe that you'd be slower than me.   

CrinklyLion

« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2011, 12:22:12 pm »
Deano, I feel it only fair to warn you that I have ridden some bits of that route - indeed, I've ridden some of them more than once.  This could lead to dangerous traces of me knowing where I am.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #17 on: 31 March, 2011, 01:17:16 pm »
What a brilliantly ridiculous idea.  Dunno whether I'd ride up from this side (the one true side) of t'Pennines and meet you there for breakfast, or come to York first, but count me in either way  :D

« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2011, 01:36:57 pm »
You are all absolutely barking mad..... :o

so I may as well sign up........... ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »

mcshroom: sounds perfectly doable.  Lovely route through Dufton and wotnot potentially, but wouldn't it be easier to go to Penrith and catch a train there (my knowledge of the WCML is pretty limited).

Penrith would be easier to cycle, but Carlisle would mean I could get a single Northern train home so no messing around with bike reservations and fixed trains on the WCML. There's always bail outs along the line from Kirkby Stephen if it seems too tough though  :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:02:24 pm »
Build it, and they will come....

but count me in either way  :D
so I may as well sign up........... ;D
Well, whatever kind if madness I settle on for getting home, count me in for now!
Put me down for this one.
Me too, sounds like too crazy a plan to miss out!  :)
You bet!
;D
will walking the use of two feet a 24" gear be allowed?
Either way I'm in  ;D, (stuff permitting)
Lungs, knees and weather permitting.   :thumbsup:

Actually, sod the lungs.  And it seems reasonably likely that there will be Weather at the top of Tan Hill, so sod that too.
This sounds spiffing.

\o/

(someone should ask Jane if she can make it!)

« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:08:53 pm »
*goes to negotiate beer discount with Tan Hill Inn*

;D

« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »
this is Tiptop territory - she doesn't frequent the forum much, maybe someone with a phone number can let her know about the ride?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2011, 03:50:49 pm »
I refer the honourable gentleman to reply 6 :)

« Reply #24 on: 31 March, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »
Deano, I feel it only fair to warn you that I have ridden some bits of that route - indeed, I've ridden some of them more than once.  This could lead to dangerous traces of me knowing where I am.

Blimey, CL, which bits?  Apart from Sunday's route, obv.  It's easily remedied, mind - the shortest route from York to Scotch Corner is probably via the A167. humdrumhumdrumhumdrum  Nah.  We'll go over Aldwark and Ripon.  I'm assuming the Arkengarthdale roads aren't the ones you mean :)

Bill - starting from the west is probably easiest for you, unless you can get some cheap tickets to York and ride with the gang.  I wonder if mcshroom and any other westerners would find a western start easier?  There must be a 24-hour services somewhere along the M6 corridor - the only ones I can think of are Southwaite (too far north) and Tebay (not 24-hour).