Author Topic: Which next drill  (Read 8380 times)

Which next drill
« on: 15 April, 2021, 09:37:36 pm »
I think my Aldi 14.4V Workzone cordless job has drilled/screwed its last.

What should I be looking at to replace it with?

I probably wouldn't use it loads, but when I do it'll be proper timber constructions and metalwork. I'm not rolling in cash, but am ready to buy something that'll last.

Is it time to suck it up and get one of those 18V DeWalt ones for ~£100?

Re: Which next drill
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:48:54 pm »
Robert Dyas currently have an 18v Makita reduced from £153.99 to £133.99.
Not that there's that much wrong with De Walt, but Makita is (IMHO) slightly better quality.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:08:59 pm »
Nothing bad to say about my 18V Makita drill (it's one of the lighter LXT ones with a brushed motor).  Or the circular saw, until I dropped it[1].  The little hoover thing[2] is rather handy for swarf, random stairs-mud and sucking up LED legs.  The multi-function oscillating tool is also brilliant, but it's designed for someone with significantly larger hands than me.

The batteries are evil, though, as the management electronics will brick itself in response to three failed attempts to charge.  'Safety' feature apparently:   The problem comes when you leave the battery lying around for long enough that whichever cell powers the management electronics goes under voltage, which means it fails to charge.  "Hmm" you think, and remove and replace it in the charger, thinking it's not seated properly.  Still not charging.  You now have one more go.  At this point you need to be savvy enough to dismantle the battery and charge the cells back up to spec individually with a lab power supply or similar before letting it near the official charger again, otherwise its game over.

In practice, I've yet to experience this failure mode[3], but I'm careful to recharge the batteries after use, and they generally get used for something every few weeks.  If it's going to spend a lot of time gathering dust, another manufacturer might be a better bet.

[1] Causing the dust extraction attachment thingy to snap off.  I was able to obtain a replacement for under a fiver.  And then repair the original with epoxy while waiting for it to be delivered.
[2] Dyson fangirl MIL kept threatening to buy me a cordless Dyson thing.  So I bought the Makita as a pre-emptive strike.
[3] I've had three batteries:  Two official Makita 3Ah ones bought in 2014 and 2017 respectively, still going strong.  One Chinesium knock-off that died of chronic cell-imbalance within a couple of years of light use.  Turns out that the imitations don't even attempt to balance the cells, which makes them a false economy unless you particularly enjoy hacking batteries.

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:51:25 pm »
hmmm, yes, I like Makita stuff (thanks for the tip, Jurek!), but that battery lockout thing would be a liability with my usage patterns. Poop.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:03:37 am »
My Bosch, the previous model to this:- https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/psr-1800-li-2-06039a3100-v100035553 is has done me very well. It's got two batteries, and the hedge trimmer takes the same batteries, which meant that I was able to buy that without batteries and just use the ones that came with the drill.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2021, 07:35:14 am »
I bought an erbaur recently. two batteries, decent bag/case (with lots of space for things like bits and screws).

It is a decent drill, good driver. Not brilliant as a hammer drill - but then I'm drilling stuff that my mains 750W drill struggled with.
About £90
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:46:55 am »
I got a DeWalt. OK for occasional use.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2021, 09:03:42 am »
I've got a nice Black and Decker.

I bought it 50 years ago.

But it's not cordless.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2021, 09:11:55 am »
I think for occasional use and something that'll last, I'd go for corded. And they're much cheaper for the same quality.

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2021, 09:50:16 am »
I think for occasional use and something that'll last, I'd go for corded. And they're much cheaper for the same quality.

This ^

But ....

Corded drills tend to be very good as drills (and hammer drills) but tend not to be dual function ie drill / drivers so it depends what you want. And they are so convenient.
Also cordless drills aren't that expensive any-more its the batteries that are expensive. So if you pick a manufacturer you can get a one and a couple of batteries then you can get other tools from the same manufacturer as naked  versions (ie without batteries) at a reasonable price and then just use the batteries you already have.
This does mean going with the big guys - Makita / Bosch/ Metabo / Dewalt or Milwaukee.
Stay away from own brand stuff as there is no guarantee you can get compatible stuff or even a matching new battery the next year (or even the next month).

