Author Topic: PV on the roof - What did yours cost?  (Read 17511 times)

Re: PV on the roof - What did yours cost?
« Reply #125 on: 29 June, 2023, 03:36:38 pm »
AIUI scaffolders generally don’t have much storage space and like to move scaffolding directly from one job to another, so if they don’t have a new job in your area it’s hard work getting them to collect it.

« Reply #126 on: 29 June, 2023, 07:27:39 pm »
AIUI scaffolders generally don’t have much storage space and like to move scaffolding directly from one job to another, so if they don’t have a new job in your area it’s hard work getting them to collect it.
Thing is, having added value to your property, you'd be a bit stuffed if you were trying to sell it.
Can't see 48mm Ø galvanised pipe surrounding the place as a strong selling point.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #127 on: 29 June, 2023, 08:40:14 pm »
I'm sure if you threatened to dismantle it yourself and flog it on ebay they’d be round quickly enough :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #128 on: 30 June, 2023, 12:47:30 am »
I'm sure if you threatened to dismantle it yourself and flog it on ebay they’d be round quickly enough :demon:

I was getting to that point.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #129 on: 30 June, 2023, 10:38:26 am »
After a series of missed calls from a Glasgow #, is what happens when one leaves one's phone inside while one is outside, got an assessor from Greener Energy Group coming Monday to go over the property.  I know I need to up the loft insulation plus there is zero cavity wall insulation.  Will be good to get some actual numbers to ponder.

« Reply #130 on: 30 June, 2023, 12:02:52 pm »
Son had half a scaffolding job done to inspect / repair the roof.  Told them it was inadequate so not paying but they repeatedly failed to take it away.  Roofer came and added to it, did the roof, and took the lot away!  Result!

orraloon

« Reply #131 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:42:48 pm »
Starting to roll.  Liked how the Greener Energy Group put down real numbers, explain how A works vs B, how support funding (should?) apply and how to proceed.  Button pressed.  PVs, battery, hybrid ASHP and smart diverter tech box thing a-comin'.  Once the cavity in the walls is no longer a great big empty space.

Sums say payback in 7 years.  But that's based on the usage projections from my minimising gas usage over last winter, running low room temps and excludes the ~£450 or so spent on firewood to run the cozy woodburner on every evening from end September through to April.  Real breakeven prob more like 4 years.

Next phase of The Project starts...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #132 on: 04 July, 2023, 09:59:52 pm »
Good luck dealing with Home Energy Scotland.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #133 on: 04 July, 2023, 10:23:44 pm »
Was at choir Mus Dir's house yesterday, rehearsing my part for our forthcoming concert. I arrived whilst a sales person/technical bod was there, talking about solar panels. Colin (Mus Dir) was glad to get rid of him. He told me he's had his panels so long (2011 or whatever) that the feed-in tariff is still worth £1500 a year to him.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #134 on: 11 July, 2023, 08:05:17 pm »
3 weeks after sending the DNO paperwork and applying for Octopus Outgoing I hadn't heard anything (though forums suggest the DNO doesn't inform the supplier when they've processed the export notification and they have to keep checking themselves) so I DM'd Octopus on Twitter when I'd finished work and a couple of hours later we're on the export tariff.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #135 on: 07 August, 2023, 09:47:52 pm »
After some research with Prof Google, I decided it might actually be possible to request remote control of the inverter (not very well advertised) rather than heaving myself up the step ladder to an unlit loft with the hairy spiders to control it.
Without much expectation I raised a ticket with Solis late Sat afternoon and lo and behold, a couple of hours later they emailed to say we now had remote control.
Being the wrong side of a beer or two at the time I left it until now. After a bit of playing around I seem to have got the directions round the not very intuitive interface and done a quick experiment to see if we can tell the battery to charge from the grid at a certain time, and to tell the battery to discharge to the grid at a certain time.
That all seemed to go as requested so I guess I can ask the Octopods to put us onto the Octopus Flux tariff now....

« Reply #136 on: 09 August, 2023, 07:06:36 am »
After some research with Prof Google, I decided it might actually be possible to request remote control of the inverter (not very well advertised) rather than heaving myself up the step ladder to an unlit loft with the hairy spiders to control it.
Without much expectation I raised a ticket with Solis late Sat afternoon and lo and behold, a couple of hours later they emailed to say we now had remote control.
Being the wrong side of a beer or two at the time I left it until now. After a bit of playing around I seem to have got the directions round the not very intuitive interface and done a quick experiment to see if we can tell the battery to charge from the grid at a certain time, and to tell the battery to discharge to the grid at a certain time.
That all seemed to go as requested so I guess I can ask the Octopods to put us onto the Octopus Flux tariff now....

Thanks that's really helpful. When we get to the winter months I want to set our battery to partially charge on the overnight tariff, which will effectively keep us on cheaper rate electricity for the 2-3 hours until the sun is high enough to start the panels meeting our needs.

Our inverter is in the garage, so not difficult to access, but even so changing settings should be easier on my PC than fiddling around with the Inverter three button interface. I've submitted a ticket this morning.

I'm also with Octopus & found them very quick to sort  our SEG (unlike OVO who basically spent 6 months ignoring us). For the last 3 months are SEG payments have been more than our import bill. That will change as the days shorten and when our storage heaters go on, but one year into PV ownership we think it was a good decision.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #137 on: 09 August, 2023, 06:36:36 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Glad my witterings have been useful to someone.

orraloon

« Reply #138 on: 17 October, 2023, 08:56:03 pm »
Finally, after a loooong process now got approval for renewables funding for PVs, battery and after a go / no go kerfuffle over hybrid ASHP a go for it on full ASHP.  10k grant and a lot of 0% loan funding, in high inflation / interest rate times.  👍

PVs likely to be fitted in 2 weeks time, right on for summer sunshine....

orraloon

« Reply #139 on: 24 October, 2023, 08:18:49 pm »
I now have PVs on the roof, batteries and inverter in the loft, techie box stuff in abundance and a (data received via China 🤔) app on the iPad showing wots gahn on.  Will be learning.  Next is the full tech assessment this Saturday re will ASHP work.  Tbd.

I'm off grid tonight.

And Greener Energy Group are 👍 re suppliers and installers.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #140 on: 24 October, 2023, 09:11:30 pm »
Good stuff.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #141 on: 25 October, 2023, 10:16:04 am »
Ooh, you're moving faster than us. PV has been on the roof since June (reinstalled by the same firm but a rather better work team than the first clowns who installed the wrong units, invalidated the guarantee, broke our roof tiles, tried to cover it up, and lied about it all), but we're still waiting on the battery and commissioning. The heat pump has been sitting in the garden for even longer.

All the insulation works, though. The place is just about as warm as our flat, despite not being either heated or lived in yet.
Not especially helpful or mature

orraloon

« Reply #142 on: 25 October, 2023, 06:38:18 pm »
The roofers / panel fitters were late arriving, their van broke down, had to wait for 3 hours for AA then van swop, but v quick, fitted the 12 panels in little over an hour.  Missed the birdproofing, will fit that tomorrow.  They asked me for spare roof tiles (I have lots) as 2 corners chipped.

The sparkies were here for 8+ hours, putting it all together, even had a call out to local network provider to check poss mains earthing too high test numbers, engineer came out in pm, all fine.

This late October, a few sunny spells day has generated 8.4 kWh.  The immersion heater is on!