Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144779 times)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1150 on: 31 January, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »
I used to use a Suunto watch, until they discontinued support and made it unable to access any of the tools (  ::-) ) so I've always used a chest strap.  When I changed to Garmin, I simply changed to their chest strap and carried on.  The numbers are usually more consistent with a chest strap as long as you get them talking in the first place.  It was a little flaky connecting at first, but that seems to have been fixed in one of the updates.  If I just use the wrist sensor it does that thing of trying to 'normalise' high readings, which still seems to be a thing they haven't nailed. One thing I haven't tried is getting the Suunto chest unit to talk to the Garmin.  Theoretically it should work ANT+, and it's a more comfy unit, but I just haven't got enough Tuits to spare at the mo...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1151 on: 31 January, 2021, 10:18:44 pm »
7.5@8.5 tonight:)

I finally found a couple of pairs of shoes to replace my 360 miles young Hoka Rincons, so bought a pair of Hoka Carbon X 2 (11.5UK) and a pair of Saucony Kinvara (11UK). I’ve now done one run in each pair and they’re very different but both fun. The Kinvara remind me of the slippers I used to race in, although my feet aren’t as responsive as they were back then... the Carbon X2 are bouncy and feel fast, but much stiffer underfoot.

Should keep me going for a few months - but I do wonder how we reached the point where running costs as much as driving on a per mile basis... the Rincon’s cost 90 and I turned them into dog walking kickabouts at 360 miles - that’s 25p/mile if I ignore the utility of not putting my walking boots on every morning. Carbon X2 are more. Nike Vapourfly seem to be about £250 and there are suggestions they’ll last as much as 250 miles - £1/mile!!!!

Cycling is cheaper, even on a high end thing. Even the shortest lived tyres should come out at under 10p/mile and chains maybe 2p/mile.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1152 on: 01 February, 2021, 08:21:29 am »
Morning all.

Have you missed me?  ;D

I hope you are all well. Have I missed much?  ???  I won’t say that it’s been easy, but I got through January without social media. I might sit and reflect on the experience, but in the mean time let’s get down to important matters.

I didn’t run as much as I wanted to, but I’m coming to realise that although the flesh is up for it, the mind is still the problem. But I’m not going to go on a lot about my weaknesses, I managed to get out two or three times a week for the most part so I’m still a runner.  :)

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1153 on: 01 February, 2021, 09:46:25 am »
Welcome back.  We wandered away from just the existential angst of running so good to have you back. :)

« Reply #1154 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:47:45 am »
Welcome back Beardy!

« Reply #1155 on: 01 February, 2021, 12:32:52 pm »
I was hoping to see you back Beardy.  Been out for a steady 8k this morning.

January has been a good progressive month for me:  I have hit most kms in a month since my restart in January 2020 (since the mid nineties in fact!) and longest run since whenever too.

Feeling good as February has started well and Bearby is back.  YAY  \O/

The ToJ has been it's usual miserable self though.  Some things never change.  🤔 😀

« Reply #1156 on: 01 February, 2021, 04:35:58 pm »
Glad I decided on gloves for my 5k today as the warmup walk and first couple k my hands were rather cold.

It's odd, it's not as cold out there as the last couple weeks, no ice or frost for example and it wasn't windy but I felt a lot colder for some reason.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1157 on: 01 February, 2021, 05:47:39 pm »
I'm not sure where you are but here in Rugby on Wednesday and Friday last week I ran in shorts and a tee shirt.  It was unseasonably warm just 48 hours after the snowfalls of the weekend and sub zero overnight temperatures had turned Rugby into an ice rink for a couple of days.

Cool enough here for tights and ling sleeves today though.

« Reply #1158 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:06:30 pm »
First jog at new location today.

What are these hill things? <shock>

Running in the dark - with enough moonlight to cast a shadow. Fabulous.

Just a short pre-work jog, not even 4km, but it put a smile on my face. No need for headphones and music when the surroundings are so beautiful.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1159 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:49:59 pm »
Ordered a pair of Hoka trail shoes tonight. Mine have very little cushioning but amazing grip for mud. Wanted something for harder trails

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1160 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:01:30 am »
We’ve got weather here this morning.

I knew I should have gone out yesterday.  >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1161 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:07:12 am »
14km done.  Very wet and muddy along the canal and then a mid calf level flood across the road in the last km.  New Polar OH1+ optical HR worked perfectly in conjunction with the Fenix. 

« Reply #1162 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:37:51 pm »
Tee shirt and shorts weather again today.  Very much enjoyed my run and looking forward to Friday already.

Socks:  I have a few pairs of Defeet WoolAireator socks which I have used for cycling, gym sessions and running over the past five or so years.  Indeed, I haven't cycled for nearly three years and it was easily a couple of years, perhaps more that I have been using these.

Anyway, they are beginning to wear thin around the heel, achilles and ball of my foot so I am thinking that it might be time to replace them.  The question is, with what?  Recommendations welcome please.

« Reply #1163 on: 03 February, 2021, 04:12:28 pm »
Well that 5k was hard work, I had a stitch the entire way round and just could not find a decent breathing rhythm. Which caused which I don't know.

