Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 07:44:57 pm »
Minnesoter - Dandy Warhols
OT Gallery / Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Last post by GdS on Today at 07:40:56 pm »
Drop
Dead
Gorgeous

Apparently the same squadron that operated Hawker Typhoons for D Day.

Much nicer than Brexit Blackjack!

The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Mrs Pingu on Today at 07:28:46 pm »
Moving some stuff out of the lounge before the man comes to rip out the fireplace tomorrow. Shifted the LP storage shelves and behind there's a patch of black mould on the wall.
Sigh.
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 07:16:09 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/23:
*30/30 words (+3 bonus words)
🎯 Perfect accuracy
🔥 Solve streak: 26
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by Graeme on Today at 07:12:43 pm »
My attention was grabbed by this sentence:
Not least, I re-read my dissertation on worship as a physical experience, and I loved hearing Dr Paula Gooder speak at St Paul’s, she wrote a wonderful book on the relationship between religion and the human body, and I learned from her that the neo-platonic concept of separation of body and soul are not the Jewish way of seeing humanity: we are not a soul trapped in an incarnated body… we’re more of an animated personality.
I'm interested in what you mean by "an animated personality" and how this relates to the "the Jewish way of seeing humanity"? Obviously you could tell me to read her book, but I'm hoping for a simple paragraph that might persuade me I have a chance of understanding the book!

Paula wrote a very accessible book called "Body" which I was reading as source material for my dissertation several years ago. I was looking for arguments around the idea that worship could be physical rather than intellectual... ie - could I go for a bike ride and call it worship? Not saying that going for a bike ride is Christian worship, but exploring whether, if the intention was right, it could be.

I discovered a lot of neo platonic influence in my tutors, in books, and in a popular understanding of the separation of soul and body. But Hebrew understanding - years past - wasn't aligned with Greek thinking. Early Jewish faith didn't have a concept of the separation of soul and body (according to Paula), rather that humanity is created whole and indivisible. Hebrew (and by extension Christian) creation stories don't have a narrative of earthy vessels brought to life by the addition of a soul. There is no soul: only a human, a personality living a breathing as one indivisible unit.

I don't know if I'm helping or just rewording what I've already written.

I think the original body/soul idea was about encouraging Greeks to fight in wars confident that they would go to heaven as a soul when their body died. I think it started out as theatre, which later became popular understanding... and this body/soul fiction of Plato still persists today.

Hebrew / Jewish faith didn't originally see it that way. I don't know whether that's changed. Christians are certainly swayed by it and it causes a massive amount of confusion about death, resurrection etc.

A little from the blurb about Paula Gooder's book:

The word ‘spirituality’ is notoriously difficult to define or tie down. It is often used in a relatively vague way to refer to the inner relationship between one’s ‘spirit’ or ‘soul’ and God. The implication is that people only relate to God with their ‘inner’ being (the soul/spirit) and not with any other part of who they are. There is a lurking influence of Neo-Platonism within Christian thinking that tends to assume that the material is bad and the spiritual good; that there is a gaping hole between our inner and our outer selves and that the proper location of devotion is our inner being. There is a further assumption that, especially in the writings of Paul, the soul/spirit is to be placed in the ‘good’ category while opposite it, in the ‘bad’ category, is the body/flesh – leaving the question of what is meant by heart and mind largely ignored.
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 07:07:51 pm »
Iowa (Traveling III) ~ Dar Williams
The Pub / Re: Dez's funeral - 3rd May, 1pm.
« Last post by Polar Bear on Today at 07:03:54 pm »
Sadly we will be unable to make the trip but Dez and yourselves will also be in our thoughts when we visit Greenhaven just outside Rugby on Saturday 4th to pay our respects to a dear friend who passed away recently.  Family and friends are holding a little remembrance ceremony and planting an oak pole on her grave to match the one on her son's grave which is nearby.
OT Knowledge / Dumb phone recommendation
« Last post by Stuart Anderson on Today at 07:01:36 pm »
After a dumb phone for work. Priorities are:

Physical keyboard

Waterproof/impact resistant (IP68/9)

Dual sim plus SD card slot

Unlocked to all UK networks 4G (5G a bonus)

Apps not necessary

Replaceable battery ideally

USB-C

The Cat B40 fits the bill. Any users? Various searches throw up the likes of AMG (M7 looks interesting but only 2G on the second SIM - is that being switched off soon?) but I know nothing other than what Google throws up.

Friend has a Sonim but they look to be difficult to source in the UK.

Any others I'm missing or personal recommendations?

Thanks.

(p.s. As much as I value people's input I'm not interested in various workarounds like phone plus waterproof case etc... reasons!).
So why have lighttpd suddenly decided to start on boot after I don't know how many reboot and therefore blocking nginx from running at its best ?
The Pub / Re: Dez's funeral - 3rd May, 1pm.
« Last post by Jurek on Today at 06:56:09 pm »
I plan to be there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10