Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 56792 times)

Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #300 on: 24 September, 2022, 08:31:20 am »
Hi guys, I have two questions, is it possible to let some stuff at the starting point which I will not need during the ride.
Second question, finish time is on Thursday 02:00 AM? In the Mail, it would be Friday.

« Reply #301 on: 24 September, 2022, 08:36:15 am »
I’d take the control open/close times with a pinch of salt, if I were you. 90 hours from 8am Sunday is 2am Thursday morning.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #302 on: 24 September, 2022, 09:18:55 am »
Yes I noticed a clerical error last night on the control opening/closing times for the return leg. They've now been amended and you should have had an email this morning with the new amendments. The cut off is 02:00 am Thursday. See you tomorrow!

Andy Corless

« Reply #303 on: 24 September, 2022, 09:19:55 am »
Also just to note that McColl's in Kirkby Stephen has been shut since Spring.  There are cafe/bakeries in town or turn (first) left on Station Rd after Nateby, then R down the main drag where there is a Spar.  You can also do a R just after leaving the main road for the Soulby road and visit the big Coop then double back to the route.  Easy enough to see all that on Google Maps.

I'm not expecting to get to the new control at Broughton until very late (if at all) and am assuming a photo of some landmark will be accepted.  Anyone know different?  I was also a bit confused about 'diverting' into the Crianlarich control, in the guidance it mentions Tyndrum as the control - is it 'either or' do we think?

Doesn't look like a route sheet is forthcoming :(

« Reply #304 on: 24 September, 2022, 02:27:28 pm »
Can any gps users send me a gpx file of the second half (from Kirkhill to finish).  I can't get my Etrex 32x to 'see' the full route when I download it from ridewithgps and I do not have an account.  It is the section from Crianlarich to Abington I am really keen to have, I can follow my notes easily enough outside of that section.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #305 on: 24 September, 2022, 02:37:01 pm »
Can any gps users send me a gpx file of the second half (from Kirkhill to finish).  I can't get my Etrex 32x to 'see' the full route when I download it from ridewithgps and I do not have an account.  It is the section from Crianlarich to Abington I am really keen to have, I can follow my notes easily enough outside of that section.
I might be way off here but the etrex will only cope with 10,000 track points and when it's uploaded the track will finish prematurely if it's over this number. If it is this, you could split the track (I do it in Basecamp) or run it through Lighting Phil's tool https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/ to reduce the track points, apologies if I've misread the problem

« Reply #306 on: 24 September, 2022, 02:46:37 pm »
You should be able to download a copy from here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41026736

There are a couple of edits. One to follow the Caledonian canal path after Fort Augustus and another to avoid the A9 through Stirling. But apart from that…

« Reply #307 on: 24 September, 2022, 03:39:35 pm »
That's handy - thanks.  Am relatively new to GPS and am still getting to grips with the whats and hows - many thanks.

« Reply #308 on: 24 September, 2022, 04:19:25 pm »
You don’t need even need to split the track if you put it through my tool https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/.   The track out of ride with gps has 21,113 points and after through my tool with default settings it’s 5,902 points.  The Etrex will easily cope with one 1200km track with that many points. I ride all my audax with tracks simplified with the default settings. That’s why I have them as defaults, simplifies my workflow.

My other tip is to set the track log to record less often, that is one less (on menu) than normal,  and auto archive track logs at midnight. The 10,000 track point limit also applies to track logs and if it’s exceeded can cause the Etrex to freeze.  To unfreeze you need to take the batteries out, put back in, and turn on again. But I haven’t seen my Etrex freeze since 2014 with above settings and simplified tracks for navigation.

« Reply #309 on: 24 September, 2022, 04:32:50 pm »
Thanks Phil - I will check those settings when I have finished laminating my homespun route sheet  :thumbsup:

Andy Corless

« Reply #310 on: 29 September, 2022, 10:42:11 pm »
Well it appears the 2022 edition of the Inverness 1200 was a little bit more challenging than expected, with only 5 official finishers.

This 1200 km route took the riders from Pendle Witch country to the district of Aird, west of Inverness. The route started with an early morning run through the Yorkshire Dales National Park and on into the Eden Valley before an evening ride through southern Scotland to cross the Forth Road Bridge following many of the same roads used in the recent LEL. Monday saw the riders climb the mighty Lecht and were all later welcomed to the Kirkhill control with hot food and sleeping facilities available. The route returned following a western route through the Highlands; over Glen Coe and Callendar before a run down the A6 back to Lancashire climbing over Shap Fell. A headwind for much of the outbound ride combined with persistent heavy rain at times caused a high DNF rate.

Many thanks to Diane who helped out at the Kirkhill Control over Monday night, and also to Darrell Whittle for taking some aerial photos of the riders.

Riders travelled from as far as Ireland; Austria; Japan; Hong Kong and the Philippines in order to participate and many found the cold weather challenging.

Congratulations to the 5 riders that finished and commiserations to the few that didn't make it. It's better to try and fail than to not try at all!  Some photos taken on the route have been uploaded onto the AUK Facebook page at:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/32695893641/

The date for next year's edition has been set for 23-27 June 2023.

If you fancy riding some of these roads ridden by the IV 1200 riders then the Ride the Lancashire Lights 200, held on Sunday 30 October 2022 covers some of the southern section of this route. More information on the event website at:

https://burnleyccevents.com/

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

« Reply #311 on: 30 September, 2022, 09:07:09 am »
Just for the benefit of folk who pick this thread up for 2023... the route as provided via gps might be the most direct, but it would repay you to make your own decisions.  These are some examples.  I think I saved quite a lot of time by not descending to the top of Dentdale and then climbing out on the Coal Road - it is easier to stay on the Hawes road and then take the Apperset cut through (avoiding Hawes itself) to the main road up to the Moorcock.  The canal side path South of Fort Augustus is a pleasant deviation for a few miles before rejoining the A82 at the start of Lock Oich.  Leaving Callander, it is worth considering staying on the main road, especially if it is dark.  The route out of Falkirk is very challenging and I suspect a less 'choppy' way can be found by veering to the East of the given route, but I did not/have not researched that properly.  Near the finish you can save some climb by following the main signposted road route to Longridge/Clitheroe.  Can I also give a public shout out to the bike shop in Blairgowrie.  The guy there fitted a new gear cable for me - just brilliant - stopped what he was doing and had me in and out in less than an hour.  I'm pretty sure that I would not have finished without his help fixing the bike.  Also a public shout out to Rando-nurr - fantastic company on any ride, but especially on something as challenging as this.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #312 on: 30 September, 2022, 09:37:23 am »
The route out of Falkirk is very challenging

That's basically my life story in 8 words  :D

Yes those braes are hard.

Seriously well done, I was watching the weather forecast each night and wondering how many hardy souls would finish.  Chapeau. 

« Reply #313 on: 14 October, 2022, 06:23:33 pm »
The date for next year's edition has been set for 23-27 June 2023.
Just as a matter of interest, when are entries for 2023 likley to open? Or am I too late already? :o
How much can a koala bear?

Andy Corless

« Reply #314 on: 14 October, 2022, 07:36:28 pm »
No you're not too late. The answer when it's finally published in the AUK Calendar which should be anytime soon. Suggest you keep your eye on the event website (link attached below), it's already been updated with next year's details.

Andy Corless

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

« Reply #315 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:16:07 pm »
No you're not too late. The answer when it's finally published in the AUK Calendar which should be anytime soon. Suggest you keep your eye on the event website (link attached below), it's already been updated with next year's details.

Andy Corless

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/
cheers Andy.  Looking forward to it
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #316 on: 18 October, 2022, 08:19:44 pm »
Any reports from this year's event, or recent events?
I would be very interested to read how these brave magnificent souls coped.

Andy Corless

« Reply #317 on: 18 October, 2022, 10:34:26 pm »
I'm in the process of compiling a write-up for Arrivee (that's AUDAX UKs own club magazine)! For information purposes, Mark Casquero has uploaded a video to YouTube of his attempt of this year's edition at:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DJM0TNLnCW0A&ved=2ahUKEwjo8dnh3Or6AhWEZMAKHR6EDAYQo7QBegQIBhAE&usg=AOvVaw076yIdhpiv0PR4217VfeVS

Andy Corless

« Reply #318 on: 19 October, 2022, 08:04:32 pm »
Thank you Andy.

« Reply #319 on: 23 October, 2022, 05:40:18 pm »
I'm in the process of compiling a write-up for Arrivee...
How's the write up coming Andy?
Darrell
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #320 on: 24 October, 2022, 11:50:58 am »
I've put one in the Ride Reports section here on yacf.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=124320.0

Andy Corless

« Reply #321 on: 25 October, 2022, 11:14:26 pm »
"How's the write up coming Andy?
Darrell"

Don't suppose you know when the deadline is for the next Arrivee is do you?

Andy Corless

« Reply #322 on: 26 October, 2022, 10:13:17 am »
"How's the write up coming Andy?
Darrell"

Don't suppose you know when the deadline is for the next Arrivee is do you?

Andy Corless
I suppose it will be sometime mid November for the Winter issue. You could email gedlennox@me.com at Arrivee for an exact date.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #323 on: 26 October, 2022, 10:35:20 am »
For a larger article I suspect Ged would prefer to get it earlier than mid Nov. I hope that the next issue will go out near the beginning of the month as it contains the membership renewal notice!