Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250298 times)

rob

Re: Base training
« Reply #525 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:19:35 am »
TT bike is now sufficiently built and on a turbo. Lots of working in position ahead. yay.

Mine too. Seems my shoulders are about twice as wide as the aerobars were built for. And that's with width extenders!

It took me a couple of years to refine my position.   I'm not as low as I would like to be due to back issues, but I have managed to bring myself narrower bit-by-bit.   the fitter I worked with said 0.5-1cm at a time and give your self time to adapt.   Steering at 30mph with your elbows close together takes a bit of practice.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #526 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:25:41 am »
TT bike is now sufficiently built and on a turbo. Lots of working in position ahead. yay.

Mine too. Seems my shoulders are about twice as wide as the aerobars were built for. And that's with width extenders!

It took me a couple of years to refine my position.   I'm not as low as I would like to be due to back issues, but I have managed to bring myself narrower bit-by-bit.   the fitter I worked with said 0.5-1cm at a time and give your self time to adapt.   Steering at 30mph with your elbows close together takes a bit of practice.

Yeah, that's my plan. I can spread the elbow rests one hole further (3T bars with width extenders), and I'll bring them in one hole at a time as I get used to it. Losing weight would help too!

« Reply #527 on: 27 February, 2017, 01:42:03 pm »
Did a best zone 2 ride in terms of distance yesterday until the wind destroyed everything in its path!

This morning did a 2 hour zone 2 ride with a constant  power of 144W and 129HR on the turbo.  Even at the end of the 2 hours I was still maintaining 140W and 129 bpm so pretty pleased.

rob

« Reply #528 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:41:12 pm »
Not quite as good tonight.   Felt I was stretching myself a bit in the warm up and the feeling continued for tge next hour.

Still, I get to go audaxing on Saturday which should be altogether more pleasant.

« Reply #529 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:21:00 pm »
Emergency dental visit lead to no training tonight.  However i do have 5 days in tenerife.  55km and 2600m to the top!  it will be fun to try.

« Reply #530 on: 01 March, 2017, 10:02:08 pm »
New peak 5 second power tonight of 831 watts.  The power seems to have started improving after a static period for a few weeks.

This is a big achievement for me.

simonp

« Reply #531 on: 01 March, 2017, 10:49:40 pm »
 :thumbsup: better than I've achieved last year.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #532 on: 02 March, 2017, 12:03:11 am »
i was surprised when i couldn't complete the first 3min interval yesterday morning. it all became obvious when i came down with cold later in the evening. it's been a few years since i was ill, so it took me by surprise. drinking lots of herbal tea now and hoping that one week is enough to recover and get back on the trainer.

« Reply #533 on: 02 March, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »
did not manage to complete the workout today due to overheating (forgot to turn the radiator off last night and was getting dizzy at 160bpm). this is the toughest week of the block before the recovery week after which a re-test of ftp.

Heat is a killer for me - I've put three fans on a smart plug as they are too cooling to cope with before I'm hot, but then I don't want to stop. I can now switch them on via my phone mid workout.

i was surprised when i couldn't complete the first 3min interval yesterday morning. it all became obvious when i came down with cold later in the evening. it's been a few years since i was ill, so it took me by surprise. drinking lots of herbal tea now and hoping that one week is enough to recover and get back on the trainer.

I had the same recently - couldn't complete, then sore throat and sniffles came on later in the day.

simonp

« Reply #534 on: 02 March, 2017, 01:11:18 pm »
Smart plug. What a good idea.

simonp

« Reply #535 on: 03 March, 2017, 10:19:04 am »
Starting to get some momentum.  3x12 last night. Reckon 15w drop in FTP. Odd how unfit I feel given this is still in the ball park of last PBP.

rob

« Reply #536 on: 03 March, 2017, 11:25:27 am »
Last nights session had me back in tge zone.   Much happier.

Knocked off avoiding a ped this morning.   Bruised & beaten and now a very easy weekend planned.   Arse.

simonp

« Reply #537 on: 03 March, 2017, 11:27:46 am »
Last nights session had me back in tge zone.   Much happier.

Knocked off avoiding a ped this morning.   Bruised & beaten and now a very easy weekend planned.   Arse.

OH WTF. Glad it's not worse.

« Reply #538 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:07:27 pm »
Rob
My sympathy. I hope you get better soon and can resume training.

simonp

« Reply #539 on: 04 March, 2017, 07:58:31 pm »
Rowing in the morning, KickR in the evening.

5x331w for 1m:1r. Repeat three times with 8m rest.