But hey, I got out and did it when I could have stayed home so I'm happy. And it resulted a fairly average time for me so I wasn't doing as badly as I felt.  :thumbsup:

I think it's time to up my 5ks to 6s and reintroduce longer runs as I haven't done a 10k since October.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1164 on: 04 February, 2021, 07:42:38 am »
This morning's effort makes it 3 runs on the island.

First two very short (3.8km). Upped todays effort to 5km - the extra bit is just up and down so disproportionately hard (particularly for someone who has only been running on the fens for the past 2 years).

Strava (and Google maps) get elevations very wrong. The turn point for my run takes me to a little bay - the road runs right to the rocky shore. There is the sea, right in front of me. Googlemaps and Strava put it at 10m elevation. Erm, no, it is about 2m. Maybe 5 when the tide is out. At high tide you can step from the road to the water!

So the elevation graph doesn't look all that impressive in Strava. Annoying, that last hill is steep (cars struggle to get up it).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1165 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:11:28 am »
Just 9k today on a lovely foggy morning.  Legs have felt stiff and tired all week but we are transitioning back into full keto so not unexpected.

I did say to myself as I ran from fog into dawn how fortunate I was to have found this thread.  Thank you

« Reply #1166 on: 05 February, 2021, 12:54:56 pm »
Beardy did the forum a big favour starting this thread.  He also did me a big favour as it gave me extra motivation to crack C25K and then go further.

A lovely 12k today accompanied by clouds and a gentle breeze.  Another shorts and tee day too.

I have reached that stage where I am enjoying my runs again.  Haven't been here since the mid-nineties.  👍

On the socks front:  I have bought some Runderwear socks to try.  I have been using Runderwear briefs and am very happy with them so I thought that as I had no recommendations I'd go with a brand that has served me well thus far.  Socks are of course a lot different to briefs but I am prepared to take the risk.

bairn again

« Reply #1167 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:40:24 pm »
I joined Mrs Again for a run at lunchtime. 

She's been trying to get back into it and I said Id tag along as moral support. 

When I worked in Edinburgh city centre (pre 2005) I used to regularly run the 4 and a bit miles home post work as I really didn't like cycling it, but have done next to nothing since.   

I got back into running a bit when a broken wrist in 2009 curtailed my cycling temporarily and subsequent attempts left me suffering with very painful calf muscles, normally mid run, enough to make me stop and hobble home.     

So we did a leisurely 4.1 km round Carrick Knowe Golf Course in half an hour. 

I enjoyed it & my calves held out. 

« Reply #1168 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:41:21 pm »
My usual 'when it's been too wet to run in the Park' route this morning.
Cool, but not too cold. Sunny. A bit faster--best time on that route this year.
Got back home. Before I got in the shower, I could hear the rain rattling on our carport roof.  :smug:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1169 on: 05 February, 2021, 07:44:51 pm »
Yes thanks to Beardy - this has remained a really positive and supportive thread and it’s brilliant to see everyone leaving the wheels behind;) with such joy.

I’ve been struggling a bit with work and dark and weather the last few weeks, so haven’t done as much as I’d like. However, just back from 5 1/2 up the road to Killinghall and back along the Old railway. The Nidderdale Greenway as it is now is a credit to some of our local cycling and environmental champions - Malcolm and Gia Margolis, who I first became aware of for their environmental understanding back in the very late 80s or early 90s and who have consistently worked, unfortunately in the face of NYCC, with other to improve our local facilities and environment. They were far ahead of most of us in realising the damage we were doing to the earth and our own future.

« Reply #1170 on: 07 February, 2021, 01:30:10 pm »
Got out for another 10k this morning. Yesterday was second fastest ever and today was third fastest, although the hr was much more controlled today. Satisfying progress.

« Reply #1171 on: 07 February, 2021, 01:52:52 pm »
I did 7.5 miles on Thursday @ 8:30 min/mile. My faster ever, and mostly Z3, bit of 2, bit of 4.

Went out yesterday 2.5 miles at same pace but z4, 5 and bit of 6  ;D

(I had been out on the bike that day and had 3 dbl espressos.)

Tried out the new Hokas and found they encouraged me into a longer stride than my normal high speed, feet close to ground, shuffle

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1172 on: 07 February, 2021, 02:47:49 pm »
Having had a poor week on motivation I now find myself stymied by sno of which there is lots in the Angles. Horrid wet sno, not hat nicer dry powdery stuff.  It’s forecast to stay around for a few days which is doubly horrid.

« Reply #1173 on: 07 February, 2021, 03:33:38 pm »
We have no snow yet but it is threatened for overnight.  If it falls and sticks around I will pull 9n the trail shoes tomorrow and do our local disused railway line.  I had hoped to do that for the last fall of snow but there simpmy wasn't enough to make it worthwhile.

Fingers crossed.  Icy conditions underfoot will cost me a road session. 

« Reply #1174 on: 07 February, 2021, 03:41:43 pm »
I got out this morning for a 10k and although it was pretty cold, the roads had dried out since yesterday and I could cope.
The forecast for the next few days is of 'feels like' temperatures of around -5 to -7ºC which I do not fancy. I could add an extra top layer and warmer gloves and see how it goes I suppose. There is no snow forecast, which in some ways is a shame, seeing I don't have to drive anywhere until Friday.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."