Author Topic: 'Hot foot' SPD issues...  (Read 8865 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: 'Hot foot' SPD issues...
« Reply #50 on: 11 September, 2013, 10:23:09 pm »
While I use Shimano shoes for most occasions, on longer rides (100k+) use my Northwaves, which are radically different, effectively stiff road shoes but still with recessed SPD.

Unless you play football in your cycling shoes, you could unscrew those circular bits at the front and throw them away.  You feet will be lighter (rotating weight too) and better ventilated/drained.   ;)

I've used Northwaves for the last 14 years**, and Shimanos before that.  I don't find any significant difference between them.  At my price point both have stiff soles, though not as stiff as I'd like.

** the first pair lasted me 11 years, quite exceptional.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #51 on: 14 July, 2014, 03:17:41 pm »
Anecdotal evidence, but I went and bought a pair of stiffer soled shoes and some Look pedals to replace my Shimano road/touring spd.  Wore them on a very hilly 200 (4.5AAA) and felt the difference with the power transfer immediately and did not get hotfoot.  It was a very warm day.  I feel sure I would have been struggling after 100k or so with the old set up.  Prior to this, hotfoot was the limiting factor on my rides.  One swallow doesn't make a spring, but this is a very good sign.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 14 July, 2014, 03:20:28 pm »
Anecdotal evidence, but I went and bought a pair of stiffer soled shoes
Glad they worked for you!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles