Author Topic: Stealth Camping UK  (Read 13480 times)

Chris S

Stealth Camping UK
« on: 10 February, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »
Anyone here seasoned practitioners?

Looks to me like the Hennessy Hammock is a tool of choice. Any preferred locations? Are the Forestry Commission really that vigilant about it?

I'm talking shelter only here - no fires, and definitely LNT.

Re: Stealth Camping UK
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »
You mean that private bio fuel estate with unfettered access?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2011, 08:43:46 pm »
You mean that private estate with unfettered access?

;D

Now now.... Politics and Big Issues is over there ---> :)

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2011, 01:28:17 am »
Anyone here seasoned practitioners?
Not since I was a student, and a few years thereafter. I used to bivvy on Ingleton common most weekend, even after they put up the "campers will be persecuted" signs.

It's easy enough provided you follow the basics. It's just a matter of being non obvious.
Go to bed at dusk, when it's still light enough not to need a torch, get up early.
If you go to the pub before bed, make sure your kipping spot is sussed out beforehand, again so you don't need to wave torches around too much.
Separate eating/cooking from sleeping. If you are cooking in the evening, sleep somewhere else. In the morning either move on a bit before breakfast, or at least get everything else packed and ready to go before cooking.

Subscribing to the above, anywhere goes, really. You can even just hop over a stone wall and rely on the wall to keep you out of sight of the road. Just check there isn't a bull in the field first   ::-). I've used a pedestrian underpass under the A65 or the side of a garage in Maidenhead.

This was all mostly bivvy bag rather than tent. However, if you can't see cars on the road, a house, or a footpath from your tent, you can't be seen.

I've not tried hammocks, but they seem like just another option rather than being particularly better. If you want to be discreet, you want to be 15-20m back from the edge of whatever patch of trees you sleep in, and that's not always easier than hiding a tent using the contours of open ground. For example, touring northern Scotland last year revealed few suitable places. Plantations were surrounded by 10 ft high deer fence, and other trees were thin ribbons along the side of a road, loch or river, where you would be fairly obvious, if you cared.

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:12:10 am »
I used to (many years ago). Bivvi bag is the best tool for the job, you can kip under a hedge, in a ditch, pretty much anywhere. Its easy on moorland to find a flat bit where you are completely hidden by heather.

Having said that, I do love hammock camping. Obviously you need somewhere with trees, but you can make use of steep hillsides where nobody even walks.  You can make your own hammock for under £10 and for much of the year do without a rain cover. Sleeping in a hammock is a lot colder than sleeping on the ground in a tent, so it's not something you'd do in bad weather.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:28:41 am »
I've never wild camped but I used to regularly exercise an Englishman's Right to Roam.

It's perfectly legal to stroll (and, I presume, lie down and kip) where-ever you want. Yup - we already have a right to roam in this country.

Of course, should the landowner turn up he can tell you to bugger off and this you must do.

I think have only ever been asked to leave once.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:42:25 am »
Plenty of interesting wild camping stuff here: v-g Backpacking in Britain

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:16:40 am »
Interesting link there Chris!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:26:42 am »

Yes. Thanks Chris!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:38:24 am »

Subscribing to the above, anywhere goes, really. You can even just hop over a stone wall and rely on the wall to keep you out of sight of the road. Just check there isn't a bull in the field first   ::-).

As Andrew says though, check before dusk. 
I've woken up in the front garden of a large house.  ;D  Also in the middle of a large roundabout during the rush hour outside Turin.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:57:20 am »
Thanks for the link, Chris N  - that's a first-rate website!

I've been wild camping with bivvi bag or tarp tent and sometimes less for over 30 years. Had no trouble from folk and little from the elements, barring that caused by inexperience or stupidity. I love it  :)

Hennessy hammocks look good and people rate them highly. They look to be especially suited to places where woods are many and other land fenced off or otherwise off-limits. Neither of these applies to Britain or most of continental Europe.

PH

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »
I spend a few summer weekends in the Peak District, out on Saturday, back on Sunday, green two man tent and no cooking.  I've never had a problem finding a pitch, I doubt I've even been seen and if I have, really who cares?  I like to find a spot, then go to the pub till dusk ride back, pitch up, get up early and go.  I keep it organised, I can pitch in the dark and if I ever got asked to move I could do so in a few minutes.
For example, touring northern Scotland last year revealed few suitable places. Plantations were surrounded by 10 ft high deer fence, and other trees were thin ribbons along the side of a road, loch or river, where you would be fairly obvious, if you cared.
Different rules for Scotland, there's no need to hide away as it's mostly legal.

« Reply #12 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:59:43 pm »
DPM bivvy and basha are the way ahead..

Bivvy bags on their own are all very well until it rains.  It's uncomfortable and you don't have an admin area.

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »
I've done a fair bit of hammocking, including backpacking with them.

They're great, but there are issues.

I've run through a few of the problems here, if you're interested:

Truth about Hammocks

« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2011, 11:03:55 pm »

Truth about Hammocks

That is marvellous ;D

..But it certainly hasn't increased my desire to go out and buy a hammock.

Wild camping in the UK is pretty easy - I've only had a problem once, when I pitched my tent at the edge of a field of unripe crops, and it was my misfortune to have picked the morning when they were trimming back the edges of the hedgerows.  Cue a garbled conversation with a pleasant tractor driver.  I was out of his way pretty sharpish.

