Author Topic: Tiger King  (Read 959 times)

Tiger King
« on: 13 April, 2020, 06:09:39 am »
Wondered why I kept seeing references to 'Joe Exotic' about 3 weeks ago. Ooh exotic. He sounds exciting. Wonder what he does. Now after watching a couple of episodes I'm wondering why this series has managed to be so popular. It seems to be about a deranged guy keeping tigers going ever more nuts in his battle with an animal rights organisation. The guy is a massive bore and I'm baffled as to why people want to watch him. Take away the american accent and the gayness and he just seems like the average 50 year old heavy metal fan who has never grown up that can be found in any shit pub everywhere.

What am I not getting?

Re: Tiger King
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2020, 07:16:26 am »
That the majority of the public are mindless morons?
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2020, 08:25:55 am »
Actually, I 'watched' it a couple of weeks ago.

Daughter was watching it so it was on telly.  I asked her why she liked it.  'It's so bad I just want to see what happens at the end'. *

The yout of today probably only divert about 20% of their attention to the TV so they consume rather than watch. We watched the special extra episode last night. 'Well that was shit' said daughter.

*the answer is nothing.
"Il veut moins de riches, moi je veux moins de pauvres"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2020, 09:03:17 am »
Is it along the same lines as “Cleaning up with the CashGuardians”?
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2020, 09:49:57 am »
I think his criminal activities are more of interest to the public than the tigers, as well as his arch-enemy Carole Baskin, who (as conspiracy theory nutters have it) allegedly put her husband through a meat grinder and fed him to his own own tigers. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2020, 10:51:22 pm »
What am I not getting?

That it’s not about him.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2020, 11:18:40 pm »
The show isn't really about the individual people. For me it was more about the system that makes their industry viable - not just the trade in tigers, but also the 'reality TV' industry and much else.

I was recommended it by a friend who said I would understand america a little better if I watched it, so I did and don't regret it. Like any TV show the actual facts of the 'case' are blown up for television purposes.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.