Author Topic: First cold and wet  (Read 2922 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
First cold and wet
« on: 17 November, 2008, 07:02:00 am »
It's my first really wet, and cold commute this morning.

Wish me luck

(I'm eating ready brek  ;D)

Re: First cold and wet
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

Wish me luck

OK I'll wish you luck with that, although you surely must have had alternatives.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tonycollinet

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2008, 12:39:53 pm »

Wish me luck

OK I'll wish you luck with that, although you surely must have had alternatives.

Thanks - but as it turned out - although it was lashing down when I made the post, by the time I was out there, it had tailed off to a light drizzle.

Regarding alternatives - I am trying to get into the mindset "cycling is how I get to work" So far it has been no problem (bar one day in September when I chickened out), but this morning was the first day the weather was challenging.

We'll have to see how I get on when the zero ish temperatures arrive.

annie

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2008, 12:42:40 pm »
It was freezing cold here.  Even the dustbin lids refused to budge.  The gate required a little bit of coaxing and part of the lake was frozen.

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2008, 12:44:50 pm »
Since my only alternative to cycling is setting off half an hour earlier and standing on a freezing train platform, then at a freezing bus stop, I haven't  had a problem in this regard.

Orange juice is a good alternative to Ready Brek, though.  If you drink it straight from the carton, it means an extra ten minutes in bed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2008, 02:10:59 pm »
Cold but dry & sunny here this morning.  Soon warmed up a bit, but my toes were chilly by the time I stopped.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2008, 02:13:12 pm »
Cold but dry & sunny here this morning.  Soon warmed up a bit, but my toes were chilly by the time I stopped.

Yay for my winter boots!  I no longer suffer to chillytoeitis....
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

alan

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2008, 02:58:13 pm »
During my commute to the office I remained warm & dry despite wearing only p.j.'s ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2008, 03:01:04 pm »
Well done, sir!  I hope you went by bike, though - buses, trains & cars would leave marrks on the carpets.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2008, 03:03:04 pm »
I had a lovely ride to work today. Didn't seem very cold but I did wear a base layer which I don't normally do and my proper winter hat. Roads were dry and relatively quiet, needed my lights for first 10 minutes. Shortly after arriving back at the office after my shower, the drizzle started !!

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2008, 03:53:36 pm »
g!t

I caught the drizzle, for the last 30minutes of my ride. bl**dy freezing it was.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2008, 06:40:05 pm »
I am trying to get into the mindset "cycling is how I get to work" So far it has been no problem (bar one day in September when I chickened out), but this morning was the first day the weather was challenging.

That is a good attitude.  :)
As time goes by, commuting by bicycle as a way of life becomes quite automatic.
For the rest, all I can say is to re-quote the old adage: "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!"

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:40:52 pm »
I'm beginning to get into that mindset.  It helps that Miss N passed her test 3 weeks ago and is treating the car I would have used as her own.  At the moment I'm quite happy about that.

Drizzly and dark all the way in this morning here in S Wales but not too cold.  Then steady and persistent rain all  the way home.  But sometimes when it's like that I get in an 'in for a penny' kind of mood and really enjoy the wetness of it all.  So my 8 mile trip became an  18-miler. 

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:03:23 pm »

Thanks - but as it turned out - although it was lashing down when I made the post, by the time I was out there, it had tailed off to a light drizzle.

It's surprising quite how often that happens.  My commute's ½-an-hour each way, almost daily, year round and I rarely get soaked.

I can recommend (a) layers and (b) avoiding sheet ice   :)

tonycollinet

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2008, 09:25:29 pm »
I am trying to get into the mindset "cycling is how I get to work" So far it has been no problem (bar one day in September when I chickened out), but this morning was the first day the weather was challenging.

That is a good attitude.  :)
As time goes by, commuting by bicycle as a way of life becomes quite automatic.
For the rest, all I can say is to re-quote the old adage: "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing!"

Not doing so bad so far. Since first June when I started commuting, I have driven 12 times. 6 of those were in June. Of the remaining 6, 3 were when I had man flu.

Having said that, there are about 35 days when I've not cycled (holiday, or away in Germany.)

« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2008, 12:06:47 am »

Wish me luck

Regarding alternatives - I am trying to get into the mindset "cycling is how I get to work" So far it has been no problem (bar one day in September when I chickened out), but this morning was the first day the weather was challenging.

I meant alternatives to Readybrek
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tonycollinet

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2008, 06:57:33 am »
Yebbut

Anything else isn't central heating for cyclists. I get a golden glow and evryfink. :--)

Anyway - it is mecwales fault. I bought some for a his flapjack recipe, and then re-discovered the childhood experience.