Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 25246 times)

Re: Liverpool
« Reply #75 on: 16 July, 2020, 05:32:37 pm »
There's a certain perception that if they had just focused in the last couple of games then they could be on for a 104 point season, which would give them a shout as the greatest season in the history of top flight football. Especially given 97 last year! Likewise, winning all of the home games would have been something for the ages.
I  think it's interesting how the City 100 point season carried on after they won the league. I feel like it illustrates the difference between a City side that dismantled many teams at will, while this LFC team are a bit heavier on intensity, focus and effort, and lighter on elegance and style. I wonder if the intensity would have dropped if Hendo or Milner were fit.

« Reply #76 on: 23 July, 2020, 12:30:48 pm »
That game last night could have had about 12 goals!
This seasons home league record - W18, D1.

« Reply #77 on: 23 July, 2020, 01:16:31 pm »
That game last night could have had about 12 goals!
This seasons home league record - W18, D1.
A suitably mad game to crown a crazy season. No-one looked happier than Klopp. Who can deny his unbounbing passion for the game.  Great celebrations in our house (including the normally passive cats that had a mad hour to coincide with the ceremony).

The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #78 on: 23 July, 2020, 01:18:54 pm »
It was certainly a terrific game to watch.  Liverpool's opening goal (Keita?) was one of the best I have ever seen.  But I think Chelsea were unlucky that Sadio Mane wasn't sent off for what appeared to me to be a blatant dive, which led to that terrific free kick goal by Arnold.  I saw Mane dive earlier in the season, too and it's disappointing that a manager like Klopp doesn't stop him.  OK, it's a way to get an edge but it leaves a bad taste.  It was a terrific tackle by the Chelsea player who got the ball and not the Mane.  This sort of behaviour penalises skill.

But all the goals were very good, weren't they?  Hard to predict next season.  Liverpool's performance since the restart hasn't been spectacular and Salah looks a trifle slower than we're used to.  But Manchester City are a bit rocky, too.  I think Chelsea may do well, though I think they need to off-load their arrogant and currently ineffective keeper, if only to make it easier for commentators!

As for the behaviour of SOME fans, I'll bowdlerise Shankly:  "Covid is a matter of life and death - football is less important."

Duncan, Liverpool are playing my side at the weekend in the final match.  Could you ask them to declare at half-time, please?

« Reply #79 on: 23 July, 2020, 02:51:39 pm »
The first one was Keita, and it's kinda what we were expecting from his time in Germany - pressing high and driving at the defence. Long may it continue. In defence of Mane, while the Chelsea player got the ball with his foot, he landed on Mane's ankle with his arse hard enough to twist it over a bit. I never liked the way that the likes of Owen would dive (knock it past, trail a leg, fall over as soon as that leg touches something), but the way the game is refereed these days you get penalised for staying on your feet. If someone booted you over the stand but you landed on your feet and ran back in, the ref wouldn't give a foul. The commentators reference it a lot, especially with regard to cards and players getting straight back up or staying on their feet after violent conduct, and it drives me nuts.

As for the weekend, we've been giving gifts in our last few matches - maybe it's a good day to play us. There's nothing riding on it for either club, so it wil be interesting to see how they approach it.

« Reply #80 on: 23 July, 2020, 03:04:21 pm »
Cheers, Duncan, I'll thank you for the gifts now - in case they don't materialise on the day!   I may have had one anyway because there is a rumour The Lads won't be bought by the Saudi assassins!  So we might end up with an honest owner - just like everyone else!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #81 on: 23 July, 2020, 04:58:01 pm »
But I think Chelsea were unlucky that Sadio Mane wasn't sent off for what appeared to me to be a blatant dive

Give over. I expect better of you, Peter.

The first offence was the hack on Mane's ankles by the Chelsea player, and the free kick was the correct decision.

The furore over that incident typifies what this season has been like for Salah and Mane - they get no favours from refs, despite constantly having lumps hacked out of them. So they sometimes go to ground to help the ref make the right decision. And get a reputation as divers because of it. It's because of dickhead refs like Atkinson and Marriner who "like to let the game flow" that the more agricultural players get away with so much foul play against Salah and Mane - which, to be fair, is their only option given that they are totally outclassed skills-wise.

Doesn't help when you get pundits like Shearer being totally two-faced about diving. On one occasion he might say "the defender has given him an excuse to go down", on another it will be "it's a contact sport, you have to stay on your feet". Strangely, he never says the former when it's a Liverpool player. Some might suspect him of bias.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #82 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:10:59 pm »
D, I only have a very small screen and I never have the sound on, because I have the same opinion of pundits as you but am therefore not prejudiced by them.  If I get a chance to see it again, possibly on yer tube, I'll happily retract if you are right!  However, there did seem to be enough time for Mane to think, "Hang on, what is it I'm supposed to do in this situation?  Oh, I remember....."

I agree with your general point about nifty players being subjected to the Leeds Chop, which should not be confused with anything perpetrated by Ron Harris or Tommy Smith!

Edit:  Hmmmm.  Just watched the Lampard interview.  I know you might expect him to say that but he was a lot closer than any of us (except the ref., natch!)

« Reply #83 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:33:25 pm »
It was a tackle from behind and in that circumstance if you catch the player at all it is a free kick. Mane's scream and the referees hesitation might have swayed some people but it was the correct decision. I would have thought that Lampard would have known the rules but he has to defend his player.

