Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143106 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #275 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:43:32 pm »
Yeaee. Another one joins the fray. If I can do it with some 35kg of extra lard and the motivation of a sloth, then anyone can. My knees haven got any worse than they were before I started ...

There is evidence to show that running for the majority of folk is not contributory to knee problems.  Quite the opposite in fact.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #276 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:46:04 pm »
Yeaee. Another one joins the fray. If I can do it with some 35kg of extra lard and the motivation of a sloth, then anyone can. My knees haven got any worse than they were before I started ...

There is evidence to show that running for the majority of folk is not contributory to knee problems.  Quite the opposite in fact.
excellent news. I shall cross that off the cons list for running forthwith.  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #277 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:56:09 pm »
If you have a dig around The Running Channel content you will find one stating this in one of those "mythbusting" type vids.

« Reply #278 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:29:27 pm »
I'm not light (for my height) with a BMI of 28. Several dodgy joints.
Unless I do something stupid, I can plod around 10km without any problems.

My eldest step daughter is not a "runner's build" and really enjoyed doing couch to 5km.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #279 on: 28 July, 2020, 04:40:21 pm »
I have occasional knee issues from cycling so am being careful.

Second jog was fine today, I very slightly feel my hips but nothing significant.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #280 on: 28 July, 2020, 05:09:08 pm »
Especially in the early stages make sure to give yourself plenty of recovery time between runs as well as doing dynamic stretches and a warm up walk before you begin.  I do a ten minute stretch routine before walking 1k and then starting my run.  I walk at least 1k afterwards and do some static stretching when I get home.

If you stick at it you may be surprised at how quickly you improve. 

« Reply #281 on: 28 July, 2020, 06:28:06 pm »
I have occasional knee issues from cycling so am being careful.

Second jog was fine today, I very slightly feel my hips but nothing significant.

Running and cycling have different effects on me - maybe slightly but not entirely generalisable? - running has  marked effect on muscles post run, so a long hard run leaves them tired and possibly even feeling a bit 'fragile'. Joints tend to be absolutely fine. Cycling can drain energy if long enough, but muscular recovery tends to be quite quick. However, I'm more likely to note slightly sore knees or, occasionally, hips afterwards. I quite like a mix, but I've been running since I was a teenager, albeit with some very low volume/high mass periods.

PB, Beardy and Greenbank are pretty inspirational, whether they realise it or not, and have all paid their dues.

Enjoy - it really is a wonderful sport way of playing.

Mike

« Reply #282 on: 28 July, 2020, 06:44:28 pm »
So kind Mike.  Much appreciated and totally not deliberate.

Starting in August I am going into a four week cycle.  Monday is the long run, Wednesday will be a 6k easy "trail" recovery run and Friday will be interval and speed work.  I am hoping to inject some swimming and pilates in between these sessions.  And, the impending arrival of Big Yellow may herald an occasional cycle ride as well.

I have three different sessions for Fridays so every fourth Friday will be a mad dash attempt at my 5k PB.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #283 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:12:09 pm »
I’m late to the party because I don’t know what to say. I’ll try thank you Mike, but it seems somewhat mean as a response. I have to be honest though, the reason I started posting here is because you lot don’t complain and have put up with, any even encouraged, my continual drivel. It was nice when PB and Greenbank joined in and my improvements have in a large part been down to their support and encouragement. The real test will come when the weather turns cold again, although I’m hoping that my gains this year will encourage me to do more through the winter to try and maintain them.

To anyone else who’s been reading this thread and wondering whether to join in. Do. I mean if you don’t try it, you won’t know.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #284 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:01:32 pm »
I've tried many times in the past to do running and never gone beyond a couple weeks. I'd say this thread and the Cross Training one are what really spurred me onto giving it a proper go this time and I'm really enjoying it.

Well, for some runs enjoy is probably generous but overall I'm enjoying the fact I can do it. And I'm probably the fittest I've been in several years.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #285 on: 28 July, 2020, 11:17:18 pm »
I too would say that this thread was what pushed me into running again.
Thank you.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #286 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:14:34 am »

Well, I’d better get out there for this mornings run then. I don’t want to disappoint our public.  ;)

« Reply #287 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:44:51 am »
The real test will come when the weather turns cold again, although I’m hoping that my gains this year will encourage me to do more through the winter to try and maintain them.

There's 2 things that helped me with this:
1. Habit forming. If you've made space in your week to do something on a regular basis, it becomes just a thing that you do.
2. Getting beyond the point in your running where you only have one speed. When I first started running, I was either running or I wasn't. My run speed was just above my walk speed, and I was putting in a lot of effort for it. A very specific improvement point was the realisation that my speed had picked up to the point that I could ease off, go slower, but still be running. That point allowed me to increase distance, but also to enjoy the act of running (vs. the enjoyment of having finished the running) because I wasn't thinking about how hard it was all the time.

« Reply #288 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:56:00 am »
I joined the thread because of Beardy being brave enough to put it out there.  Greenbank's presence only makes it better.

I am inspired and motivated by having my virtual training partners here day in, day out and if more join and stick with it then all the better.  I hope that we are all motivating each other.

I was looking for a running forum for my fix but it's all here in Beardy's thread.

Thanks mate.  Thanks also to everybody who has helped this thread along.

We need to ensure that we get an in person run together including everybody who fancies it at some point in the post covid future.  I wonder if I could arrange camping weekends and fit in parkruns or 10k's somewhere ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #289 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:32:11 am »
Well that’s a bummer. I went out for a run and decided to explore some more trails. The thing is I set my watch goin on a work out and it finished the workout about a third of the way into the run.But I didn’t notice until I’d done two thirds of the run when I ‘resumed’ the session. I’ve now got a very improbable looking route and a time and distance that don’t reflect my session.  :facepalm: >:( :-[
It’s all this influencing people, it’s gone to my head.  O:-)

« Reply #290 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:36:06 am »
I must have a setting deep in the bowels somewhere set differently as mine auto resumes at the end of a programmed workout.

Garmin ate your homework!  😃

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #291 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:42:08 am »
I’ll have to look a for that, but you could have told me before! It’s typical though, there’s a major outage and I manage to avoid any problems, everything gets back to more normal and I screw up!

Still, if was a good run, and I enjoyed being out in the fields for a change. I used to do an amount of fell walking in my youth, and while that is a bit tricky here in the depths of the Angles of the East, there’s more than enough countryside to explore. I can see me getting into that no I’m getting better.

« Reply #292 on: 29 July, 2020, 01:26:14 pm »
I 9nly wish that I could have told you about it but there are two reasons why I could not.

1:  My telepathy ain't working, and,

2: I only know that it must be there somewhere because my old 735XT did what your Fenix6 does but my Fenix6 auto resumes.

I'll have a dig into settings one day out of curiosity but I actually quite like auto resume on workouts. 

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #293 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:52:50 pm »
I'm jumping into the c25k thing as well. I've tried it in the past, but being rather overweight, got injured after trying to take things too fast. I've lost weight recently, but still very heavy (120kg!) so taking things easy. First run today, some knee and ankle twinges but went fine. I'll give it a few days before the next one.

It's great to see so many people making such good progress on here. Well done Beardy and Polar Bear in particular.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #294 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:27:49 pm »
Hulver, I was over 120kg just after Christmas and I’m still 117kg. Just take it easy and measure your success against your own progress, not anyone else’s. I’m too,fat and a bit slow, but I’m really enjoying my running just at the moment because I’ve recently started to run some of the footpaths away from the roads. Everyone here has been a huge support so although I don’t think any of us would profess to be experts, we have recently done what you are proposing to do and one of us might have a helpful answer.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #295 on: 29 July, 2020, 11:29:40 pm »
Hulver, I was over 120kg just after Christmas and I’m still 117kg. Just take it easy and measure your success against your own progress, not anyone else’s. I’m too,fat and a bit slow, but I’m really enjoying my running just at the moment because I’ve recently started to run some of the footpaths away from the roads. Everyone here has been a huge support so although I don’t think any of us would profess to be experts, we have recently done what you are proposing to do and one of us might have a helpful answer.

Thanks Beardy.

« Reply #296 on: 30 July, 2020, 06:48:20 am »
Welcome Hulver.

I too am a member of the 100kg plus club.   However, the only weight limitation that I have encountered recently is the weight of expectation that I have pressured myself with.

C25K is not as simple as a nine week programme.  If you have a bad session, miss a session, find a session or a week too hard, just reschedule and / or repeat it.  It's an outline progressive plan to get you to 5k, eventually.

I have found great resources on YouTube including a guy called Andy Clayton who has a series of vids on C25k and so some on going beyond 5k.  There is also lots of other stuff on YouTube  from all kinds of people as well as broader running content and even guys who put up training plans and materials.  I'll have to do a round up and share my favourite content providers.

One of my favourite discoveries was on The Running Channel and was a vid about Jeff'ing.  Jeff'ing is run walking, i.e. walking when you need to. 

It took me at least four attempts at C25K over quite a period of time (years) to crack C25K so don't worry.  It will happen sooner or later. 

Keep us regularly updated of progress please.   Same for AH and anybody else venturing forth.

« Reply #297 on: 30 July, 2020, 07:12:43 am »
I got home last night to be greeted by a partner who said "I've been running."

I don't think she's run anywhere since she was a schoolgirl.

Expecting a lot of groaning and complaining this morning. She's following C25k, but might be going a bit fast. Estimate she did nearly 5km last night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #298 on: 30 July, 2020, 08:31:55 am »
Is she doing 5K2C?   😀

« Reply #299 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:02:32 am »
Is she doing 5K2C?   😀

Lol. She started with 10min walk, because she wanted to get past someone who was ambling along the road. She walks fast so I suspect her walking speed is about the same as many runners!
<i>Marmite slave</i>