Author Topic: Topping up tubeless  (Read 1155 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Topping up tubeless
« on: 27 July, 2021, 07:32:08 am »
I went tubeless on one of my bikes about August last year - for various obvious reasons the bike hasn't been ridden much - probably only about 600 miles.  The bike has been stored hanging from the front wheel, with the valves at the highest point, and i've made sure during the period that the pressure has been topped up to "firm thumb press" level.

Reading all the stuff about tubeless and the sealant it suggests I should top it up every 6 - 9 months . . .   does that mean just take the valves cores out and squirt the stuff in, or is tyre removal (I hope not, they were buggers to fit) and cleaning ?

Re: Topping up tubeless
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:39:02 am »
As you say, valve cores out, sealant in, valve cores back.  Eventually you'll want to remove the tyres and clean out the residue, but not for a couple of years.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:02:51 am »
If you’re not riding the bike much, it’s probably a good idea to spin the wheels occasionally (maybe at the same time you top up the air if you’re doing that regularly) to redistribute the sealant.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2021, 09:55:32 am »
That, plus it won't need topping up as frequently if you don't use it much.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2021, 10:06:58 am »
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the position of the valves while the bike is in storage. If anything, keeping them always in the same position is the opposite of what you should do.

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2021, 11:32:45 am »
Don't have the valves at the highest point as any sealant in the stem will run into the valve core, better with the valves parked at 4 or 8 o'clock so the stems drain of sealant is the general advice.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2021, 11:54:24 am »
It's worth keeping old valves from scrap tubes (if they are removable of course) for the spares pot - when a valve gets gunged up and it becomes a pain to pump the tyre up, chuck a fresh valve in.

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:53:55 pm »
If you’re not riding the bike much, it’s probably a good idea to spin the wheels occasionally (maybe at the same time you top up the air if you’re doing that regularly) to redistribute the sealant.

... I should have added that i give the wheels a spin when I add some air.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2021, 01:58:10 pm »
Don't have the valves at the highest point as any sealant in the stem will run into the valve core, better with the valves parked at 4 or 8 o'clock so the stems drain of sealant is the general advice.

Don't quite undestand that - surely if the valve is at the top gravity will mean that sealant will run "back into the tyre" rather than be in the stem/valve core?

I'll make a point of varying the hanging point when I take the bike off the rack to add air, but keep it in the upper hemisphere of the wheel.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2021, 02:09:51 pm »
Don't quite undestand that - surely if the valve is at the top gravity will mean that sealant will run "back into the tyre" rather than be in the stem/valve core?

If there is residual sealant in the valve stem, it will stay there if the valve is pointing downwards (which it will be if it's at 12 o'clock).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2021, 03:13:46 pm »
Not riding the bike much is why my mountain bike has tubes in it.

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:08:10 pm »

If there is residual sealant in the valve stem, it will stay there if the valve is pointing downwards (which it will be if it's at 12 o'clock).

Ah, of course!   I shall store with valves at an appropriate orientation.