Author Topic: My first S24O: Runswick Bay  (Read 6493 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
My first S24O: Runswick Bay
« on: 23 June, 2016, 06:34:13 pm »
Ruthie introduced me to audaxing, and has now introduced me to the S24O. I never know how my journal of a ride is going to go until it starts to hit the screen - and this one seems to be more of a reflection on fear than a description of riding around the North Yorkshire Moors coast. Oh, and how I really should have read the yacf threads on sleeping mats before heading out with only a compressed foam roll-mat as luxury. Next time I'm taking a Therma Rest Neo Air. And perhaps a proper pillow with feathers.

I've also been moving my journal away from blogger onto a managed wordpress site. I was thinking that ride stories don't have a sell-by date and that having a map of stories would be useful - but this means I'm having to go back through all 150 stories and reformat them. Well, I get to read through them all again. It is interesting how story telling changes with time.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: My first S24O: Runswick Bay
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:52:49 pm »
Graeme my love, due to circumstances and stuff I have TWO, count 'em, TWO downmats.  You're welcome to borrow one or both any time you like, that I'm not using them meself.

I don't remember introducing you to Audax or S240.  Why do I always get the blame?   ;)

Your best ride report yet imho   :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:55:53 pm »
Graeme my love, due to circumstances and stuff I have TWO, count 'em, TWO downmats.  You're welcome to borrow one or both any time you like, that I'm not using them meself.

I don't remember introducing you to Audax or S240.  Why do I always get the blame?   ;)

Your best ride report yet imho   :-*

You also made me cycle up Carlton Bank too. Cycling might not be your fault, but teasing me into silly stuff definitely is. :)

Would love to test your down mats.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »

You also made me cycle up Carlton Bank too. Cycling might not be your fault, but teasing me into silly stuff definitely is. :)

I like to see you suffer Graeme.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:58:40 pm »
You took a picture of my workplace!

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:06:35 pm »
I was on a pre-work ride, mere minutes from you - your picture of Saltburn Pier contains the same Mackerel sky I took a pic of for OT Gallery/Clouds!

Nothing beats Wilton Lane first thing in the morning for waking up the neurons.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:12:21 pm »

This is how we roll in Teesside. Going on holiday to where other people work. Remember kids, its grim up north.

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »
Lovely pictures and an interesting story.  I should give this a go, we have so many good options for this sort of trip in the North East.  I'll have to book something in with the current Mrs Socks while the long days and (possibly) nice weather is here.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:34:00 pm »
Hard climbs! I don't think I could manage 33% unladen let alone with 20kg on board. I thought the whole idea of S24O was that it should be wild, but I guess a campsite's just as good if you want. Oh, and this Ruthie character sounds a dangerous person to know!

Let me guess, you're the penguin with the stripes nearest the camera?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:43:31 pm »
I love some of the names. Fryupdale: I had to check this was a real place not a nickname like Toytown!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:02:35 pm »
I love some of the names. Fryupdale: I had to check this was a real place not a nickname like Toytown!

Indeed. If ever there were a place where I'd open a cycle-friendly cafe with a keto menu, it would be there.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:12:59 pm »

Deano took a group of yacfers to Fryup on his Keep to the Roads ride, it is a beautiful place to cycle if you have brakes.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2016, 10:47:34 pm »
The only time I ever toyed with the idea of bivvying was when gitty mcplumgit posted this:

Ullswater bivvy by billplumtree, on Flickr

Then I realised that if I did that I would totally roll off the hill in my sleep and die to DETH.  You might not be scared of dying Graeme, but I bloody am. 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #13 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »
Another great write up from Graeme.  :thumbsup:
I really write up my campsite assisted S24O at Easter, now that I've got over the fact that it was supposed to be two nights!

« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:38:02 pm »
Sounds like a fantastic trip Graeme. And that photo is gorgeous.

