Author Topic: 6 weeks left - targets for the year ?  (Read 4840 times)

ChrisO

6 weeks left - targets for the year ?
« on: 17 November, 2008, 03:52:29 am »
I'm at 8830km as of this morning... hoping to hit 10,000 by the end of the year.

It will be a close run thing. Cyclogs is projecting for me to reach 10,037.

Re: 6 weeks left - targets for the year ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2008, 05:31:46 am »
Currently at 11,160 miles and aiming for in excess of 12,000 so I've averaged a grand per month.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2008, 06:05:22 am »
Hit my modest target of 3000 miles last week :thumbsup:, not managed to do a FNRttC or get down to 11st (but on reflection that was probably too ambitious). Only used public transport to get to work about 5 times in the year either if cycling was logistically impractical or the bike was of the road.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2008, 10:00:11 am »
Well my target year runs from Feb 1st to Jan 31st (cos this bike first hit the road at the beginning of Feb 07) rather than Jan 1st to Dec 31st, having said that I'm still hoping to get to the 4000 mile mark before Xmas.  At current averages should get there towards the end of w/b 15 Dec.  Any mileage in January above that will be a bonus.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2008, 10:03:06 am »
My target was 3000 miles as well. About 140 miles short of that just now. Planning on upping that to 5000 miles next year...

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2008, 10:14:30 am »
Currently at 7774 miles - two targets 8000 miles which looks safe - and 8376 to be a new highest annual figure - which also looks OK.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2008, 10:18:05 am »
I didn't set a mileage target for 2008 since at the start of the year I had no idea how well I'd recover from my crash. I said I'd like to get fit enough to complete a 200km randonee by end of August which I did, then at regular winter to set me up for next year. So far I am on target for that. Mileage will be about 4000 which is my lowest for a few years but I am in good shape and it hasn't been a regular year for me.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2008, 12:49:23 pm »
Funny things these targets. I have no idea how far I cycle in a year, but a rough calculation give a figure of about 10,000 miles per year. I tend to judge myself on how I am riding and the people who drop me on hills.

If I was to have a target for the year it would be to get to the first 200 of 2009 and complete it without problems and in a decent time.

This means that I do not have to fall off (no riding when it is icy), must not get a cold or flu (eat well and do not get sleep deprivation) and do not do any silly hard 100% efforts. The third one is hard because I get sucked in to fast group riding all to easily.

As for 2009 ... see the thread I started on preparing for LEL.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:00:27 pm »
my original target for 08 was 5,000 miles, but having september and october out after I fell off has left me on 3800 with six weeks to go.  200 miles a week is possible I suppose, but it's unlikely with the madness leading up to christmas getting in the way..

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »
Not sure my total mileage, but my aim was for an increase on last year.  Fairly safe to say that, notwithstanding injury, I've achieved that.

FTR, I have 2000km of recorded commuting since June.  There's a bit to add for fixed commuting (no computer), and leisure riding, as well as the commuting earlier in the year. I've certainly done more organised rides this year - Southwark Afterworkers, YACF outings, Architecture rides, Freewheel etc.

Not too bad, I reckon.

Reasonable, I think.

Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 22 November, 2008, 09:38:02 am »
I am standing at 6883 miles so far,last years total was 7133.I think I should manage that.I think 10,000 would be a doable target for next year.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #11 on: 22 November, 2008, 10:17:25 am »

after a completely bad year with only very few long rides, I'm setting a target that is called
more km than 2007

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2008, 08:10:59 pm »
I set myself a target of 6000 miles for the year. I'm a fair bit short of 500 miles for November, but have enough in hand to be able to do 500 in December and make it, I hope. I've also got a bit of free time coming up and intend to do more riding next month. I haven't had one single day ride of over 50 miles in November. Must remedy that next month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2008, 05:35:34 pm »
My target for the year keeps reducing the nearer I get to the end of the year (I suspect I won't see 8,000 miles but I'm sure to beat 7,000 all being well (might even make it to 7,500)).

I'm happy enough though as I'm already past last year's total of 6,712, which was the most I had ever done before in a year (I didn't really record previous mileage but I think I used to average much less most years, something like 3,000 miles p.a.

gordon taylor

« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2008, 09:38:58 pm »
8247 miles done with 537 to go in 36 days, i.e. under 15mpd now. That should be fine if I stay fit and don't break anything. I'm on track for the one mile per hour target for the whole year, as discussed in another thread. Less than 10% of those miles are on a geared bike.

I'm tempted to go for 10000 next year, but I've found the current mileage very hard at times

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:25:02 pm »
I just plan to get to Xmas lunch in 1 piece. Despite several days without rain the road surfaces seem to be constanty crappy recently, and the winds are making me nervous to-wit.(And we still have ice to look forward to .)

Let's be careful out there everyone!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 30 December, 2008, 07:44:48 pm »
Mileage on bike 7170 this year my highest yet, just.Mileage in car about 6000 my lowest since,the year 2000.I only brought a bike to cycle from one pub to another!

« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2008, 07:53:29 am »

In a shock admission, the rider known as tonyh has revealed that he has no intention of putting in any miles today, the last of the cycling year, although he could have gone at least some way towards making up for the disgraceful shortfall which the watchbike Offbike has already not yet published. The Leader of the Opposition has said that the failure typifies the endemic wrong-headedness of the rider, pointing out that members of his party would certainly have ridden today, and would have ridden well, although they would have already fulfilled all their targets many weeks before.

Offbike will report not only the lowest mileage for 4 years, but also a further continuing decrease in the important TFC index, which is a measure of the total feet climbed during the year. "This is really very worrying", intoned the Opposition Leader. "My party would certainly have gone out there and simply climbed some proper hills".

The rider has been reported as claiming that his mileages for the last 3 years are all within "about" 3% of each other, and that the TFC index has also remained roughly steady. He also manipulated (our unbiased reporting avoids terms such as "massaged") the figures to suggest that, alongside the admitted failures, he has still averaged 1mph for the year, and has climbed more than the height of Everest per month. In a fiery and emotional speech, Mr Opposition said that failure always speaks for itself, and commented: "Our Party is not a Three Percent Party; and we do intend to progress a great deal faster than One Mile Per Hour!!"

« Reply #18 on: 31 December, 2008, 10:10:49 am »
Mileage on bike 7170 this year my highest yet, just.Mileage in car about 6000 my lowest since,the year 2000.I only brought a bike to cycle from one pub to another!

My 2008 mileage will be about 4260 my lowest for years. That's in 175 rides (commuting there and back counts as 1 ride), about 50 rides down on last year, 65 on my big years. Car mileage, zero.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: 6 weeks left - targets for the year? / And coming in dead last...
« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:16:09 am »
Today's the last day of my cycling year (04 Feb 2008 - 31 Jan 2009). Assuming I get home in one piece the figures are:

Target      -  5040       (1)
 Actual       -  4469
 TFC          ~ 148,700'  (2)
 Days         ~ 150         

The actual includes 250 odd for lunchtime socials which is why the figures for days and TFC are approximations.

(1) 28 miles * 180 days (45 weeks at 4 days/week).
(2) Based on Tracklogs' total ascent for commute.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου