Author Topic: Islabikes Second?  (Read 24991 times)

JJ

Re: Islabikes Second?
« Reply #25 on: 11 February, 2013, 12:24:20 pm »
Based on having both currently in my garage, I'd say that in practice the Ridgeback is just as good a bike as the Islabike, with different plusses and minuses, but a lot cheaper.

Islabikes make lovely little machines and they really win at the next size down, but there's a lot more competition at this size, and IME, their benefits are somewhat over-hyped.

YMMV

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26 on: 17 February, 2013, 01:38:09 pm »
I just bought a CNOC 16" for our grandson who'll be 4 next week  ... 3 years old as new condition for about 65% of new cost - and that's a bargain from what seems to go on ebay (it came with stabilisers (unused) and a spare set of tyres)

Very, very impressed with Islabikes - well worth the extra cost over the mass-market stuff.

Plan is that I "manage the fleet" for grandchildren - at present we have 2 x Pashley Pickle traditional trikes, 1 x balance bike (not a Rothan still pretty good) - and they get passed on as when.

Rob

UPDATE : Said bike was delivered to Grandson yesterday - he got and with the gentlest of pushes from his father to get started he was away pedalling furiously, no stabilisers ... BUT stopped after about 50 yards, got off and "checked the tyres were hard" !!   .. not bad for a lad who was 4 last week  :)

After that there was no stopping him .. I'm just glad I'd taken my folder so I could keep up with him while the rest of the family strolled along (where he lives there's a perfect tarmac road of about 3/4 mile, through a farm - ideal for him to ride on)

God, I feel old.

Rob

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2013, 02:07:41 pm »
:D :D :D :D :D
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #28 on: 03 June, 2013, 03:18:47 pm »
For those of an islabike bent but with less than sufficient readies, have you seen Frog bikes?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 04 June, 2013, 08:39:47 am »
That balance bike is about the same price as an Isla Rothan.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #30 on: 04 June, 2013, 08:49:02 am »
For those of an islabike bent but with less than sufficient readies, have you seen Frog bikes?

I had a long conversation with our very own Torslanda about these a couple of weeks ago.

The thing they have over Islabikes is that, included in the price, is delivery to, and PDI by, a LBS.  I also believe the first service is included (labour only)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #31 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:38:48 pm »
Just joined the Islabikes community; Andrew's getting a Cnoc 16 from Father Christmas (who's got a most acceptable deal on ebay!)

I'm sure he'll be thrilled.  The next challenge is getting a big enough stocking  ;)

« Reply #32 on: 06 December, 2017, 08:36:15 pm »
Wahey !!  Lucky lad.
Rust never sleeps