Author Topic: Looking for cake inspiration....  (Read 1762 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Looking for cake inspiration....
« on: 07 September, 2010, 05:11:12 pm »
So, CrinklyCub the elder is going to be nine.  We've booked the climbing wall, are awaiting acceptance or polite refusals from a handful of carefully deliberated over guests, and are being lazy sensible and getting the leisure centre to do the catering.  So all I need to make is a cake.

Cake I can do :)

But what shall we decorate it as?  We've had humungous double-decker buses, giant fairy-tale castles with toblerone crenellations,

pirate treasure chests, bugs and toadstools

and (last year when he was 8 and it was really obvious) a figure-of-eight racetrack with chocolate racing cars.

What would be good for a 9th birthday cake?

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Looking for cake inspiration....
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
It has to have a bike theme of sorts...

Perhaps the Pennines with a Cub riding over them?
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2010, 05:42:24 pm »
How about a bike chocolate cake - 2 x 7" sponges for wheels - chocolate mini rolls for diamond frame(joined together with chocolate butter icing and the handle bars I will leave to your imagination  ;) ;D

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2010, 06:14:17 pm »
One I did for my daughter when she was about that age was a mountain & downhill skiing - you could do mountain biking to commemorate his riding achievements? It had the wow factor for sheer size. plus you can have fun with little figures falling down etc.It was a mixed media cake, I seem to remember I had various strengthening verticals inserted, made up out of standard cakey-cake stuck together with buttercream to get the complicated shape.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2010, 07:40:42 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2010, 07:56:56 pm »
The chocolate dalek has been mentioned here in the past :)

However, I am going to need to get said cake safely to the party.  This involves a 20 minute walk to the bus stop, and a half hour bus journey (with between 2 and 6 small boys - I'm not sure how many I'm collecting on the way!).  Height restrictions may apply....

The boy is interested in a mountain-type construction.  With a cliff, and people climbing it, as well as a road with someone cycling and possibly some off-roading...

Why didn't I get in there first with the (completely straightforward) KOtM suggestion!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2010, 07:58:43 pm »
and possibly some off-roading...

Don't forget the blood...   :D

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:03:14 pm »
This was my eldest ones cake a couple of years ago  ;D
Yes, he hadn't long fallen off his bike  ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:03:47 pm »
NARWHAL!

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #9 on: 08 September, 2010, 07:43:25 am »
This is a 3D one I did for our street party for the Queen's golden jubilee (the queen is cake, too)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:02:25 am »
That's a bit advanced for me!  Mind, I didn't even bake cakes until the boy's 5th b'day, and the only reason I started was because Granny (who traditionally makes the cakes around here) was really poorly so I had to.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:07:25 am »
What is going on with the standards round here? it took 8 posts before Narwhals were mentioned, and 9 before we started heading for NSFW!!!!

Buck your ideas up :)

No cake ideas I'm afraid CL, I have been really lazy for the last 3 years or so and let someone else do the cakes for TLD....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #12 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:27:19 am »
Mrs Chris is into making birthday cakes for the wee chris'. Some of these might help with ideas -

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:50:27 am »
A cup cake tower might be good

One birthday Vorsprung Jnr had a batch of chocolate brownies with lots of candles stuck in them.  I think she was a bit older than 9 though

« Reply #14 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:57:30 am »
Mine have settled into really predictable cake requests- No1Daughter has chocolate smarties cake, No1Son has apricot cheesecake, No2Son has proper fruit cake with marzipan and icing, but a little one he doesn't have to share, and No2Daughter has smarties chocolate too.

My cake my mum made for my last significant b-day had a winter mtb scene complete with little lady on a mtb. She even has a dark ponytail like mine. Being an ungrateful beggar I pointed out her bike was the wrong colour. Mum said her shoes were wrong too, but I hadn't noticed that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 08 September, 2010, 05:24:17 pm »
This is a 3D one I did for our street party for the Queen's golden jubilee (the queen is cake, too)

Expect a knock on the door from some Beefeaters.  Off to the Tower for you, you treasonous wretch! 

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

CrinklyLion

« Reply #16 on: 26 September, 2010, 09:06:52 am »
I managed to persuade him that the KISS theory should rule, thank goodness.  Still up til goodness knows what time the night before baking, and had to decorate it rather last minute (i.e. finished it at about 12, setting off for the party about 3....) as realising at 3 am that someone else has used up the entire packet of icing sugar put a bit of a spanner in the works.

« Reply #17 on: 26 September, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
King of the Kake ! love it ;-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #18 on: 26 September, 2010, 09:52:48 am »
Are those slices of salami?  ???

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor