Author Topic: New Garmin with 80hr run time  (Read 3447 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
New Garmin with 80hr run time
« on: 16 February, 2021, 01:24:50 pm »
The Garmin Enduro is aimed at ultrarunners and claims an 80hr run time. They just need to make a bike version and that's the audax market sewn up...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/702797/pn/010-02408-00
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: New Garmin with 80hr run time
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2021, 01:26:32 pm »
They also need to make it £500 cheaper  :o

Garmin already do some quite neat power packs for cycling GPS

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2021, 02:25:37 pm »
my edge 530 lasted 66.5h (with backlight and beeps disabled), with night temperatures as low as 3'c. in summer temperatures it should reach mid-70h, so not far off.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2021, 02:29:00 pm »
Quite impressive.
And up to 300 hours in "Max Battery GPS Mode". That won't record as detailed a track, but still could be useful.

For cheaper options, the Instinct Solar can do 38 hours with GPS.

A bike version would be great. Would be easier to use a bigger battery and bigger solar panels, if the weight doesn't matter so much.

« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2021, 02:48:38 pm »
my edge 530 lasted 66.5h (with backlight and beeps disabled), with night temperatures as low as 3'c. in summer temperatures it should reach mid-70h, so not far off.

Was that with the additional battery pack or just the 530 on it’s own? I’ve been impressed by how slowly mine uses charge, but could imagine it lasting that long.

Davef

« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:10:37 pm »
The 1030+ quotes 24 hour normal with everything on and 48 hours if you switch bits off, notably Bluetooth. There is also an extreme mode where it shuts down the screen completely until you are approaching a navigation point. You can double those times with the added battery pack.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:13:57 pm »
How do GPS watches do navigation? I presume they send instructions to earphones or (for cycling) a phone screen, but I'm only guessing. I realize it's not the priority for buyers of these devices but this one does claim to do it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:21:28 pm »
The display is 35mm and the bezel is 51mm x 14mm. That's huge. You could stick this on the bars of your bike.

(I have bling-lust for it)

citoyen

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:39:35 pm »
The display is 35mm and the bezel is 51mm x 14mm. That's huge. You could stick this on the bars of your bike.

(I have bling-lust for it)

Hadn't appreciated the size of it. Just measured my FR620 and the display is 25mm, so the Enduro is a whole cm wider. That's a significant difference!

« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:42:40 pm »

Was that with the additional battery pack or just the 530 on it’s own? I’ve been impressed by how slowly mine uses charge, but could imagine it lasting that long.

Zigzag rides so fast that he actually goes back in time.

That 66.5hr was just the time he spent hanging around in controls.

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »

When he gets to the finish, he discovers the world has been taken over by chimps and orangutans...

Well, that's what he thought until he realised that's just what audaxers look like.

« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:58:12 pm »

When he gets to the finish, he discovers the world has been taken over by chimps and orangutans...

Well, that's what he thought until he realised that's just what audaxers look like.

Very likely, because when Zigzag gets back to the finish, the ride hasn't even started yet.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2021, 04:46:52 pm »
How do GPS watches do navigation? I presume they send instructions to earphones or (for cycling) a phone screen, but I'm only guessing. I realize it's not the priority for buyers of these devices but this one does claim to do it.

My Suunto does it by displaying a GPX as a breadcrumb trail on the watch face on one of several screens you can swipe between.
So you just look down at your wrist.
Works very well.

There's no mapping on mine, but I think some Garmin ones have mapping.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:53:34 pm »

on its own, without the external battery. it was left to sit outside in the garden, with gps enabled and logging in 1s intervals. real riding time might be different (or not).

Davef

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:03:01 pm »
The feature I would like to disable on my watch is the notification of yacf posts. I don’t know what I have done to enable it but it is incredibly annoying.

« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:04:29 pm »
I know how to do this on mine  :smug:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:05:09 pm »
The feature I would like to disable on my watch is the notification of yacf posts. I don’t know what I have done to enable it but it is incredibly annoying.

If it's only YACF notifications that annoy you, turn it of at YACF! Otherwise, it'll be in Settings.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:05:57 pm »
So, if we keep making posts saying, 'Hey, Dave!', how will that go down...?! ;D

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:08:16 pm »

Hello Dave!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:21:55 pm »
I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Davef

« Reply #20 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:30:37 pm »
It would be nice to be able to switch off certain notifications from going through to the watch but I suppose I could switch them off in general. It is fine normally but just when you get people have an argument it really reduces battery life.

« Reply #21 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:47:14 pm »
It would be nice to be able to switch off certain notifications from going through to the watch but I suppose I could switch them off in general. It is fine normally but just when you get people have an argument it really reduces battery life.

I'm sorry Dave but you are wrong.   Charge your watch, this debate needs to be resolved.

« Reply #22 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:49:05 pm »
There's nothing in this Garmin that isn't already in my Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire aka the "Thief of Joy" (ToJ).

I'm interested in esim and a payment method that is popular in the UK.  Almost no banks use Garmin Pay:  my main bank does not and the bank that I am currently considering moving to does not either.  Much of the excessive tech is turned off due to information overload and/or battery drain so a bigger battery might be useful but I'm not prepared to shell out just for that.  And, if I read the specs correctly, the glass is not sapphire glass: a choice I paid extra for last time as the cost of screen protectors is significant over the life of a watch.  My sapphire screen remains blemish-free after 9 months which for a clumsy oaf like me is a welcome thing.

« Reply #23 on: 03 March, 2021, 01:46:49 pm »
I found and watched DCRainmakers review over on teh tubes.  From what I saw it is much closer  to the functionality in a watch that I would want than my Fenix6 Pro is but of course it was not available a year ago.

It still lacks eSim and Garmin has yet to see sense and join Google Pay preferring their own payment system which is not popular outside of the US.

Interesting to note that some of the new apps and widgets on the Endure are coming to high end Forerunner and Fenix models soon.

Now, an Endure Sappbire eSim might just tempt me but I don't see that happening this year.