Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250325 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #650 on: 06 November, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
I certainly could not do a 20 minute interval at 100+ cadence. I am now generally doing my workouts at about 85-90 for the sweet spot intervals. I find once I get to 100 though the endurance really falls off.

rob

« Reply #651 on: 07 November, 2017, 12:28:53 pm »
After 4mths of no high intensity work but quite a few long rides my first training plan started again yesterday.

I'm not going to race until at least April so looking at a 5mth build and recondition.   At least I'm starting at a lower weight this time round.

« Reply #652 on: 07 November, 2017, 02:05:24 pm »
After 4mths of no high intensity work but quite a few long rides my first training plan started again yesterday.

I'm not going to race until at least April so looking at a 5mth build and recondition.   At least I'm starting at a lower weight this time round.

Aiming to start tonight. 4 months base, then 2 months build and 2 months 'finish'. Next 'events' for me are bithday ride, tan hill, Deano's mixed terrain and a work ride I organizing for May. They'll have to fit in, but I should be ready to ride properlyish after I've done the events;)

Still trying to work out how to weave running in without falling foul of the pool and starting triathlon (as suggested by a helpful colleague yesterday)

Chris S

« Reply #653 on: 07 November, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »
Trainer Roads base Wk 1 starts tonight. 8 min FTP. Again.

PBP 2019 campaign started last week - a somewhat painful tandem 200 followed by a more painful fixed 100. There's much work to be done; I'm flabby and weak.

ETA: W00t! up to 195W. As a fat, ex 40-a-day, borderline alcoholic knocking on 60, I'm not sure what a realistic target is. Just keep training and see what happens I guess.

rob

« Reply #654 on: 07 November, 2017, 07:32:42 pm »

PBP 2019 campaign started last week.

Bugger.   Is that coming round again ?

Chris S

« Reply #655 on: 07 November, 2017, 07:35:12 pm »

Not really - I just need a loooooooong run up  ::-) :D

simonp

« Reply #656 on: 07 November, 2017, 08:35:59 pm »
PBP isn’t on my radar yet. I’m supposed to be raising my game for rowing but have been injured and ill for 5 weeks now so it’s not happening.

rob

« Reply #657 on: 07 November, 2017, 08:39:11 pm »

Not really - I just need a loooooooong run up  ::-) :D

See you in France.   I should do a few more audaxes this year for a bit of variety.

« Reply #658 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:03:28 pm »
I thought I'd start again today. Checked everything through. Calibrated. Recognised that I wasn't as fit as back in March, so thought I'd reduce my FTP from 265 to 220, to give me a chance. Loaded up Sufferfest Angels (apart from it being my fave in terms of workout and music I was having major technology issues the last time I trained, so thought I'd start with the same one)

Nice warm up out the way. it quickly got tougher than I was hoping. I chickened out after a half hour, a quivering sweaty mess. It was only then that this div noticed FTP was still set at 265. Bah.

« Reply #659 on: 09 November, 2017, 03:54:36 pm »
Today I did my first workout with the FTP set to 190.  It was hard but I didn't get totally destroyed, so that sounds OK (or maybe very slightly low - will give it a few more rides before I up it).
The workout was Ebbets, so it involves 5 seconds bursts at >150% of FTP. I only have a dumb trainer, so I've got to change up a couple of gears and then spin it up - this means that my 5 second intervals appear as spikes rather than squares on the chart. Should I try to hold the highest power for 5 seconds, even if it takes a few seconds to get there?
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6806683-ebbetts

Also, how do you guys deal with cold on the trainer? I start my trainer ride at 6am (in the garage), and I need the fan when I'm in the middle of a hard interval, but it makes my arms, hands, and face cold, especially in the recovery valleys. I've been wearing a jacket until I warm up and then taking it off, but it feels weird to wear a long sleeve jersey and have to keep zipping and unzippping...

Chris S

« Reply #660 on: 09 November, 2017, 04:49:01 pm »
PBP isn’t on my radar yet. I’m supposed to be raising my game for rowing but have been injured and ill for 5 weeks now so it’s not happening.

Oh, really...!

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92496.msg1908792#msg1908792

;)

simonp

« Reply #661 on: 09 November, 2017, 05:12:55 pm »

Oh, really...!

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92496.msg1908792#msg1908792

;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/376919468

I enjoyed PBP 2015 but my Audax mojo has gone since I got into rowing.

« Reply #662 on: 09 November, 2017, 05:44:00 pm »

Also, how do you guys deal with cold on the trainer? I start my trainer ride at 6am (in the garage), and I need the fan when I'm in the middle of a hard interval, but it makes my arms, hands, and face cold, especially in the recovery valleys. I've been wearing a jacket until I warm up and then taking it off, but it feels weird to wear a long sleeve jersey and have to keep zipping and unzippping...

For my part, I'm not too bothered by the cold, so I tend to have a fleece which I only wear before in the v cold for a short while when I'm warming up (ordinary cold I don't wear it before), sweat like a Trump acolyte under Mueller's gaze during, and put the fleece on after.

rob

« Reply #663 on: 09 November, 2017, 07:27:41 pm »

For my part, I'm not too bothered by the cold, so I tend to have a fleece which I only wear before in the v cold for a short while when I'm warming up (ordinary cold I don't wear it before), sweat like a Trump acolyte under Mueller's gaze during, and put the fleece on after.

Warm up in a base layer.   Take it off before the first interval.   Put it back on again for the warm down.

I do train in the TT position, though, so have to wear gloves to stop my fingers from getting cold.   Frankly, it looks ridiculous when I'm bare chested.   Still, what happens in the garage stays in the garage.

dim

« Reply #664 on: 09 November, 2017, 08:53:35 pm »
on a side note .... (most probably a lot of bollocks as wind etc also plays a huge part, but I'm a sucker for statistics)  ;D

if you look at your training routes, divide the elevation by the distance .... the higher the result, the more difficult the route (based on the time ridden)... obviously, a 1000km audax ride even if it's on the flats is a tough task

examples....

LEL .... 1441km long and has 11,128m of climbing .... divide elevation by distance and you get a result of 7.72

PBP .... 615km ... elevation 4290m ... result = 6.9

I have a 42km route that I ride often and that has 300m of climbing ... divide 300 by 42 and the result is 7.17

I also have a route of 135km that has an elevation of 1204 meters (my toughest training route) .... divide the two and you get a result of 8.9

just a guideline so take it with a pinch of salt  ;)

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Chris S

« Reply #665 on: 09 November, 2017, 09:36:52 pm »
The direct route from my house to the Lion Inn at Blakey is 18km with 760m of climbing - so that would be a dF (dimFactor) of 42.2  ;D

I don't ride it very often!

« Reply #666 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
Had another go today, FTP duly turned down, only this time software failed abysmally to change the power, which left me using gears and cadence to try and match the power. Which is no fun if you have to drop into top gear and spin up to 120 to try to get 300+ watts. Reported to Trainer Road tech, but I suspect they won't know much (from previous experience) Anyone else get that sort of issue?

(the buggering around at 50m is me trying to see if I could get some response by altering settings, cadence etc)

simonp

« Reply #667 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:05:21 pm »
Possibly not in Erg mode.

« Reply #668 on: 10 November, 2017, 08:09:59 pm »
Sounds like my workouts - constant resistance, with the variability provided by gears and cadence. If you've got a trainer that is supposed to vary the resistance (lucky you), then either it's in the wrong mode, or the connection between the computer and the trainer isn't working properly. Trainer Road tech support were pretty good when I asked them about how to restart workouts (I've had 2 get stopped by dripping sweat onto my phone   :facepalm: ).

simonp

« Reply #669 on: 11 November, 2017, 08:53:37 pm »
So I got a new trainer - Tacx Neo. I'm surprised at how quiet it is. I'm also impressed at how realistic the simulated inertia feel seems to be.

I did a workout straight off in TrainerRoad and the odd thing was that in erg mode it was about 10-20w high of the target wattage. This was not inaccuracy of reported power (not that I've checked) but of control. So the workout was harder than planned. Never mind.

I updated the FW afterwards, and tried a 4 minute demo workout; problem seems to be fixed.

Odd that a brand new device had such a FW issue. Easily resolved, though.

« Reply #670 on: 11 November, 2017, 09:18:28 pm »
Nice piece of kit.  Those things are worth more than my bike! :)
Strange that the firmware was bad out of the box, but at least it's all sorted now.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #671 on: 11 November, 2017, 09:22:13 pm »
i'm sending my trainer (flux) back to tacx on monday as it has developed a faint rubbing noise - a good excuse for a break and an opportunity to visit blood centre.

« Reply #672 on: 11 November, 2017, 11:42:12 pm »
So I got a new trainer - Tacx Neo. I'm surprised at how quiet it is. I'm also impressed at how realistic the simulated inertia feel seems to be.

I did a workout straight off in TrainerRoad and the odd thing was that in erg mode it was about 10-20w high of the target wattage. This was not inaccuracy of reported power (not that I've checked) but of control. So the workout was harder than planned. Never mind.

I updated the FW afterwards, and tried a 4 minute demo workout; problem seems to be fixed.

Odd that a brand new device had such a FW issue. Easily resolved, though.

They do look nice. I bought a discounted Bushido last year - I appreciate that both that and the Neo generate their own electrickery - and it's been very good. It is better in higher gears/speed though and, perhaps fortunately, does simulate quite as steep a hill as the Neo.

Mike

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #673 on: 13 November, 2017, 10:18:24 pm »
ftp day today; didn't pace very well and paid the price in the final third of the test. i'll do a 2x8min next week to see how well the two compare

« Reply #674 on: 14 November, 2017, 10:10:34 am »
I did Huffaker this morning. Wow that was hard. After the first 2 workouts of SSB2, I was wondering if I'd set my FTP a little too low. Hell no!  :sick:
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/6844210-huffaker-

I'm gonna get a remote control power switch for my fan. That way when I'm getting cold I can turn it off!