Author Topic: Long sleeve winter jersey  (Read 1558 times)

Ben T

Long sleeve winter jersey
« on: 08 November, 2020, 10:21:56 am »
Short sleeve cycling jerseys seem to come in full zip and half-zip versions. But long sleeve ones only seem to come in full zip. Why?
The claimed benefit of 1/2 zips are that they fit better and I must say I agree, they do.
Full zips bunch up round the zip. Especially if they are not that tight fitting.
I have a full zip altura one which is the right length and looseness, but bunches up round the zip.
I have another full zip one (giordana) which is ok, but is slightly more form-fit than I like, slightly shorter than I like.

So any recommendations for a jersey which is:
long sleeve, preferably "winter weight" but any long sleeve will do
1/2 zip (or 1/4, 3/4, just not full zip)
quite long, or at least not short
back pockets
?
can't seem to find one that fits all those.

Re: Long sleeve winter jersey
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2020, 10:43:17 am »
The winter weight yacf jerseys from Owayo are half zip.

Presumably you can get non - yacf variants.

The reason so many of them are full zip is so you can undo the zip rather than having to take them off entirely when you go into the cafe.
You remember going into cafés, it's what we used to do in the Before Times.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2020, 05:22:32 pm »

Only have misty memories of these things called "cafés" - didn't they used to be like those things called "pubs"? but without the rude landlords and smelly toilets?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2020, 01:50:10 pm »

Only have misty memories of these things called "cafés" - didn't they used to be like those things called "pubs"? but without the rude landlords and smelly toilets?

Usually a better selection of CAKE too.  The mist is what happened to your glasses when you went inside one.

« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:14:58 am »
Decathlon do long sleeved jerseys with short zips. Some are plain black and stealth enough to wear daily. I mostly get them second hand from ebay.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2020, 03:11:12 pm »
I prefer wool jerseys for winter, probably a legacy of 7 winters as a cycle courier in the past? Much better if your ride involves any longer stops. Seem to come as 1/4 zip as a default.

« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2020, 09:31:57 am »
https://www.3mcaverni.com/prodotto/maglia-ciclismo-vintage-in-lana-manica-lunga-anni-70-3

I've had really good experiences with short sleeve jerseys from this lot. They will also customise for very little extra.

You might want to check how the cuffs are, since I had a jersey from Tiralento (much more expensive, but fully customised) and that came with very loose cuffs. To be fair to Tiralento, when I complained they had it shipped back at their expense and sent me out a freshly made jersey that was even better.

Both are 50% wool, 50% Acrylic. The Tre Emme is a sturdier weight and both feel like they have a higher wool content than stated.

If I'm riding non stop then modern materials are arguably much better. But if I'm potentially stopping for more than 5-10  minutes, its wool everytime.