II just blew about £300 on a Metabo 18v combi drill and impact driver but that gets me three batteries to play with which will be enough for anything I need so my next tool will be a naked one.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:04:24 am »

I'm already fighting power tools being designed for bigger hands than mine, and I find corded tools add extra weight and pull where I don't want it. I don't often have a power outlet near where I'm working either, so it's cordless for me.

Diver300's comment got me thinking about other tools that could use the same batteries, and I ended up in much the same place as this:
[...]its the batteries that are expensive. So if you pick a manufacturer you can get a one and a couple of batteries then you can get other tools from the same manufacturer as naked  versions (ie without batteries) at a reasonable price and then just use the batteries you already have.

I'm also thinking seriously about getting a drill and an impact driver, as continuously swapping between pilot bit, clearance bit, countersink and driver on the current project is getting a bit tedious!

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:17:26 am »
Metabo have an offer on at the moment where you can claim a free battery. Need to spend about £280 at a recognised Matabo dealer.
Worth looking at depending on how much you want to spend. My drill and impact driver set qualified so I got an extra 4A/h battery (or will when they get round to sending it).

I used https://www.kelvinpowertools.com mainly because everywhere else was out of stock and I needed them for this weekend. Got this set:

https://www.kelvinpowertools.com/metabo-18v-brushless-set:-combi-drill-impact-driver-2x-4ah-lihd-c-110-p-20506

I like Metabo but I expect the other major brands are just as good at the same price points. I borrowed a friends Milwaukee set the other week and that was great, just didn't like the look as much and whilst its a tool I though I might as well get something I found pleasing. The drill is made in Germany the impact driver is designed in Germany but made in China. I also like the pulse function on the Metabo for removing stuck or damaged screws.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:41:33 am »
I'm also thinking seriously about getting a drill and an impact driver, as continuously swapping between pilot bit, clearance bit, countersink and driver on the current project is getting a bit tedious!

On this basis I took a punt on the surprisingly skookum knockoff Makita impact driver, back when it was about 26USD delivered.  So far the little magnet that helps keep the bit in place has disintegrated[1], but this doesn't seem to have caused any bit-falling-out problems.  The trigger's a little sensitive, but I don't have a sense of whether that's normal or not - my woodworking projects tend to be at the more delicate end of what you'd expect to use something like this for.  Disclaimer: I haven't performed any drop tests onto a concrete floor from the top of a ladder, or coupled it to another impact driver for bit-to-bit combat.

I've also bought the ubiquitous knock-off angle grinder, which seems to be based on the same electrickery, for a similar price.  Limitations of the 100mm disc size notwithstanding, it's been fine for the few jobs I've used it for.  (So far it's done more service removing rust with a flap disc than actual grinding.)

Both seem to be good value for what they are.  And they're cheap because I already have the batteries.  If I wear them out, I'll replace with proper ones.

[1] It appeared to be a bog standard neodymium magnet (presumably) glued to the bottom of the (?)chuck, so I don't know what they expected to happen.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:15:38 pm »

I love my Makita. I don't use it all the time, I only use it every few months maybe, but it's fine. Like Kim, I have the Vacuum cleaner as well, which was a brilliant purchase, as it is so much less faff than getting the big one out the cupboard. Means I actually vaccum up after my bike has shed sand and mud over the living room floor again.

I have a white makita that was on offer from screwfix. i think it has a brushless motor, but I'm not sure, it works, and it's great. Life is too short for shit tools. Buy a makita.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:17:51 pm »

<Snippety-Snip!>
 continuously swapping between pilot bit, clearance bit, countersink and driver on the current project is getting a bit tedious!
I have a couple of these (Well, not De Walt but, in terms of performance - identical)
https://tinyurl.com/s4nfptx3

It might not be obvs from the picture, but this will let you drill a pilot hole, counterbore it, countersink it and fasten the screw without ever having to loosen the chuck.
It's very fast in action.
I've been using them for about 30 years.