If the issue is just avoiding costs, and you're going to the pub anyway, it's probably worth asking if you can pitch in the pub grounds.  Since they know you'll be sitting in there for the night, they're often happy to let you pitch up in the garden for nowt.  Not especially conducive to a good night's kip, mind, unless you neck 5 or six pints of the local brew.

« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:58:09 pm »

Truth about Hammocks

That is marvellous ;D

..But it certainly hasn't increased my desire to go out and buy a hammock.

Wild camping in the UK is pretty easy - I've only had a problem once, when I pitched my tent at the edge of a field of unripe crops, and it was my misfortune to have picked the morning when they were trimming back the edges of the hedgerows.  Cue a garbled conversation with a pleasant tractor driver.  I was out of his way pretty sharpish.

If the issue is just avoiding costs, and you're going to the pub anyway, it's probably worth asking if you can pitch in the pub grounds.  Since they know you'll be sitting in there for the night, they're often happy to let you pitch up in the garden for nowt.  Not especially conducive to a good night's kip, mind, unless you neck 5 or six pints of the local brew.

Ah, don't let me put you off getting a hammock - they're a hoot. You could even look ahead and buy two saplings at the same time. Decide where you want to stealth camp, plant the saplings, and before you know it (the advance of age being the accelerating bastard it is) you'll be set for an unforgettable, restless night's battle with your Thermarest.

That said, if you DO decide to get one, a Hennessey may not be the best choice, despite its ubiquity. Its unusual entry slot, touted as an asset, is instead a bit of a liability, and its tarp is crap. The Hennessey can be made wonderful by visiting the strange world of Hammock Forums and getting The Zipper Queen (yes, indeed) to insert a long zip and sew up your slot. This, as you can imagine, is not for the faint hearted.

People seem to like the Warbonnet hammock, which is like a Hennessey without its faults. I've camped with a Speer, a lovely no-frills hammock which favours the camper who enjoys the sound of Velcro, and the Claytor hammock, a more military affair involving camouflage and a pair of sticks. The Claytor, despite being favoured by various armies, is surprisingly waterproof, and has a handy double bottom (no need for a Zipper Queen with this one) into which you may slide the insulating substance of your choice, be it closed-cell foam, Thermarest or cashmere.

Or you could just doss somewhere without any fuss, like you would in an Audax. I once slept in a phone box near Llangollen. That was fun.

« Reply #16 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:03:32 pm »

Truth about Hammocks
Brilliant, Steve, I can see you have a lot more experience than myself.

I still think anyone contemplating hammock camping should start with a home-made one. Cheap, and they'll find out if they like it or not.

WRT insulation; I was flipping through a catalogue the other day and saw a new type. You know the foil-bubble-wrap type of house insulation? They had something like that but breathable. Could be best of all worlds. If I decide to go hammock camping again (ie, if I get a chance), I'll get some and try it.

Oh, and the one thing you missed off you blog - the ability to camp on truly vertiginous slopes. I've slung my hammock up on a hillside so steep that I could touch the ground with an outstretched arm on one side, and had a 3ft drop on the other.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #17 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:22:43 pm »

Truth about Hammocks
Brilliant, Steve, I can see you have a lot more experience than myself.

I still think anyone contemplating hammock camping should start with a home-made one. Cheap, and they'll find out if they like it or not.

WRT insulation; I was flipping through a catalogue the other day and saw a new type. You know the foil-bubble-wrap type of house insulation? They had something like that but breathable. Could be best of all worlds. If I decide to go hammock camping again (ie, if I get a chance), I'll get some and try it.

Oh, and the one thing you missed off you blog - the ability to camp on truly vertiginous slopes. I've slung my hammock up on a hillside so steep that I could touch the ground with an outstretched arm on one side, and had a 3ft drop on the other.

Insulation is the Holy Grail of hammockers. My wife uses an underquilt. I've managed to get by down to about 2 degrees centigrade with the Hennessey so-called "supershelter" system and a lot of clothes. That insulation you mention sounds good. I'd be interest to know anything more about that. Heavy? Bulky? Some people use plastic bags with scrunched up bits of space blanket in them (I'm not one of these people).

The trouble with most camping mats is that they're too narrow. Get in a hammock and you find they leave your shoulders and hips against bare nylon, which means you'll get very cold. You can try extending a mat's width. Ed Speer, of Speer hammocks, makes a handy gadget called a Segmented Pad Expanded - a catchy name, you'll agree. I have one, and it works. But it is a horrible greeny-purple colour and looks faintly illicit.

Camping on slopes is fine but it's a bloody nuisance sometimes, because it's far harder to get the tarp pitched correctly.

I've not made my own hammock, but I have re-tied a Speer that came undone, and as hemming and getting the knots right are all that's involved, that's much the same. It was very easy. I'd recommend it too.

« Reply #18 on: 14 February, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
Go for it - I do it all the time and have never had any problem, except for once when I met a farmer doing his rounds just after packing up and setting off, who wanted to know why I wasn't on the footpath.  In fact I'd camp wild even if there were a campsite nearby, I've been kept awake that often by townies coming back from the lock-up, and it can save you having to go down the valley and back up next morning.