Author Topic: Stopping resellers of tickets  (Read 1393 times)

Stopping resellers of tickets
« on: 23 November, 2011, 07:02:21 pm »
About time someone did

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15852582

Strikes a positive chord with me.  I hate it when I cant get a ticket, but theres loads on sites like Get Me In at highly inflated prices.   Get me in  is owned by Ticketmaster company and I dont believe for one tiny little minute that all the tickets being sold are from people who cant make it.

I recently spent all day trying to get a £35 ticket for Billy Connolly.  When I finally got through they had all gone.   Now available at £100+ on lots of reselling sites.

I dont mind paying a fair price but this obvious profiteering really rankles. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Stopping resellers of tickets
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »
The word is that the touts' price often drops shortly before the event as the prices being asked aren't achievable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
She declined to comment on which methods were being used to identify resold tickets, but said it was the first time the gallery had taken such measures.

Have these tickets got the buyer's name on them?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »
There was a BBC music docco last week - possibly about grunge?
Anyhoo, the band in question boycotted Ticketmaster (along with a few other acts) and it created a huge ruckus, but basically most of the music industry didn't seem to give a shit. the band lost loads of bookings cos TM had a monopoly with the venues.

So I think hardly anyone cares, cos everyone in the business gets rich, and punters are too blinded by adoration and/or being a teenager.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »
Anyhoo, the band in question boycotted Ticketmaster (along with a few other acts) and it created a huge ruckus, but basically most of the music industry didn't seem to give a shit. the band lost loads of bookings cos TM had a monopoly with the venues.

So I think hardly anyone cares, cos everyone in the business gets rich, and punters are too blinded by adoration and/or being a teenager.

You're probably just about spot on, doesn,t stop it annoying me though, maybe its because I'm a couple of years past being a teenager  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »
A sure way to stop, well to greatly reduce, ticket reselling, would be to stop selling them in advance. Just have people queue up, pay their £16 and go see Leonardo. This would also be a lot "fairer" for disorganised people like me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2011, 10:04:48 pm »
A sure way to stop, well to greatly reduce, ticket reselling, would be to stop selling them in advance. Just have people queue up, pay their £16 and go see Leonardo. This would also be a lot "fairer" for disorganised people like me!

Unfortunately that would never wash with the licensing authorities for popular events in general, but more for pop gigs and sporting events.  Advance ticketing is the most powerful tool for controlling crowd numbers, hence the large number of free events that are ticket-only. 

A popular art gallery exhibition is an interesting one.  I guess they don't want the grief and bad publicity of the inevitable family-with-disabled-child-came-down-from-Inverness-specially who couldn't get in.

Glastonbury have got good at preventing reselling, but the measures you need to take are expensive in themselves.

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2011, 01:06:55 am »
The word is that the touts' price often drops shortly before the event as the prices being asked aren't achievable.

A long time ago, mind, I got four ten pound tickets for  £35. He could probably afford the difference.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:04:10 am »

It was about Pearl Jam - those miserable buggers.  I enjoyed it.  they took on Ticketmaster in their idealistic days.

Now they have just sold out, they have even done a TV advert for Target, the US supermarket chain!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_jam#Dealing_with_success:_1993.E2.80.931995
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:24:14 am »
Why stop reselling?

At least it gives you the choice of paying more for a ticket. If tickets are allocated by some other means then tough.

I often buy tickets for Test Matches from resellers (aka touts). Sometimes I pay over the face price, sometimes less.