ETA - I've just placed an order for the De Walt one as the corners of the hex shaft which goes into the chuck on my one  are, after 30 year's use, somewhat rounded.
ETFA - This:
https://www.montanabrandtools.com/products/modular-drill-and-driver
Is closer to the one I have - it has the advantage of an allen key located in the hex shaft, for undoing the grub screw which retains the pilot drill bit. It has a further advantage that the screwdriver bits are magnetically retained (so easily swapped), and do not rely on a grub screw to keep them in place.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:23:55 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:25:56 pm »
Found a picture where you can see what's going on: https://www.s10supplies.co.uk/product/dewdt7601qz-dewalt-dt7601-8-sa-connector-with-holder-pozidriv-no-2/

So the thingy can be swapped end for end between drilling and screwing?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #17 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:26:54 pm »
Found a picture where you can see what's going on: https://www.s10supplies.co.uk/product/dewdt7601qz-dewalt-dt7601-8-sa-connector-with-holder-pozidriv-no-2/
Thx Kim.

<Snip>

J
That's it!

« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:36:56 pm »
There was a time when just about every tradesman had DeWalt/Makita/Hitachi depending on their trade.  Now they all seem to have whatever has been on offer from Screwfix, you can draw your own conclusion, I suspect the differences between them are not what they used to be.
My builder neighbour uses Bosch, apparently for battery interchangeability, not just Bosch's own but the choice from third parties.

« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:38:01 pm »
Bought my son a Bosch drill driver for Christmas last year.  Much impressed with it.  Only £70 but is very effective at drilling concrete, screwing etc.  Would get one for myself if I didn't have so many others!

https://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-power-4-all-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-psb-1800-li-2/3165140867764_BQ.prd
https://www.diy.com/departments/bosch-power-for-all-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-0-603-9d4-170/4053423225297_BQ.prd

B&Q claim that the second is brushless, if that's true then go for that one.

More details on an Amazon page

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-UniversalImpact-Batteries-Carrying/dp/B07RT58VSF

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:22:04 pm »
I have a Makita 18v cordless drill/driver and it will drive a 6" screw and bore  a 3/4 inch hole through 4" Southern yellow pine , which is hard, without a grumble. I can also use the batteries in my vibrating poker, which keeps the wife happy
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:23:01 pm »

I'm already fighting power tools being designed for bigger hands than mine,

MrsC likes the erbauer. Balance and handle size suit her fairly slender and arthritic hands.

a lot of screwfix own brand is fine. I bought a titan kango/SDS. It is at least as good as my neighbour's hilti. He struggled drilling holes in the blocks used for houses here. Mine went through it like hot knife through butter.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 17 April, 2021, 10:37:27 am »
Thx Kim.

<Snip>

J
That's it!

That does look like a useful thingy!

I've been looking around and it seems I'd be willing to go up to towards £200 for a drill+driver kit. Useful thingies may mean that's not necessary, but also £300 is out of my budget!

I'm seeing a few recommendations for Bosch online based on battery swappage potential. Currently I'm paying more attention to the specs of things, costs of replacement batteries, and also checking out what else is in the range.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 17 April, 2021, 12:37:40 pm »
On the battery front, it appears that Anna Daptors are readily available for the popular systems, so no problem if you buy into Bosch for drills and drivers but decide the Makita hot-wax-drip unsightly hair remover[1] really is better specced.

[1] Cordless on account of an insufficiency of plug sockets in the scanning room.

« Reply #24 on: 17 April, 2021, 09:01:25 pm »
Matabo are leading a battery compatibility group. Unfortunately its only European manufacturers who are taking part so far with the Japanese and Americans staying propitiatory. I can see the EU mandating this at some stage its the kind of thing they do.