Author Topic: Addiction: Biological or Cognitive? Essay help, please  (Read 1239 times)

Addiction: Biological or Cognitive? Essay help, please
« on: 17 November, 2023, 04:20:31 pm »
For reasons I won't go into, I need to write 1500 words on the above topic asap. It's more of an overview than anything detailed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? BTW, my knowledge of psychology is zilch!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Addiction: Biological or Cognitive? Essay help, please
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2023, 04:43:05 pm »
A quick read of this might help

https://www.bmj.com/content/383/bmj-2023-075354

And a quick look at the References, you might find something of interest.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2023, 04:50:20 pm »
As Dr Beardy would tell you, the nature/nurture argument is an intellectual cul-de-sac. In this instance nature is obviously biological and nurture is cognitive.

AIUI, the general academic consensus is that it’s always a bit of both.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2023, 04:59:11 pm »
Sounds like a job for ChatGPT  :P

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2023, 05:58:35 pm »
The need for something is a thought, it may present in mind or body but it's a thought
Thoughts can be ignored. manipulated, managed etc.
Cognitive

Can't find the article about how Eastern Psychology can be proven right by disconnecting the sides of the brain (used in extreme cases of epilepsy) and doing a test.

« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2023, 07:11:08 pm »
ChatGPT for the win.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2023, 08:33:23 pm »
[Non-academic opinion based on clinical experience]

Why 'or'?
It's BOTH!

Some substances, like heroin, are intrinsically addictive. That's why they are controlled drugs.
Other substances, like alcohol, are not always addictive. Many folk might drink some days but the abstain for ages. Other folk DO become addicted to alcohol. There's a biological basis for this in some alcoholics but others turn to drink because of circumstances.

Some folk get addicted to other harmful behaviours, like gambling. The 'addictive personality' is widely discussed by Learned People.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2023, 10:34:53 am »
 :thumbsup:

Look no further than the Audax section for a selection of happy addicts to pain, bodily discomfort and caffeine.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2023, 12:03:37 pm »
[Non-academic opinion based on clinical experience]

Why 'or'?
It's BOTH!

Some substances, like heroin, are intrinsically addictive. That's why they are controlled drugs.
Other substances, like alcohol, are not always addictive. Many folk might drink some days but the abstain for ages. Other folk DO become addicted to alcohol. There's a biological basis for this in some alcoholics but others turn to drink because of circumstances.

Some folk get addicted to other harmful behaviours, like gambling. The 'addictive personality' is widely discussed by Learned People.

Could you just expand that by 1300 words? 🙂

I'm going for it this afternoon. What little hair I have may not be there later...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2023, 02:51:54 pm »
Sorry, I have a MOUNTAIN of dirty dishes to wash...

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2023, 03:03:28 pm »
If its a job app then you could argue the points with references either way.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2023, 06:56:21 pm »
As a complete non-expert, I just think addiction is emotional and non-addiction is cognitive. Being in denial is an addictive, emotional response, self-preservation is otherwise.  Everybody is a bit of both depending on circumstances.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2023, 01:34:37 pm »
Phew, that was tough. It ranged from dopamine receptors to poor parenting via in-groups!