Linked Events

• FNRtSR, THE Tan Hill ride: 31 August, 2012

Author Topic: FNRtSR, THE Tan Hill ride 31st August, 2012  (Read 8798 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
FNRtSR, THE Tan Hill ride 31st August, 2012
« on: 30 April, 2012, 01:10:16 pm »
Pretty much the same route as last year, meet @ York station for 23:00 (due to the increased distance and lumpyness)

Should I try and book breakfast at Tan Hill or would I be wasting my time?

Start list (and train time):
Tiermat (23:01 is this the same one as you, mcshroom?)
Mcshroom (23:01)
andrewc (22:38)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: FNRtSR, THE Tan Hill ride
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:15:16 pm »
Tiermat - can you amend the title to include the date (I'm totally confused this year as to what his happening when...)

Thanks

tiermat

Re: FNRtSR, THE Tan Hill ride 31st August, 2012
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:18:53 pm »
Your wish is my command :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »
31st August !!! - count me in.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »
Yes please (can we have the same weather too?)

Another option for the timings could be to start at NTR instead of York, but 11pm at York should be fine.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:24:08 pm »
Sorry, I can't.  I'm off elsewhere pretending to be young again that weekend. 

From memory, last year Deano rode up after work one evening to discuss breakfast with the pub.  Then did it again on an evening that the landlord was actually there.  Then was supposed to ride there, and meet billplumtree for a pint, to pay the deposits and stuff but wimped out due to Weather. Then we rode there another time to actually pay the deposit on the breakfasts, and to confirm numbers/numbers of veggies. 

They were Very Grumpy with me when I got there because I was a LOT later than I was supposed to be, but I didn't care and I don't think that is atypical for them anyway  :D

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »
Hmmm, maybe. Depends on bike. When will you need to know by?

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »
Doosh, 30th August :)

Seriously, for brekky I think, as CL says, I will need to book ahead of time (will check with them some time in the next couple of weeks) and pay a deposit.  for the ride though, if you are not bothered about the breakfast/want to sort your own thing out/whatever then any time before the ride sets off is fine.

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:32:31 pm »
Oooh breakfast is mandatory! Made all the up worth it, last year  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:29:55 pm »
Hmmm ...*ponders*
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »
The road up to Tan Hill has to be one of the most beautiful climbs in the UK. Not really hard, just hard enough to make it feel like an achievement with stunning views for the whole ride.

Last year there were several of us very late. We were delayed by punctures getting to Scotch Corner, and a bit tardy at getting going again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »
I'm not sure on date compatibility with The Schedule - but also... Last year's Tan Hill ride was the best ride I've ever done. The weather was simply perfect, the company - fabulous, and there was the challenge of a fat f*cker like me getting up there on fixed.

Not sure it can be topped.

Then again... it's tempting...

« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »
Great things can't be repeated. And without Crinkles & Deano, well...

(I'm talking it down because I'll be having my 3rd attempt at getting to the start of the New Forest On/Off Shore and with the best will in the world I can't get from Tan Hill breakfast to Lymington start in time.)

It's a bloody brilliant ride. Top of my list last year.

« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »
I was talking to CL about this on the FNRttC. My thoughts were along the lines of "Could it ever be so perfect again ?"
Obviously without CL and Deano, it couldn't be.
Having said all of that, I think that I'm in  :thumbsup:

It was my favourite ride of last year for the reasons that have already been stated: the company, the route, the weather, the views.

tiermat

« Reply #14 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »
@ Choco and fboab, yes it can as perfect, but it will be a different type of perfect.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #15 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »
Presunktly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:12:09 pm »
This is tempting, but there are other attractions that weekend. Mildenhall, possible trip to Belgium and / or Holland...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:14:54 pm »
Isn't Mildenhall the week before?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:16:04 pm »
Isn't Mildenhall the week before?

Looks like it :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:36:48 pm »
So it is. There's still the possibility of the Belgian / Dutch camping trip though, and I think Mrs. Wow would thoroughly enjoy that, even though she will say in advance that she doesn't want to go.  :demon:

« Reply #20 on: 30 April, 2012, 07:43:37 pm »
So it is. There's still the possibility of the Belgian / Dutch camping trip though, and I think Mrs. Wow would thoroughly enjoy that, even though she will say in advance that she doesn't want to go.  :demon:

Pray tell......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 30 April, 2012, 07:52:37 pm »
I reckon last year's ride could be easily improved on by requiring less opiates on the way up, even if the weather and company aren't as good, and my comedy off-roading ability suffers...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:10:07 pm »
This

It was my favourite ride of last year for the reasons that have already been stated: the company, the route, the weather, the views.

is my opinion too.

I know even now that a lot of water will pass under the bridge chez joglerville before 31 08 12 so I'll not know for some time if I can attend.
I do want to but cannot commit at this time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:33:56 pm »

Pray tell......

My wife claims not to like camping so I've spent enormous sums of money to make it as luxurious as possible: Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT (lots of space) Exped Downmat (her curvaceous form does not like to sleep on hard ground), down sleeping bag etc. She still comes with me occasionally, but would always prefer a B & B.

AndrewC, currently battling with a cold in the Hebrides, took a trip to Belgium last September, had a great time, and commented, when I had speculated about a trip there, that he thought at the time that it would be very suitable for Jan and me. The summer is rapidly filling up with commitments: we are off to Gower on 28th July, my sis-in-law, who is splendid and lovely, is organising a family "do" on 18th Aug and so we will need to go after that if we go at all. Much as I have to agree with everyone else about the excellence of last year's Tan hill ride, it looks to be at a time when I may just be enjoying the last camping trip of the summer. So I'm very doubtful.

We can get to Belgium or Holland fairly quickly and cheaply, either by getting a Harwich ferry (we could cycle to that, although the train takes 90 minutes or so) or train to Dover or somewhere and then cycle form Calais, or wherever it lands. I won't start teaching until about the third week in September so that gives us plenty of time for the tour, but 31st Aug sits right in the middle of the period in which I want to be there.

« Reply #24 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:10:23 pm »
Let me know if Mrs Wow does not want to do this. I would really fancy a Euro sojourn. Was hoping that Mal Volio and Tewdric could go on one but circs prevent this.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain