Author Topic: Adapting a Cooper Monaco to flat bars  (Read 1623 times)

Adapting a Cooper Monaco to flat bars
« on: 02 July, 2014, 06:11:27 pm »
Evans have the Cooper Monaco on offer at £1000. It's about the only bike I can find with the 11-speed Alfine hub (unless you know otherwise).

Anyway, I wouldn't use the drops and would swap to flats. That would necessitate several changes, I suppose, not just the bars.

The shifters would need replacing, and separate brake levers would be required (wouldn't they?).

Would the disc brake calipers need changing or could they be used with MTB levers?

I'd have to experiment with bars and stems too.

So, what I'm wondering is what I could expect to flog the Versa shifters for. I'd also ditch the Brooks Swallow saddle. I think the sale of those could well finance, or go a long way towards, what I'd like to do.

Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Adapting a Cooper Monaco to flat bars
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2014, 06:17:09 pm »
I'd imagine that the disc brakes are road disks, not mtb disks thus you'd need levers like the ones you had from me for flat bars recently.

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2014, 06:55:16 pm »
Er, did I? I've had lots of bits and bobs from you, PB, but don't recall any levers. Doesn't mean to say I haven't, like...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
I sold some Alfine 8 speed Versa levers for £75 recently. As Polar Bear says you'd need to use a mtb lever with a road pull. Plus you'd need a new Alfine shifter.

And I wish you hadn't shown me that link. That Monaco is a beauty

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2014, 08:59:24 pm »
Shimano r660 levers, £20, rapidfire shifter, £45, bars and stem, even if you go for really nice ones, you'll still be quids in!

Do it would be my best advice...

Eta: it's bl-r550 or bl-r770, my mistake.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/products/road/flat_handlebar.html
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2014, 01:15:38 am »
Is it me or do the forks look wierd with the forks angled away from the bike?

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2014, 06:39:10 am »
Er, did I? I've had lots of bits and bobs from you, PB, but don't recall any levers. Doesn't mean to say I haven't, like...

Shimano flat bar road levers.

« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:28:45 am »
Alfine 11 equipped road bikes are thin on the ground at the moment. Is it a new bike you're after specifically?

I have a 2012 Dawes Nomad and I know On One used to sell the Pompetamine with Alfine 11.

I like my Nomad, bought for a song on ebay. It has no disc brakes and it's not quite as attractive as the Cooper but it's otherwise well-specced with a 631 frame.
instagram / twitter: @bluemcardle

PH

« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
Is it me or do the forks look wierd with the forks angled away from the bike?
If you think the forks look odd, have a look at the geometry chart  ;D
The website is full of marketing hype about racing cars and tracks, but they can't get what little they tell you about the bikes right.  They were demonstrating at the Orbit Festival last year, I had a test ride, nice enough bike but poorly assembled, indexing way out and brakes binding. 

« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »
You'd have to run a verrrry long stem to get the right reach and that will mean it won't steer all that well.