« Reply #540 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:00:41 am »
Very nice.

Managed 900m of climb In Tenerife keeping HR steady and in control. Family day today and then aim for Teide on Monday.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #541 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »
Got as far as the starting timekeeper this morning before turning around and going back to the HQ. Cold, wet and windy. I went home and did 4x15' instead.

« Reply #542 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:24:02 pm »
Apparently my FTP is static, but my time to exhaustion is going up. It's been suggested I need to alternate big weeks 700TSS+ with easy weeks 450TSS, and look to do at least two sessions with an average intensity of .9.

Picked up a 4iiii power meter to encourage myself to get back out on the road.

simonp

« Reply #543 on: 05 March, 2017, 07:59:07 pm »
I often find the high IF sessions to be more rewarding, and mentally engaging. IF 0.65 I'd rather be out cycling on a nice route.

Currently the weather is vile and I'm feeling sleepy after spending 3 hours helping with coaching at the rowing club so disinclined to do anything.

« Reply #544 on: 05 March, 2017, 08:04:07 pm »
TSS 839 this week.
I bailed on the 200 yesterday through sheer misery and only just managed a glimmer of enjoyment on today's tandem over for coffee.
I'm knackered,and worse than that, I'm not getting fitter. (Though I am losing weight).

Looking at the checklist for overtraining symptoms, I'm ticking all the fecking boxes.

« Reply #545 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:39:37 pm »
TSS 839 this week.
I bailed on the 200 yesterday through sheer misery and only just managed a glimmer of enjoyment on today's tandem over for coffee.
I'm knackered,and worse than that, I'm not getting fitter. (Though I am losing weight).

Looking at the checklist for overtraining symptoms, I'm ticking all the fecking boxes.

The not getting faster, but getting thinner ended up with me crouching behind trees. And worse.

In the words of the mighty Ultramagnetic MCs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KSRhQidyms

simonp

« Reply #546 on: 05 March, 2017, 11:40:30 pm »
I'd suggest an easy week (say 200TSS with mainly moderate intensity) to reset.

« Reply #547 on: 06 March, 2017, 08:07:35 am »
With my imminent Galician gallop, and post three weeks exclusively driving (OK, and eating and drinking as well) in NZ I needed to get back on the treadmill. The Tacx computer controlled trainer is great, except that you can't stop. If you do,the algorithm that seeks to equal the power output no matter what the cadence and wheelspeed results in trying to achieve cadence of 90 - 100 up a 1:5 gradient. So I thought I'd throttle back FTP to something I could maintain, from the 275 I was last time I used it to 220. Did this help? did it **** :(

Managed an hour of the 1.5 hours of tempo (Sufferfest "To get to the other side") on Saturday (TS 60), but crapped out after 25 mins of climbing (Sufferfest Angels). Long way to go in 6 weeks...

« Reply #548 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:52:56 pm »
Ham
Tacx computer controlled trainer is great, except that you can't stop.

It might be worth seeing if there is an update.  i updated my Neo about 10days ago and found a big improvement in this  cadence/power problem.  i think they may have added some extra algorithms.  As I really slowed down the resistance seemed to scale back to some extent.

Tied did not happen as a gale came in and cycling down these slopes in massive gusting winds is not my idea of fun or even sense.

Went out and did an hour of power work instead on roads I knew be relatively safe.  Highest NP I have recorded (236W) so really pleased.  I think I can do better tomorrow.  we will see, it is supposed to be a holiday.

« Reply #549 on: 06 March, 2017, 04:07:10 pm »
Ham
Tacx computer controlled trainer is great, except that you can't stop.

It might be worth seeing if there is an update.  i updated my Neo about 10days ago and found a big improvement in this  cadence/power problem.  i think they may have added some extra algorithms.  As I really slowed down the resistance seemed to scale back to some extent.

Tied did not happen as a gale came in and cycling down these slopes in massive gusting winds is not my idea of fun or even sense.

Went out and did an hour of power work instead on roads I knew be relatively safe.  Highest NP I have recorded (236W) so really pleased.  I think I can do better tomorrow.  we will see, it is supposed to be a holiday.

I have zero confidence in the Tacx software, but I did run Tacx update  program which told me there was no update available. a bit surprising, mine is the "Ironman" which is a re-branded Genius, hard to believe there is no update for that ("flagship") model just below the Neo and probably using the same controller, but there you are. TrainerRoad has improved its software substantially over the last year, at least. Shame the controlling software (eg trainerroad) can't manage the ramp up, all it needs is about 3-5 second ramp.