Author Topic: "Sticky" disc brakes  (Read 1495 times)

"Sticky" disc brakes
« on: 02 November, 2010, 09:32:12 am »
The hydraulic brakes on my bike (now about a year old) have started to feel a bit "sticky" almost as though there is stiction in the brake cylinders.

I'm guessing there is some contamination around the seals.

Is there a recommended way to clean them?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: "Sticky" disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:55:41 am »
Recently cleaned a pair of disc brakes which had been GREASED! FFS!

Didn’t use anything other than nylon brush, cloths and brake cleaner.

Don't forget to clean pivots, pins etc and don't use anything sharp near the rubber seals.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:57:12 am »
I've always got away with just working the pistons in-and-out (my oldest brakes are 12 years old and counting). Preferably, fit some old worn-out pads to protect the pistons, put a knife blade into the gap and push the pistons back into the caliper. Squeeze lever to bring the pistons out again. Repeat until pistons move freely. A drop of hydraulic fluid into the gap can help lubricate the seal, but it's probably best to shift any grit first - soapy water and a brush should be fine for that.

Just be careful not to allow them to come out all the way (the pads should help avoid this). If you get a sudden flood of hydraulic fluid, you've allowed the seal to come out too far. If this happens, just make sure everything is clean, ease the piston back in, and then re-fill and bleed the system.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:09:45 am »
What brand and model? Some disc brakes have problems with piston alignment.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2010, 12:04:23 pm »
Shimano M575.

I'm also a bit wary of the vertical alignment. They're wearing down the rotor spokes. Should I shim them out to prevent this, or is this OK?

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »
I'm also a bit wary of the vertical alignment. They're wearing down the rotor spokes. Should I shim them out to prevent this, or is this OK?

Not a problem, unless it effects the 'feel' of the brakes in a way you don't like (which I assume is not the case, as you're asking the question!).
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2010, 03:11:42 pm »
I got time to strip things down at the weekend and discovered the problem - paper thin disc pads. I'd completely forgotten that I hasd not replaced the pads on this brake. I replaced the rears, but didn't have time to do the front ones as well and then forgot about them...

With the new pads on I have smooth-acting brakes with loads of power and modulation.

What a muppet. Should have checked eh?!!

« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2010, 04:18:36 pm »
Cleaning the pistons with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud often work wonders too.