Author Topic: Getting the stem right  (Read 2304 times)

Getting the stem right
« on: 26 March, 2012, 10:07:16 pm »
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread.

I have  a Trek road bike amongst others and have just reversed the stem cos I am an old git and the reach felt a bit long. I am not convinced ref ahead fixings and messing about with 5 or 6 knm star fittings which also make me uncomfortable. Stonking great old  threaded things used to make me think all was well. What do others think?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Getting the stem right
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »
I've not had any problem with threadless headsets ( at least in regard to the threadless design ), and nor has anyone I know.
( I have had headset bearings fail, but that's not an issue of threaded vs threadless. )

What problem is concerning you?

The stem clamp system works just fine.
The star nut is just used for the initial pre-load to remove any play from the system, and then the stem clamp holds it all in place.   It's possible to actually remove the cap-bolt totally after the stem is clamped.

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2012, 01:21:13 pm »
Flipping the stem is usually one of the best improvements you can make to a road bike.

I like ahead sets and think they are far easier to set up properly than threaded headsets.

they are ugly though and being unable to adjust the height is a major flaw.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2012, 01:52:11 pm »
There are various adjustable stems available for Ahead.  I've used one of these from Spa Cycles

The best bike has a Specialized Stem that allows 4 different rises/falls by adjusting a shim

If you don't like star fangled washers then there are alternatives available, the Hope Hed Doctor for example