Author Topic: If I had £100 to spend on a tent I would buy.....  (Read 11255 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
If I had £100 to spend on a tent I would buy.....
« on: 15 April, 2008, 07:39:46 pm »
Further to my earlier post about sleeping bags, I am now in the market for a tent.  I think I need to trade up from my £10 Lidl model.

It will be used for cycle camping, May-September, in Scotland and should be a 2 berth.  I'm thinking about a budget of £100.  So what do you recommend?

I've seen a Coleman Avior X2 for about £75 - any good?

Thanks for your help.

Re: If I had £100 to spend on a tent I would buy.....
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:41:29 pm »
Shouldn't this be in Knowledge ?

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:52:16 pm »
You may possibly be right - I think I should have really posted it in OT Knowledge - Mods please feel free to move.

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:55:36 pm »
As the proud owner of two old-style Argos pro-action tents, I would have to recommend them. That's if you can find one ebay. They normally retail for around 25 pounds. They have made something of a furor in the hiking community, even inspiring their own internet owners club. The new version looks something like this, but costs a lot more. The old version was green rather than orange.

I have two of those, the interior zip has gone on one though. The second made it's debut on PBP near Loudeac while the first remained at SQY. One cost me £25, the other £15. Bargains.

Here's two in Scotland, one mine, one Jon Senior'.

Do we have a camping board ?

bobajobrob

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:00:05 pm »
Ooops, noticed the requirement for a two birth tent and deleted my post. Here it is again for the sake of history, since I have been quoted.

As the proud owner of two old-style Argos pro-action tents, I would have to recommend them. That's if you can find one ebay. They normally retail for around 25 pounds. They have made something of a furor in the hiking community, even inspiring their own internet owners club. The new version looks something like this, but costs a lot more. The old version looked the same but was green rather than orange. Avoid anything with the same name that looks different, there was a really poor quality tent made in the same name.

bobajobrob

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:01:37 pm »
I have two of those, the interior zip has gone on one though.

The exterior zip went on one of mine, now replaced :)

« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:03:14 pm »
Did you replace it yourself ? Who/where replaces tent zips ?

bobajobrob

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »
I gave it to my dad and he replaced the zip. He's a demon with a sewing machine, an old electrical Singer from around 1960 ;D

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
Where did you get the zip from ?

bobajobrob

« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:09:39 pm »
Not sure about that, will ask.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:10:10 pm »
Point North near Holyhead do fabrics and accessories for outdoor and boat stuff, including seam sealant: http://www.profabrics.co.uk/
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:13:07 pm »
Point North near Holyhead do fabrics and accessories for outdoor and boat stuff, including seam sealant: http://www.profabrics.co.uk/

Thanks for that link redshift, my VauDe MKII needs it's seams resealing, though the groundsheet is also not waterproof any longer

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:22:47 pm »
You could probably pick up groundsheet material from them too.  :)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:24:08 pm »

Thanks for that link redshift, my VauDe MKII needs it's seams resealing, though the groundsheet is also not waterproof any longer

I've got one of those and bought it about 5 years ago.  :thumbsup:

Very pleased with mine although it's not had as much use as I'd guess yours has.  :'(

H

« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:25:54 pm »
If I had £100 to spend on a tent I'd only go cycle touring once a year and spend the £100 on a few nights in a B&B.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #15 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:56:05 pm »
Noodley, the only problem with your plan is that B&B proprietors frown upon guests playing with fire, whereas within the camping community such behaviour is positively encouraged  :evil:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2008, 09:00:23 pm »
B&Bs?  Much less fun...

Butterfly may be along in a minute with some good advice.
Getting there...

bikenerd

« Reply #18 on: 16 April, 2008, 10:45:15 am »
Have a look at the Vango range of tents, they seem to do good value in that kind of price range.
I like my MSR Zoid 1.  You can get a Zoid 2 for two people but the cheapest I've seen one for is about £160.

Avoid single skin tents with sewn in groundsheets.  Completely useless in Britain, you'll be covered in condensation.  Single skin where the condensation is allowed to run to the ground should be alright but a double skin is best if you want to use it outside of the summer months.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #19 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:05:53 am »
My local Lidls both currently stock 2 berth tents for £19.99.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #20 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:16:54 am »
Have a look at the Vango range of tents, they seem to do good value in that kind of price range.

I've been trying to get hold of a Vango Tempest 200 after being recommended one. ('bout 80 quid) Every fecker on the interweb is out of stock though  >:(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Craig

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:52:22 pm »
Worth watching.
That's what I've got (North Face Tadpole 23) and I'd recommend it. Its fairly spacious, but still rather lightweight. Though I suspect that one will sell for quite bit more than £100, I think I got mine new but slightly damaged in the shop for £150 or so.

« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2008, 06:33:52 pm »
have a look at these tents at www. holidaypartner.com/camping_equipment  .
i would reconment the sprit 2 peson tent as it is pretty much the same as my french made jamet tent. it is within your buget . hope this helps  :)
the slower you go the more you see

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #23 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:59:20 am »
Well, I took the plunge an bought the Coleman Avior X2.  There were a number of reviews on the net and they seemed fairly positive.  The fact that Amazon had it for £63, with free postage, also swung it for me.  I'll let you know how I get on.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #24 on: 17 April, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
Bit late but pricey 4-season tents like TNF Vango, Hilleberg and Terra Nova can sometimes be found on eBay. Here's one for slightly more:
ebay link
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."