Author Topic: Poo sticks  (Read 52951 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Poo sticks
« Reply #125 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:42:19 pm »
I'm overdue a test, given that I was 66 5 months ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #126 on: 21 November, 2020, 09:45:26 pm »
I've just received a letter.

"As part of the national response to covid-19 the national bowel scope service was paused & decisions are now being made about the future of this service." 

Once these decisions have been made etc etc.

I've just sent this to y daughter in Oz. She said

Wtf?!
Heather Walker sent Today at 21:44
I'll forward
Run by public health England as well
Do you have access to the full letter?
Can remove names etc

Also:

What?!
Heather Walker sent Today at 21:43
They'll be all over it
I can't see that happening
It's the most effective programme
Cuts deaths by 1/3 from bowel cancer if optimally used

She used to work at Cancer Research UK.

Given this government's propensity for wrecking everything, it would be entirely in character for them to do this.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #127 on: 21 November, 2020, 10:08:00 pm »
I'm overdue a test, given that I was 66 5 months ago.

Seems things are slipping more. Mine arrived 4 months after my early June birthday.

Hmm...

« Reply #128 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:42:33 pm »
???

That sounds like they are gong to discontinue it...

Nah, they'll hand it to Serco/Capita/G4S/Rupert, the treasurer at Matt Hancock's dad's golf club

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #129 on: 16 December, 2020, 05:54:22 pm »
I was thinking 'Mine was four months after my birthday and RR's not yet 4½ months past his birthday. He'll get his card soon...'

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #130 on: 08 January, 2021, 02:26:18 pm »
I had a letter this morning (actually I had 2 - both from the NHS) saying I could expect the kit in 2 weeks' time.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #131 on: 08 January, 2021, 03:29:29 pm »
[OT]
So it's not just AUK that sends out missives in duplicate then...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #132 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:26:46 pm »
Oh my, how they have changed. (I know this is covered upthread but this is my first encounter with the new style)
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #133 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:48:31 pm »
Tut its cut backs don'tya know!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #134 on: 11 January, 2021, 06:01:11 pm »
The new sticks are about 2.5mm in diameter IIRC and have ridges about ½mm tall that need to be covered, over the length of a centimetre or two.
It doesn't need much!

« Reply #135 on: 19 January, 2021, 07:57:05 pm »
I have just had a letter.

"The NHS is no longer offering bowel scope screening services across England and is extending the home testing programme from April 2021. We would therefore like to invite you to receive the home testing kit, called a FIT kit. 

Like a bowel scope a FIT kit can detect bowel cancer at an early stage in people with no symptoms. It's a simple way to find out if you need further tests.  Around 2 in every 100 people who return  a kit may need further investigations such as a colonoscopy.

You will receive your home testing kit in the post after April 2021 and we will contact you again before sending it to you. We will also provide you with information to help you decide whether to take part in FIT screening."

Best available option under pandemic conditions or cost cutting ?

Edit:

https://twitter.com/CSPRG_Imperial/status/1350182599092793344?s=20

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2021/01/14/bowel-scope-screening-to-stop-in-england/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #136 on: 17 February, 2021, 11:56:20 am »
I'm due another test and haven't heard from anyone.

I suspect they have got Serco to combine poo sticks with a Covid test - back of the throat, up your nose, up your arse. It's important to get them in the right order.

This prompted me to look back through this thread for my last test.
September 2018.  So it's already 4 weeks late.

Mine has turned up.  5 months after I would have expected it.

Ooh. It's very different to the old three lollipop sticks. Much easier and all done in one go.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #137 on: 08 March, 2021, 01:52:43 pm »
Jan and I have each received a letter in the past few days telling us that our poo-kit will be arriving post haste.

« Reply #138 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:45:42 pm »
I reckoned mine shoud have arrived late Jan, so I phoned the centre a couple of weeks ago to find out what was happening.
Told they are running late due to covid, and I should get the test in late June.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #139 on: 08 March, 2021, 05:06:01 pm »
I reckoned mine shoud have arrived late Jan, so I phoned the centre a couple of weeks ago to find out what was happening.
Told they are running late due to covid, and I should get the test in late June.

Bloody hell.  You'll be desperate for a poo by then.  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #140 on: 08 March, 2021, 05:14:17 pm »
If these are supposed to arrive around one's birthday, they're running about six months behind. MrsC's arrived on Saturday. Her birthday is mid-August.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #141 on: 26 March, 2021, 01:00:50 pm »
I enjoyed the delights of poo sticks a week or two ago and this morning I had a letter congratulating me on the pristine condition of my bowels.

« Reply #142 on: 26 March, 2021, 02:06:51 pm »
I've just phoned to ask for a test kit (over 75 so it doesn't come automatically), very easy - wait in queue for a bit, give NHS number, nice person sends one.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #143 on: 26 March, 2021, 05:02:59 pm »
(over 75 so it doesn't come automatically), very easy

Just saw this ^^ and had visions on poking a stick up there to get a sample and help it on its way, then, of course, I re-read it.  ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #144 on: 26 March, 2021, 06:45:07 pm »

Just saw this ^^ and had visions on poking a stick up there to get a sample and help it on its way, then, of course, I re-read it.  ::-)

Well, if there's anything to be found there Blod old chum, you're the one to find it  ;D

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #145 on: 26 March, 2021, 07:09:05 pm »

Well, if there's anything to be found there Blod old chum, you're the one to find it  ;D

ah! yes, well, I only pick up useful things...... ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #146 on: 30 March, 2021, 09:46:14 pm »
Got the test kit today. Only seven years behind schedule  :thumbsup: The apparatus is rather more dinky than what we got when I worked in a water treatment works (think teaspoon and a test tube).

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #147 on: 30 March, 2021, 11:50:35 pm »
A friend of mine is about to issue legal proceedings against Dept of Health... Cos when they send out poosticks they don't check the Visual Impairment register (which is a thing) so send out instructions blind people can't follow and don't offer alternatives. They could be sending emails offering a GP surgery nurse administered alternative.

I know how impossible it is to get a Covid test if blind and can't self-administer (watching the buck passing was painful), I can't imagine a bowel screening alternative is much better.

I expect friend will succeed, he's responsible for a fair bit of legislation that bolsters disabled people's right to access case.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #148 on: 01 April, 2021, 12:11:57 pm »
I can't do that without a tardis!

Had a conversation with younger daughter today - she works for Cancer Research UK. She was telling me that bowel cancer is the third biggest killer in the UK, after breast and lung. From what I understand the polyps take about 50* years to develop and if you have the flexible sigmoidoscopy at 55 any they find will be removed and you won't need it done again. CRUK are currently pressurising the government to introduce these tests a a matter of course, to be followed up with the sort of test that I have done this week. It is estimated that incidences of bowel cancer will be reduced by 50% if FS becomes universal.

*I think this may be wrong and a result of me mishearing her - she was speaking to me from Melbourne. I think 15 is more likely.

I've been re-reading this thread. It's fascinating.

I've quoted the above because, in a recent conversation with the same daughter (she now lives in Melbourne and runs the Victoria State skin cancer awareness campaign), she told me that the government dropped the proposal to introduce universal flexible sigmoidoscopy for 55 year olds. She reckons that it would have been the most cost-effective cancer screening programme anywhere in the world.

« Reply #149 on: 30 April, 2021, 07:53:45 pm »
A small package has arrived...   I'll wait until after the weekend to return it....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark