Author Topic: "I ride a bike every day of the year"  (Read 3463 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
"I ride a bike every day of the year"
« on: 27 June, 2011, 06:28:49 pm »
OK, but today you are driving.

Besides, riding a bike every day of the year does not actually allow you to overtake when there isn't an overtake, and the cyclist in front of you is clearly holding the lane until we have passed the parked car on the other side of the road.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: "I ride a bike every day of the year"
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »
No doubt he also knows the road so well that he can tell what's coming round a blind bend.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2011, 09:08:17 pm »
Interesting route he must have taken, since he accelerated to overtake me by a whisker as I overtook a slow cyclist.  he later explained to me that he, too, is a fucking cyclist, and that I am the sort of cunt who gets cyclists a bad name.

I thanked him for his information.
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2011, 08:29:42 am »
Good grief.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:58:59 am »
Interesting route he must have taken, since he accelerated to overtake me by a whisker as I overtook a slow cyclist.  he later explained to me that he, too, is a fucking cyclist, and that I am the sort of cunt who gets cyclists a bad name.

.... and then explained how he was the sort of diamond that gets humanity a bad name.

iakobski

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:13:56 pm »
"... but I wear hi-viz and a helmet when I do!"

Really? So you only drove like a total knob because you saw a cyclist not wearing hi-viz?

Si_Co

« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:23:07 pm »
Interesting route he must have taken, since he accelerated to overtake me by a whisker as I overtook a slow cyclist.  he later explained to me that he, too, is a fucking cyclist , and that I am the sort of cunt who gets cyclists a bad name.

You should of complimented him on his balance, tricky onna bike that

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:30:13 pm »
I advised my chap to read the Highway Code. He took his perma-tan off in his Northampton Rugby Club liveried VW Golf with shiny go-fast badges and promptly had to stop as there was another car-made chicane ahead. He didn't attempt to squeeze round that one.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:55:35 pm »
After I'd slapped a wing mirror for a close pass, and we'd stopped and had a bit of you're-paying-for-the-damage-to-my-car/fine-there-isn't-any.

Him - The cycling around here [Oval] has been getting more and more aggressive...
Me - You should never be so close enough to a cyclist that they can touch your car
Him - I've been a member of the CTC for 10 years and I...
Me - Slightly odd your subscriptions fees paying for your prosecution
Him - You need to calm down
Me - You should never be so close enough to a cyclist that they can touch your car
Him - <rolls eyes>

Yes, I am a smart arse.  Could have got a smack in the teeth for that.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »
After I'd slapped a wing mirror for a close pass, and we'd stopped and had a bit of you're-paying-for-the-damage-to-my-car/fine-there-isn't-any.

Him - The cycling around here [Oval] has been getting more and more aggressive...
Him - <rolls eyes>

Going through the Oval junction I have seen plenty of aggressive and close riding by car and van drivers. One van's side window hit a female cyclist on her elbow but she was fairly calm about it. I would have gone batsh*t at the driver.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »

I presume he means the sort that dare ride when cars are about.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:32:16 pm »
Matt, I confess.  I am that sort. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2011, 08:15:04 pm »
I somehow seem to have developed a sufficiently loud, standard, 2 or 3 times per ride, "fuck OFF" for it to be heard through tin at speed. The sort who slow soon seem to discern that I'm reaching for my always handy lock-knife.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Nightfly

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:25:24 am »
Sooooo much agression ............

Simonb

« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:30:03 am »
The sort who slow soon seem to discern that I'm reaching for my always handy lock-knife.

Really??!  ???

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:37:26 am »

Him - <rolls eyes>

You should never be so close to a motorist to whom you have been a smart arse that they can smack you in the teeth.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:38:28 pm »
The sort who slow soon seem to discern that I'm reaching for my always handy lock-knife.

Really??!  ???

I'm hoping that was satire..... or somthing.  :-\

EDIT: Quote added for clarity

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »
You should never be so close to a motorist to whom you have been a smart arse that they can smack you in the teeth.
i use the same tactic recommended for all dumb animals - make sure your bike is between you and them.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles