Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144024 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #75 on: 26 May, 2020, 01:26:22 pm »
Tomorrow morning I will be doing a 9k in my Not the C25K plan!  I get up around 04:30 and start running usually around 05:30 or earlier after my warm up walk to my local rec.

I suspect that at my stately pace it will also be my first 1 hour run since I came back to running.

« Reply #76 on: 26 May, 2020, 11:32:16 pm »
Tomorrow morning I will be doing a 9k in my Not the C25K plan!  I get up around 04:30 and start running usually around 05:30 or earlier after my warm up walk to my local rec.

I suspect that at my stately pace it will also be my first 1 hour run since I came back to running.

What time do you go to bed?!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #77 on: 26 May, 2020, 11:37:40 pm »

What time do you go to bed?!
Earlier than us I imagine  :D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #78 on: 27 May, 2020, 06:10:19 am »
Well, I rose at 04:00 and was in the rec for 04:45.  9k done and I was pleased to be not as slow as I thought that I would be.  Back home sweating and rehydrating!!!

I usually go to bed around 22:00.  On run days I have an extra nap during the day.  Likely I will shower after breakfast then go to bed for an hour or so.  Seems to work for me. 

« Reply #79 on: 27 May, 2020, 08:47:42 am »
6 hours is a bit short for me these days. Having said that, I have been making an effort to get enough sleep for the last year or so, having burnt the candle at both ends for far too long.

Chapeau.

« Reply #80 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:54:53 am »
Merci.

On non-run days I can easily sleep for upto 9 hours.  Fortunately my enforced retirement allows me this luxury.

OT:  what watch are you using these days Mike?

« Reply #81 on: 27 May, 2020, 11:28:39 am »
Still using my Garmin 935. It works across running and biking and I quite like the heart rate driven metrics. However, it seems to have decided that I spend the first mile of every run climbing, even though I know it’s downhill. Apparently, mine isn’t the only one to do this, but I haven’t solved it yet. I’m trying various approaches to calibration. It’s not important enough to swap it, but is mildly irritating.

I have to admit, and suspect you’ll understand, that I am increasingly wondering whether to continue using/allowing the cloud based services (Garmin and Strava) to have access to and to hold any of my data, particularly location data. I may be paranoid, but the transfer and use of data is one of the hidden issues of our time I think. Hi

I sometime manage 9 hours at the weekend:)

Mike

« Reply #82 on: 27 May, 2020, 01:02:47 pm »
I have been using a Garmin 735 for 26 months now and thus far it has been superb save for the strap falling apart every 13 months and it needing a screen protector which needs replacing about twice a year.

I cut my link with Strava and my data on Garmin Connect is private save for my connections.  I don't use any other fitness apps.

I never have the phone connected to the watch whilst running either.

It took me years to discover that I could put the phone into airplane mode and then select 4g, bluetooth, etc.  I find it very useful to block the possibility of the phone interrupting my zoned out running time.

I'm hankering after a Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire.  Extravagant and way beyond my needs but with the pandemic my big holiday is off for this year at least and I would like a treat.

« Reply #83 on: 27 May, 2020, 02:18:29 pm »
I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap 945 on eBay, and then I'll sell my great condition 935 to part fund the upgrade. Aiming to get it down to just £100 difference. pricespy is telling me I can get a 945 for just £382.99 somewhere although I haven't investigated how realistic that is.

I like the idea of the Pulse Oximeter on the 945, and the ability to play music without needing to carry a phone (I don't listen to anything when running but the ability to do a walk with music and not carry my mobile is nice).

Otherwise it's just an unnecessary toy upgrade.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #84 on: 27 May, 2020, 02:35:52 pm »
I prefer podcasts and stuff on my walks but don't listen to anything when running.  My dilemma with carrying a phone or not is that if I have an accident (and I have in the past) I will need a phone.

VO2 is supposed to be more accurate on newer models too.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #85 on: 27 May, 2020, 02:39:18 pm »
The Fenix 6 pro sapphire was a bit of an indulgence but it’s a fantastic watch. I’m glad I resisted the urge to buy an Apple Watch and bought this instead. I’m hoping to learn how to use some of the functions one day.  :o My only real disappointment is the inability to listen to audible on the watch. There appear to be work around, but I’ve not yet explored those because they seem somewhat long winded.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #86 on: 27 May, 2020, 03:08:51 pm »
So, you'd recommend it then in spite of it being a bit of an indulgence? 

« Reply #87 on: 27 May, 2020, 03:29:41 pm »
I prefer podcasts and stuff on my walks but don't listen to anything when running.  My dilemma with carrying a phone or not is that if I have an accident (and I have in the past) I will need a phone.

Fair enough.

One major problem is that it seems to be keyed off HRmax and so it massively overestimates mine.

I generally don't hit more than 180bpm when running in a straight line (and that's only if I push it at the end of a run) but I also use the watch for 5-a-side football (using the same "Run" profile, maybe I should change this post-lockdown) where I can occasionally hit 200bpm+ for a few seconds a few times during a game. I guess the algorithms in the watch simply think that I'm holding back massively on my normal runs and therefore my ~28min 5k at ~165bpm HRavg should really translate to a VO2MAX of 45 (ha!) if I bothered to use my spare capacity and therefore a 5k time of 23m10 (which would be a PB by over a minute) which is what it currently suggests are my "Race predictor" times.