I'll be S24Oing tomorrow with any luck but my planned actual riding is steadily decreasing as I contemplate work, trains and weather. Still any miles are good miles and it means getting home on Saturday without any restrictions timetable-wise.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:43:49 am »
Thank you, Ruthie. On a pretty shitty day, your post made me LOL  :D.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:33:50 am »
It made tea go up my nose!

And Graeme, that's a great writeup, loved it all the more for having Saltburn content.  But 20kg?  That's not much short of what I took to Scotland for a 2-week ultra-luxurious not-much-cycling trip...

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 24 June, 2016, 11:24:24 pm »
It was only my first S24O... I know I can get more cleverer at this and pack betterer too.

« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:54:11 am »
Fabulous, Graeme, as usual.  I'm glad your calling is making you free to worry about important things like sleeping mats!  I'd never heard of S24O before but now I realise I've done one.  My first 400 was a solo perm of the Old 240 (see, it's almost in the title!).  It's true I didn't camp but it was certainly wild and I hope a sojourn eating flatbread in a toilet in Kettlewell at dawn qualifies.  As I came over Yad Moss from Alston the sky was almost staggering under the weight of stars.  A spiritual experience for me, for certain.

Thanks again.  Hope to see you on the 3rd.

Peter

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2016, 11:15:51 am »
Great write up and it looks like you had fun

But when I do a 24h ride I don't take a tent.  I plan to ride straight through and only stop for 10 minutes if I get the proper dozies

Love Ruthie's friend's picture

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2016, 11:24:26 am »

Love Ruthie's friend's picture

That'd be billplumtree vorsprung.

I think a S240 involves a sleep, doesn't it?  As well as a ride?

Found a reference!

A S24O (pronounced “Es-Two-Four-Oh”) was coined by Grant Peterson of Rivendell. It is a sub-24 hour overnight bike camping trip. The beauty is that it takes little time commitment (less than 24 hours) and if you forget something in your packing, it’s not the end of the world.

http://www.bikecommuters.com/2008/06/24/what-is-a-s24o-only-the-greatest-thing-ever/
Milk please, no sugar.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2016, 11:42:19 am »
I guess I've done rides including a sleep ( on the Exmouth Exodus for example ) but usually in these circumstances the only camping "equipment" i have with me is a silk sleeping bag liner.  I have got a bivvy bag and a self inflating mat but I always look at the weight and leave them at home.  The bivvy has had one outing only so far

« Reply #22 on: 25 June, 2016, 11:21:36 pm »
I'm a bit ambivalent about the S24o thing - on the one hand, it's a thing that people have been doing for donkey's years without the need for an acronym, so Rivendell stamping their name all over it and claiming it is a bit annoying. On the other hand, it's obviously encouraged you (and probably many others) to do it by awakening them to the idea, and Rivendell are hardly a mega-brand using it to put their name out there.

Anyway - lovely ride and report, G.

« Reply #23 on: 28 June, 2016, 11:08:19 am »
I'm a bit ambivalent about the S24o thing - on the one hand, it's a thing that people have been doing for donkey's years without the need for an acronym, so Rivendell stamping their name all over it and claiming it is a bit annoying. On the other hand, it's obviously encouraged you (and probably many others) to do it by awakening them to the idea, and Rivendell are hardly a mega-brand using it to put their name out there.

Anyway - lovely ride and report, G.

See also: microadventures.

Looks a good trip Graeme. I had planned on spending most of my summer under canvas, but I just won't have the time. Looks like I'll be filling my time with these kinds of trips instead.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #24 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:08:14 am »
After re-reading this ride report, and drooling over the gorgeous photos, it's striking how much the countryside has changed in the few weeks since then.  The limes and yellows of June have been replaced by deeper greens, the heat is heavier, and I've had to start dead-heading the roses.

Death walks beside us but has no sting - we walk in victory.

Stuff like that. 

Cycling gets us out to be in amongst all that beauty, it's a wonderful hobby isn't it?
Milk please, no sugar.