The keeper didn't have too much chance with the free kick, it was going into the top corner but which one? He couldn't cover them both
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

citoyen

« Reply #84 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:35:15 pm »
However, there did seem to be enough time for Mane to think, "Hang on, what is it I'm supposed to do in this situation?  Oh, I remember....."

I'm not saying Mane didn't make the most of it. My point is that the first and greater offence was the hack by the Chelsea player on Mane's ankles.

If it had been a different player, many pundits would say he was justified in going to ground for that, but for some reason the pundits never see it that way when it's Mane.

citoyen

« Reply #85 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:36:36 pm »
I would have thought that Lampard would have known the rules but he has to defend his player.

I have no axe to grind with Lampard's reaction. It's only right that managers defend their players.

« Reply #86 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:38:29 pm »
I would have thought that Lampard would have known the rules but he has to defend his player.

I have no axe to grind with Lampard's reaction. It's only right that managers defend their players.

Absolutely
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

citoyen

« Reply #87 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:43:55 pm »
Anyway, I'm a Liverpool fan, I've got nothing to moan about. Life is good.

Peter, I don't much care about the result on Sunday - I could even take a defeat, as long as Salah gets a goal to match Roger Hunt's record of scoring 20+ in the league in three consecutive seasons. He's still agonisingly one short...

« Reply #88 on: 23 July, 2020, 05:51:47 pm »
Anyway, I'm a Liverpool fan, I've got nothing to moan about. Life is good.

Peter, I don't much care about the result on Sunday - I could even take a defeat, as long as Salah gets a goal to match Roger Hunt's record of scoring 20+ in the league in three consecutive seasons. He's still agonisingly one short...

Who'd have thought it?!

Yes, it only has academic interest on Saturday, although I'd like to see Andy Carroll get on the scoresheet.  Also, Salah has been a terrific player but I'd like to see the record stay in English hands!  (By the way, Mane is also a terrific player and a not inconsiderable gymnast!)

Then it's all over ….. for a week!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #89 on: 23 August, 2020, 09:50:48 pm »
I understand that if Bayern Munich win the European Cup, Barcelona will owe Liverpool €5m.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #90 on: 23 August, 2020, 10:43:31 pm »
The rumour was that the clause was player-related rather than club-related but the Echo are now reporting that it’s bollocks.

Not sure if it has been confirmed either way.

« Reply #91 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:09:46 am »
The only portion of the transfer fee left unpaid is about 5 mill if Coutinho makes 90 appearences for Barca (He's currently on 75, Lets hope the new manager likes him). There was a clause triggering payouts every time Barca reached the CL semi final stage which have been paid.

The interesting clause which I didn't know about until recently was one stopping Barca signing any more Liverpool players (or having to pay a hefty premium) until 2020.
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #92 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:48:19 pm »
Current table makes interesting reading:-

Liverpool top - with the worst defensive record in the division; 15 conceded.  7 of those were against Aston Villa and Saint Van Dijk, the "world's greatest defender ever" was playing for Liverpool.  It's going to be an interesting season, though I suspect it may be abandoned when the authorities finally realise what an appalling example sportsmen are setting with their cuddling and snogging!

« Reply #93 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:00:45 pm »
The players are inside their own bubbles, though right? So in Covid terms, it's the same as hugging their family.

In terms of the table, we have a small sample size problem. Everton and Southampton would be in the Champions league, and Man U are 6 points off the relegation zone!

« Reply #94 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:05:30 pm »
Yes, it's much less boring, isn't it!

Regarding the snogging, I'm not so sure how effective the sports "bubbles" are: all sorts of games are getting cancelled with players being ill.  And all sorts of people in families are getting covid, too.

citoyen

« Reply #95 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:21:11 pm »
Several Liverpool players have been confirmed as having had covid, and there are a few more suspected but unconfirmed. I imagine it's much the same across other teams. Given the amount of travel involved and close contact with other people, it seems inevitable that players will continue to get it, however careful they are in training and off duty.

Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive three times. Rumours abound that Lionel Messi is trying to catch it four times to outdo him.

« Reply #96 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:48:25 pm »
 Good one!

« Reply #97 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:18:46 pm »
Several Liverpool players have been confirmed as having had covid, and there are a few more suspected but unconfirmed.

Can't see anything online about this.  Got a link?
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #98 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:05:12 am »
Several Liverpool players have been confirmed as having had covid, and there are a few more suspected but unconfirmed.

Can't see anything online about this.  Got a link?
Shaquiri got first, Keita and Tiago tested positive for covid around the last international break https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/410566-thiago-alcantara-tests-positive-for-covid-19 , and Mane missed the Villa game with covid https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/411091-sadio-mane-tests-positive-for-covid-19.
If you google the name and covid then you can find all the details. International games feel like even more rolling of the dice than normal club games.

citoyen

« Reply #99 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:12:06 am »
Shaquiri got first

Not officially. During the summer, Shaqiri seemed to go missing from the club's training camp for a spell and there were rumours it was covid, but no reason was ever announced. He has more recently had a confirmed positive test while on international duty with Switzerland.

The thing is, the club can only confirm it's covid with the player's consent, and not all players may be happy for that information to be made public. Origi is another who went missing for a while with no explanation. You can see this happening at other clubs as well.

Ajax, who played Liverpool in the Champions League two weeks ago, currently have 11 players out with covid.