Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143068 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #50 on: 27 October, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »
Yes, well done.

I've no idea how to prevent running injuries either <limps>
#Plantar fasciitis

I find that hard-surface running is the work of the devil, and have come to greatly prefer trails. I find that to be less injury-causing.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #51 on: 01 January, 2020, 01:22:00 pm »
An update, just in case you are interested.

I’m still running 2 or three times a week, and now have a 7km route I follow. I’ve yet to manage running for the whole route, although this is in part because I need to Include a hill for longer distances if I’m going to run from home.

I do need to run today, but I’m watching the weather slowly roll in while I undertake a gentle stretchi g routine on the sofa. I’ll probably give in to the internal nagging just as it starts to rain!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #52 on: 01 January, 2020, 06:00:04 pm »
Nice one fella!   I have now completed Couch to 5k twice and the knee is holding up. I’ve also joined a virtual running club called Run Things and they had a challenge where you had to run 50k from 1st December to Christmas Day and I managed that too.

On a less positive note I’ve jiggered my back up and the gym where I used to do a lot of treadmill running is closing down. Bugger on both counts.

« Reply #53 on: 10 January, 2020, 01:24:44 pm »
I've no idea how to prevent running injuries either <limps>
#Plantar fasciitis

I got rid of my PF in a week or two by putting a golf ball under my desk and rolling it about underneath my foot. Took a bit of concentration when I first started doing it but I now do it without really thinking about it, and transfer it between the feet every so often. Got rid of my PF and it hasn't ever come back.

Just finished W4 of C25K on my return from a jiggered ankle. I set off on my usual run commute (11km) but switched to a hire bike once I'd done the C25K workout. I miss running in the entire way but I'll get back to that in April according to the grand plan. Need to hold back otherwise I'll just pick up some annoying niggle.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #54 on: 21 January, 2020, 07:10:39 pm »
An update, just in case you are interested.

Good stuff. I’d be very happy to be able to go out and regular do a 7km loop like that. I have restarted following some sort of glute muscle tear and I’m in Week 2 of the CT5K. So far so good. Currently trying, without noticeable success, to not do bent leg running. This evening’s discovery: I don’t really like running in the dark in general, and particularly not on the Thames path, as i can’t see the trip hazards. Or maybe I need a head torch.

« Reply #55 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:28:43 pm »
W7D1 today was a 5 minute walk, 25 minute run, 5 minute walk. Just clicked over 5k for the whole thing although I've done 5k twice doing parkrun with my daughter. Will start to ramp up partial run commute by 1km a week now and be back doing the full 11.5km on March 20th.

« Reply #56 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:12:45 pm »
W5R2 today. 2 x 8 minute runs, 5 minute walks before, between and after.

All going reasonably well, touch wood. A few minor niggles but not of the worrying kind. Feel able to run further but find it difficult to increase my pace. Will stick to the programme though, as I don’t want anything to break.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #57 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:10:00 pm »
It’s nearly eight months since I started on this lark, and amazingly I’m still going. I’m only going out once or twice a week most weeks, though sometimes mange three times in a week, but I can now routinely do 5k without too much agro, and indeed feel somewhat deflated if for some reason I don’t manage 5k. I’m still not fast, but my times are improving with my 5k pb now being 39mins. I’ve yet to manage 10K but I’ll get there I’m sure.

I’m now looking at my ‘training’ and wondering how I might maximise my time to improve faster. Should I be running longer and slower, or shorter and faster? Do I need to do interval training? And what about cross training. Obviously in the current situation I’m limited to what can be done at home and within a short distance of home. Amazingly it’s one area where I’m actually kind on myself for my failings.  But I think I’ve becoame a ‘runner’  ::-)

So, a word to those still struggling, if a fat lazy lardarse like me can do it, almost anyone can. Just don’t beat yourself up when you don’t go out; you’ll get there.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #58 on: 16 April, 2020, 01:48:17 pm »
^^^  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #59 on: 16 April, 2020, 02:41:50 pm »
Excellent work Beardy.

When I cracked C25K I found that there is very little useful stuff for Bridge to 10K so I have devised my own plan that works for me.  I haven't built speedwork into my plan, just endurance.

