Author Topic: Best way to protect oak in contact with patio  (Read 647 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Best way to protect oak in contact with patio
« on: 13 October, 2023, 10:49:09 am »
This is to support a GWR bench, where the two cast iron ends are screwed to wooden battens about 500mm x 100mm, since otherwise they would lack stability and leave rust stains.

I used pine last time and painted it with Sadolin.  This has lasted 8 years outside and is still reasonably sound.  As I'm refurbishing all the wood and the slats themselves are oiled oak, I have bought two more pieces of oak to use as feet, replacing the pine.

Should I paint with Sadolin, or just use teak oil to match the slats?  Will oiled oak be ok in contact with the ground?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Best way to protect oak in contact with patio
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2023, 11:04:31 am »
I have a couple of items of wooden furniture that stay outside all year on paved areas . . . one has 4 legs in contact with the ground and the other has two battens.

I've raised them off the surface by about 1cm so that any surface water flows under the timber - I used the plastic disc things that are used to fix headboards to a bed and stop the bed bashing against the wall - a simple screw through a washer into the ends of the legs/either end of each batten.

Used these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/PAIR-Headboard-bolts-Washer-fixings/dp/B01H2SYSIM  discarding the bolts and used screws/washers.

The legs being off the ground really isn't noticeable, and the wood stays dry.

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2023, 09:57:42 am »
Plus, best not to use iron/steel fasteners with oak in damp conditions.  Brass or bronze. Oak releases acetic acid (mainly) when damp.

« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2023, 10:28:14 am »
Agreed. Oak blackens around iron fixtures.

On my wooden furniture that is out all year, I screwed some rubber feet off an old computer case. Only adds about a cm to the height.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2023, 08:19:36 pm »
It certainly buggered the "stainless" coach bolts.  They were very rusty and unscrewing the nuts took some effort.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.