Author Topic: Concept 2 Rowing machine question  (Read 6164 times)

Re: Concept 2 Rowing machine question
« Reply #25 on: 10 September, 2009, 10:04:41 pm »
if your back is even slightly dodgy, dont use level 10.  5 should be plenty, if your technique is right.   To see how changes in technique affects your score, focus on the 'split', the speed / 500 meters number that rowers obsess over, and try and get it as low as possible for a rate of about 24 strokes / minute.

if you want a coaching session, you know where I live.... :)

Chris S

« Reply #26 on: 10 September, 2009, 10:47:42 pm »
if you want a coaching session, you know where I live.... :)

Deal!

I've watched this a couple of times in the hope that it's the Right Way...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eqVmMd7FdAA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/eqVmMd7FdAA&rel=1</a>

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »
Interestingly - my HR was 145bpm when I was flat out and gasping on the rower. That is my average HR on a bike on a 200km Audax!

Funnily enough I can get my HR very high on the rowing machine (190-200) but not on a bike! 
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #28 on: 11 September, 2009, 01:04:17 am »
Interestingly - my HR was 145bpm when I was flat out and gasping on the rower. That is my average HR on a bike on a 200km Audax!

Funnily enough I can get my HR very high on the rowing machine (190-200) but not on a bike! 
I would say with your cycling you are only using your legs which by now are very well developed and therefore are not putting too much demand on your CV system. However, the rowing machine uses your total body muscles and your upper body muscles as a cyclist will generally not be as well developed, so the demand on your CV system will be greater. This is reflected in the higher heart rate.
O'LEL what have I done!

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 11 September, 2009, 01:37:00 am »

I would say with your cycling you are only using your legs which by now are very well developed and therefore are not putting too much demand on your CV system. However, the rowing machine uses your total body muscles and your upper body muscles as a cyclist will generally not be as well developed, so the demand on your CV system will be greater. This is reflected in the higher heart rate.

In aerobic exercise the heart is the limiting factor not the muscles. An untrained person might be limited by their muscles. Someone who is trained will have more capacity in their muscles which will allow them to put more demand on the cv system. As the muscles are far more trainable than the heart. The increase in hr in rowing is likely to be down to simply having more muscle mass in use.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2009, 10:16:23 am »
The increase in hr in rowing is likely to be down to simply having more muscle mass in use.

Probably yes, and this is why these machines are so good at making you fit! About 7 years ago I was  an unfit smoker and I joined a friendly rowing club with lot of knowledgeable people. Within 8 months they got me from a slow 7:40 2k to okish 7:05  (to rowing clubs standards!). I could feel my CV system getting better weekly. It is amazing how fit one can become with some dedication, in a good boat 6:45-7:00 2k would be standard fitness.

I don't have time to row anymore but this was definitely time well spent!
Chief cat entertainer.

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 16 September, 2009, 05:11:26 pm »
Hmm... Oh Dear.

9:07.7 for 2000m.

Ah well - I can only improve, eh?  :thumbsup:

I've spawned another thread for general rowing chit chat.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #32 on: 19 September, 2009, 10:56:08 am »
Years ago when I worked out regularly I used a Concept 2 as a warm-up. I once decided to got flat out for 2000m to see what I could do.
I managed 6'54" which according to the Concept 2 website gave me a world ranking of 124th in my age and weight category.   :smug:

I probably couldn't even sit on one now!  :-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #33 on: 19 September, 2009, 11:03:31 am »
Years ago when I worked out regularly I used a Concept 2 as a warm-up. I once decided to got flat out for 2000m to see what I could do.
I managed 6'54" which according to the Concept 2 website gave me a world ranking of 124th in my age and weight category.   :smug:

Does that mean that my pb, 6'17" for 2000m, age 42, is pretty good then?   

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #34 on: 19 September, 2009, 11:34:50 am »

You probably shoudn't be wasting time on a bike and getting busy finding a rowing club:

My scale of 2k times:
8' decent time for a lady with a bit of training
7'-7'45'' lady club level rower

7'30'' decent time for a man with a bit of training
6'30 7'15'' man club level rower

Any time below this is impressive! I am not sure how lower you should be at 42. peak is probably at 35ish.
Chief cat entertainer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 19 September, 2009, 01:19:17 pm »

It might, but at the time Concept had only sold 125 machines... :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #36 on: 07 October, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »

You probably shoudn't be wasting time on a bike and getting busy finding a rowing club:

My scale of 2k times:

Any time below this is impressive! I am not sure how lower you should be at 42. peak is probably at 35ish.

In the last few years I've used a CII rower in the gym over the winter months - just got back into it over the last few weeks and I'd forgotten how hard it is, especially as I didnt really do very much at all last winter.

A friend who is a pretty decent amateur rower told me almost exactly the same as the times outlined above eg 7m30s for 2000m is decent enough for somebody who's main sport isnt rowing.  Also, he recommended an absolute max stroke rate of 25.  I had previously been rowing a fixed time, aiming for 2m00s / 500m and gradually extending the time, starting at 15 mins and gradually exteding up to a max of 20 minutes. 

I'm now doing 5000m regardless, managed just under 20m last week but wasnt exactly a picture of health after it - one of the disadvantages of a gym at work is that its your colleagues who can witness you suffering first hand! 

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #37 on: 07 October, 2009, 08:47:38 pm »
My scale of 2k times:

Ooh, I'm a lady!

Thats a big improvement actually. When it comes to competitive sports I'm normally at the standard of a good 8 or 9 year old....

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:59:53 pm »
I'd quite like to get down to 7 minutes.  As a lightweight I'd be quite pleased with that.

Off the antibiotics now, went for a swim tonight.  Maybe gym on Friday, who knows?