Author Topic: (yet?) Another bar-end shifter query.  (Read 1512 times)

(yet?) Another bar-end shifter query.
« on: 05 May, 2015, 09:36:28 am »
I've a bike grouped out* in 9 speed Tiagra incl. STI levers but I prefer using bar end shifters, as on my other bike. 

It seems to me that it's a fairly simple matter of swapping cables and replacing the STI levers with plain brake levers - is it that simple? Is there anything I haven't thought of?  Would 10 speed be backward compatible with 9 speed?

Recommendations for good brake levers, nothing too fancy would be appreciated.  (I am already reeling at the price of bar-end shifters since I last bought some :o )

Thanks

* does this term exist?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Chris N

Re: (yet?) Another bar-end shifter query.
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:45:15 am »
Bar end shifters are cheap.  Have a look at the price of a set of STIs.  :o

You'll need to decide where you want to run the gear cables (under the tape to the stem or popping out below the brakes) and re-tape the bars too (good excuse for new bar tape), but that's pretty much it.

Tektro make some good cheap brake levers that would do - the RL340 - but personally I don't like the shape.  SRAM S500 are much nicer to hold, but 3 times the price.  Shimano BL-R400 are nice too.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2015, 12:51:59 pm »
... quick 2p - taping* the cables alongside the brake levers and emerging near the stem MAY give you issues if you are using the indexing (which is only the RH/rear) .... my preference is bar ends in friction so not an issue.

*Pre-tape the cables tightly to the bars with duct tape before applying the visible bar tape - makes for more stable changing/braking IME.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2015, 01:54:24 pm »
I've a bike grouped out* in 9 speed Tiagra incl. STI levers but I prefer using bar end shifters, as on my other bike. 

It seems to me that it's a fairly simple matter of swapping cables and replacing the STI levers with plain brake levers - is it that simple? Is there anything I haven't thought of?  Would 10 speed be backward compatible with 9 speed?

Recommendations for good brake levers, nothing too fancy would be appreciated.  (I am already reeling at the price of bar-end shifters since I last bought some :o )

Thanks

* does this term exist?

These are a complete bargain. Brilliant levers at a (relatively) silly price

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTRPRRLA/trp-rrl-alloy-road-brake-levers

Mike

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2015, 02:06:36 pm »
The most economical option?  Just leave the STI levers in place, but don't wire up the flappy bits.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »

Thanks

* does this term exist?

These are a complete bargain. Brilliant levers at a (relatively) silly price

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTRPRRLA/trp-rrl-alloy-road-brake-levers

Mike

Thanks, they are and I have a pair ordered.

The most economical option?  Just leave the STI levers in place, but don't wire up the flappy bits.

It may not be.  The STIs are pristine and little used so I'd expect a bit for them on ebay.  And of course there is the weight penalty.. :o

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »
Personally, with bar end shifters I saw a few cm (3cm?) off the end of the bars to avoid the bar / lever combination being too long and risking contact with knees. Then I have the cables exiting the tape about 2cm from the levers, with a sculpted bit of high density foam to guide them downwards to make space for fingers on the drops. By having the cables so exposed, changing the outers requires minimal faffing with the tape, and the curve of the cables is very smooth.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2015, 02:13:43 pm »
I have Tektro R340 levers cheap light and work well.. coupled with bar end shifters, mine are indexed only for the rear though but the setup does work really well