Author Topic: Wheelchair friendly stations  (Read 2672 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Wheelchair friendly stations
« Reply #25 on: 16 October, 2019, 12:50:31 pm »
This video of gives an example of when a step free access doesn't really mean you can use the station without help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZ16SAihl8

Now I'm wondering if wheelchair users have an equivalent of "comedy off-roading" for describing that sort of thing.

« Reply #26 on: 16 October, 2019, 01:15:14 pm »
Stolen from Ereslehw and posted here with a suitable dose of  :demon::
It was wondered what the effect would be if on a Saturday Scope and other disability organisations arranged for two unbooked wheelchairs on all the unmanned stations on the route
Quite possibly they would just be refused help and hence access to the trains.

Even people with booked tickets (and booked assistance) have been refused boarding onto a train, simply because the wheelchair space was full of suitcases. Theoretically illegal, but the ToC got away with a feeble apology.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 16 October, 2019, 02:57:07 pm »
Stolen from Ereslehw and posted here with a suitable dose of  :demon::
It was wondered what the effect would be if on a Saturday Scope and other disability organisations arranged for two unbooked wheelchairs on all the unmanned stations on the route
Quite possibly they would just be refused help and hence access to the trains.

Even people with booked tickets (and booked assistance) have been refused boarding onto a train, simply because the wheelchair space was full of suitcases. Theoretically illegal, but the ToC got away with a feeble apology.
The idea was from someone who observed his driver-only operated train of the type used in the SouthEast delayed because a wheelchair user was waiting on the platform of an unmanned station. Apparently the driver got out and deployed the on-train ramp, which obviously delayed the train a bit. So his point was partly about DOO, partly about dwell times and partly about wheelchair access.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #28 on: 16 October, 2019, 09:04:26 pm »
The Equality and Human Rights Commission have a fund for people who might be willing to take strategic legal challenges against transport providers for FAIL so ToCs and RoCs had better watch out.

Law firm Fry Law are lending free cameras to help folk collect evidence of fail.

I think disableds are going to have to strategically serially sue and just keep suing till a ruling is made on it and ToCs sort their shit out.