« Reply #88 on: 27 May, 2020, 03:36:13 pm »
I find with the 735XT that I need to pull the watch one hole in on the strap before run otherwise I get erratic HR readings.  The other thing which bugs menis that Garmin Coach is not available with the 735XT but is on models further down the range.  A function of the age of the 735XT I guess.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #89 on: 27 May, 2020, 05:43:58 pm »
So, you'd recommend it then in spite of it being a bit of an indulgence?
absolutely. But then I’m a bit of a geek with a gadget fetish who believes that life’s greatest goal is to acquire more Toys useful stuff than anyone else. Possibly. And maybe the bane of my long suffering wife’s life  ;D

« Reply #90 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:08:51 pm »

I almost always leave my phone at home when running, except when I do a long one with a bum bag. However, I can see the appeal of the Fenix.

More accurate VO2max could be disappointing;) having said that, my 935 seems reasonable in its assessment of my HRmax, which is a long way shy of 200.

« Reply #91 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:30:25 am »
I have been using a Garmin 735 for 26 months now and thus far it has been superb save for the strap falling apart every 13 months and it needing a screen protector which needs replacing about twice a year.

Classic case of speaking too soon.

I noticed yesterday evening that the screen is lifting on the bottom right edge of the display.  I could see the backlight through the gap which of course means that is no longer watertight.  I have been fortunate as I do wash up with my watch still on.

It is 26 months old so out of warranty.  I doubt Garmin will pay for the repair but I will ask.  A quick google reveals that this is not uncommon with the 735XT so I would suspect is also a problem on other similarly constructed Garmins like the 235, 245, 935 and 945.

I have to admit that it stopped me pressing the button on the Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire last night.

Not sure what to do now.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #92 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:33:24 am »
The fenix has a screwed on crown, so it _shouldn’t_ lift. I can’t speak for its overal longevity though as I’ve only had it a couple of months.

« Reply #93 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:34:28 am »
That's very reassuring Beardy.  Thanks for that.  👍

« Reply #94 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:37:55 am »
Speak to Garmin, they often sell discounted refurbished models for cheaper. Might be worth asking about a cheaper upgrade.

I've sent back two HRM-Tri straps to them that have given up the ghost (and out of warranty) and they've sold me another for half RRP (and cheaper than I could find anywhere else).

product.support@garmin.com

I sent them:-

Hello,

I have an HRM-Tri strap that is out of warranty (it's over 3 years old, I bought it with my 920XT) but has stopped working (changed the battery more than once and nothing).

I've heard that you sometimes offer discounted replacements. If so, what price (in the UK)?

Regards,

and got back:-

Thank you for your email.

Based on the information you have provided we will need to book your Garmin device in for a replacement. As your device is out of warranty (purchased more than 12 months ago), we can offer to replace your device for a fixed replacement cost of £46.58.

To proceed with this please note below:

Please respond to this email to provide your postage address and telephone number.
    Once the order has been created, you will receive an email containing a payment link, this will enable you to send us your credit card details via a secure method.  Please follow the details carefully.
    Once this is completed, the Return Material Authorisation reference (RMA) will be booked and you will receive an email informing you of the RMA number and where to send your device and what shipping method to use. If the payment information is not provided then your RMA will not be booked.
    Please do not return your device without an RMA reference.

Important Information: 

The above option does not process the payment. This will be done when we have dispatched your replacement.
    If the payment link has not been completed within one month then your RMA will be cancelled.
    When returning your device, please clearly mark it with the RMA reference and  only the device itself. We ask that you do not include any cables, SD cards, cases, or any other accessories with the device
    The turnaround time for this replacement is up to 5-10 working days from when we receive your device
    If the device is replaced by Garmin, then any mapping or subscriptions in your myGarmin account that you have purchased for the original device such as the Lifetime Map Update or Birdseye outdoor mapping will be exchanged to the replacement device for you

If you do not wish to use the above option then please call our Product Support team to provide your payment details over the phone.

Monday–Friday: 8:30 AM–5:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC)

Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000
    Phone (within UK): 03708501242
    Phone (outside UK): +44 370 850 1242

« Reply #95 on: 28 May, 2020, 02:50:47 pm »
Well, I have pushed the button on the Fenix 6 Pro Sapphire.  Once it is here and working I shall investigate repairs for the 735XT.  What I read online indicates around £60 by Garmin.  I can suck that up as I intend to pass it on to a needy but skint family member.

« Reply #96 on: 29 May, 2020, 07:29:53 am »
Back to the real business of this thread:

04:30 alarm and out by 05:15.  Clear blue sky, slight freshness in the air, little breeze and a blinding sunrise.  An "easy" 6k today.

I typed that then realised what I had typed.  To consider it as "easy" is suddenly very satisfying considering that I couldn't run 600m without a break in February.

« Reply #97 on: 29 May, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
Back to the real business of this thread:

04:30 alarm and out by 05:15.  Clear blue sky, slight freshness in the air, little breeze and a blinding sunrise.  An "easy" 6k today.

I typed that then realised what I had typed.  To consider it as "easy" is suddenly very satisfying considering that I couldn't run 600m without a break in February.
:thumbsup:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #98 on: 29 May, 2020, 09:57:52 am »
5.15 sounds like a good time to run at the moment - I was out at 6 this morning and it was already pretty warm!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #99 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:04:23 pm »
I’ve had to go to the supermarket this morning so no run. I shall try and get out later when it begins to cool down a bit.