My really complex plan is just this:

I run 3 times a week.

From 5k I added 0.5k and ran 5.5k for a week

Same to get to 6k which is where I am now.

I intend to do the same until I get to 7k

At 7k I will push myself to run 8k, then 9k, etc.  I aim to get to 1 hour running or 10k whichever comes first.

Speedowrk can come later if I can be bothered.

Devise something which works for you but the key is actually getting through the door.

« Reply #60 on: 16 April, 2020, 02:43:15 pm »
Well done Beardy and thanks for the advice. It's 3 days since I started this lark and amazingly I'm still going (2nd one done just now).

« Reply #61 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:12:06 am »
You are doing great. Running 2-3 times a week is enough to maintain fitness and health.

If you want to run further and go a bit faster I recommend:
  • Varying the speed during your run. This doesn't need to be hugely complex; one of the best ways is to just incorporate sections of faster running. While out running, pick something 100-200m ahead and significantly up your speed until you get to that point. Then after another couple of minutes, do it again.
  • Increasing the distance of one of your weekly runs. Take it up a kilometer at a time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #62 on: 21 April, 2020, 08:35:25 am »
To expand on the above you can read here in the Running thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58.msg2141005#msg2141005

I was doing 3 x 5k runs per week. I kept one the same (to act as a recovery run or a benchmark), one changed to a long run (with the distance slowly increasing each week, try to keep within a 10% increase in distance [both total weekly distance and individual run distance] a week), and one changed to an interval run.

I did mine by extending the long run to 10k first and then using one of the 5k runs to do intervals. If you don't have a proper running watch that can shout instructions at you and tell you if your pace is too slow then you can just do it by feel (which is better than not doing it at all) as mrcharly-YHT says, just pick a point ahead and run faster towards it, then have a period of recovery (even walking but keep moving) and repeat.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #63 on: 17 May, 2020, 02:02:20 pm »
I’ve just done a new PB 5k. Yea! Ok, 38.10 isn’t going to break any world records, but... yea.  :smug:

« Reply #64 on: 17 May, 2020, 03:02:52 pm »
Well done Beardy  :thumbsup:

If it's useful to anybody, I've found my Garmin watch an excellent motivator. I started running in January, just using Strava on my phone to record and log and vaguely following a plan to very slowly build up miles.

Once it was clear I wasnt going to fall apart, I invested in a Garmin 245 Music, which does all the usual stuff as well as music (meaning no need to carry phone). It is the integration with Garmin Connect that is great. It has Garmin Coach, and you can choose a goal (building up to 10k race, or just getting faster), set you frequency of runs, and it works out a program. I did a 5k one first and the beauty of it was that it stopped me overdoing it. Now half way through a 16 week 10k race programme. The pattern is two drill sessions (3 miles, with high cadence and walk-jog-run drills after a 10 minute warm up) then the third run of the week alternates between a Magic Half mile session (10 minute warm up, run 3 miles, run 0.5 mile really fast, 10 minute warm down) and a long run session (10m W/up, 5 mile run, 10m w/dwn).

The distances highlighted have gradually increased.

So I now find myself really looking forward to the long run, in which I can run all the way to, and around, a hidden roadless valley with forested sides, and an abandoned gothic mansion in the middle, and back without too much bother. 8 miles all in.

It takes the planning out of it and removes the danger of trying to do too much too quickly

It estimates my vo2 max, which also motivates me to increase it and not let it drop. Love it.

« Reply #65 on: 17 May, 2020, 04:49:06 pm »
I’ve just done a new PB 5k. Yea! Ok, 38.10 isn’t going to break any world records, but... yea.  :smug:

Excellent.  Very well done indeed.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 17 May, 2020, 07:57:44 pm »

If it's useful to anybody, I've found my Garmin watch an excellent motivator. I started running in January, just using Strava on my phone to record and log and vaguely following a plan to very slowly build up miles.

Once it was clear I wasnt going to fall apart, I invested in a Garmin 245 Music, which does all the usual stuff as well as music (meaning no need to carry phone). It is the integration with Garmin Connect that is great. It has Garmin Coach, and you can choose a goal (building up to 10k race, or just getting faster), set you frequency of runs, and it works out a program. I did a 5k one first and the beauty of it was that it stopped me overdoing it. Now half way through a 16 week 10k race programme. The pattern is two drill sessions (3 miles, with high cadence and walk-jog-run drills after a 10 minute warm up) then the third run of the week alternates between a Magic Half mile session (10 minute warm up, run 3 miles, run 0.5 mile really fast, 10 minute warm down) and a long run session (10m W/up, 5 mile run, 10m w/dwn).

So I now find myself really looking forward to the long run, in which I can run all the way to, and around, a hidden roadless valley with forested sides, and an abandoned gothic mansion in the middle, and back without too much bother. 8 miles all in.

It takes the planning out of it and removes the danger of trying to do too much too quickly

It estimates my vo2 max, which also motivates me to increase it and not let it drop. Love it.

Ooh - I started the 10k Garmin Coach this week on my Vivoactive, so it's interesting to read about how it progresses. Which coach are you using?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #67 on: 18 May, 2020, 03:44:32 pm »
Thank you people. DrBeardy (Mrs) bought me a new Garmin when my Vivosmart died. I’ve not really explored it, but thanks to your promptings I’ve just set up a 10K training plan to start tomorrow. Hopefully with it’s help I’ll be up to 10K by the anniversary of my starting the C25K.

« Reply #68 on: 18 May, 2020, 05:39:30 pm »
Excellent stuff Beardy.

I was out this morning for my short run of the week - 6k!  As I trundle along I smile regularly to myself as I clock up each kilometre with an extra chuckle as I pass 5k.

As I said up thread, my current aim is to slowly build to 10k before I seriously consider "speed work".  As it is I shall do two 6k runs and one 8k run this week.  Next week the 8k becomes a 9k.  I have ambitions of a half marathon at the end of October.

Stick with it because it is only willpower that gets you there.

« Reply #69 on: 18 May, 2020, 05:54:57 pm »
Thank you people. DrBeardy (Mrs) bought me a new Garmin when my Vivosmart died. I’ve not really explored it, but thanks to your promptings I’ve just set up a 10K training plan to start tomorrow. Hopefully with it’s help I’ll be up to 10K by the anniversary of my starting the C25K.

Ooh - I started the 10k Garmin Coach this week on my Vivoactive, so it's interesting to read about how it progresses. Which coach are you using?

'Coach Jeff'   ....I cant remember why I chose him. I just like the fact it is all gently progressive.

« Reply #70 on: 18 May, 2020, 05:58:07 pm »

If it is one of the training programmes that lets you set a goal date be a bit careful as it will just cram it all in. Remember not to increase weekly mileage by more than 10%....which if like me you are running 12-15 miles a week doesnt amount to much!

Let us know how you get on. I've found it a great motivator and helps me stick with it. 

Talking of which....

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #71 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:09:57 am »
Off to fit a cheeky 5k in before it gets to warm.
HF, so far the programme seems under demanding and apart from the intervals, none of the runs have been harder than I’m used to.

« Reply #72 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:17:03 am »
That's probably a good thing.

I, on the other hand, am now injured. Real stiffness and pain near hip. Quite sudden onset. I think it is a yoga injury exacerbated by running. Trying to self-diagnose, and I think I've fucked the top of my hamstring

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #73 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:45:52 am »
HF  :( I hope you get it sorted.

I’m back from my hardest run to date. I’ve run further, and I’ve run faster, but something about todays run made it hard. I was concentrating on my foot placement because so far I’ve been mor or less just shuffling and my left shin is beginning to grumble. As a consequence I’m first 3k were a bit fast for me, but I refused to drop to a walk and kept going To complete the 5. It’s also a bit warm out there, about 500* or so I think. Now trying to cool do before I shower so,I’m not still sweating,after I’ve finished. Yuck

« Reply #74 on: 26 May, 2020, 01:19:42 pm »
I did a 10k run at 2pm yesterday. Tad toasty. I spent most of the second half (which roughly coincides with it starting to go more UP then down) wishing I could just give up but glad I pushed on through.