Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144464 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #450 on: 25 August, 2020, 07:39:50 pm »
Calling Team Beardy.

PB to Team Beardy.

Check in guys.

It's gone a bit quiet and I'm wondering what AH, Hulver, Beardy and others are up to.  I'll be doing my midweek Sustrans trail 6.25k in the morning.  Already looking forward to it as I am feeling revitalised. 

So, waddaya  got?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #451 on: 25 August, 2020, 08:05:44 pm »
I went out walking the dog briskly today and a couple of times speeded up into a slow jog. It seemed ok and the muscle in my side, which still twinges a bit when I climb stairs, was quiet during to jogging.

I’ll try going out properly on Thursday without dog and not wearing jeans and see how redoing Week 2 run goes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #452 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:18:45 pm »
Well after running a fast (for me) 5km on Friday (that led to slightly sore shins on Saturday) I went out yesterday with the intent of a gentle recovery run. But I got into a good rhythm (helped by it being a bit cooler than it has been) and ended up doing 10k and apart from knocking nearly five minutes off my 10k time I also got a 5k PB within that.

Not quite the plan and it may not have been wise but I seem to have got away with it. Actually the most pain afterwards was my right shoulder and left lower back and I think that's because I cross more side roads that require me looking right back over my right shoulder than the left.

I have had a complete rest day today mind and done nothing more physical than make some pancakes.

My new trainers seem to be good for me so I grabbed another pair whilst they're still £32. Got the same colour though so I may have to change the laces or something on one pair so I can tell which pair have done what mileage.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #453 on: 25 August, 2020, 10:36:01 pm »
I’m afraid I’m still unmotivated, although thankfully the ToJ algorithm doesn’t have that as a choice of output. I am tentatively honking about going out tomorrow morning, but I don’t want to shout about it lest I hear and take fright. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #454 on: 25 August, 2020, 11:01:48 pm »
I've not been for a run since Thursday last week. I might be able to squeeze one in tomorrow, I'll have to see how many meetings I've got lined up. Been a busy time. I'm about to kick off a fairly major cycling training plan, but I'm aiming to keep going with the running as well.

« Reply #455 on: 26 August, 2020, 07:19:17 am »
Hopeful news there AH.  Good plan to revisit week 2.  Hope it goes well.

£32!  What bargain is this?   And new 5k and 10k PB's in one run.   I am envious.   Did you set a new pancake scoffing PB too?

Life getting in the way there Hulver.  It will be interesting to see if your work / life balance can accommodate cycling and running training plans.

C'mon Beardy.  Let's have a run report.

I have been out as planned.  The first 4.5kms of the trail went entiry to plan save for that I had gone out slightly faster than intended: I needed a Jeff.  Thankfully my brane knew that it was just a Jeff and not a quit and I was soon back running again.  I put an extra very small diversion into the run for variety and finished with an uphill sprint.   I was feeling negative about the Jeff but in fact my average time was better than last week so I can be pleased about that.

The original plan for the last Friday of the month was a tilt at my 5k PB but as things have changed a lot during August for me I think that I will give that a miss: more pavement woe instead with broken pavements, potholes, missing utility covers, tree roots breaking up the pavement surface, cars blocking pavements, dog fouling, blocked drains causing flooding, etc., etc., etc.  Oh, not forgetting the hills ...

Looking forward to it!  😉

« Reply #456 on: 26 August, 2020, 10:39:21 am »
£32!  What bargain is this?   And new 5k and 10k PB's in one run.   I am envious.   Did you set a new pancake scoffing PB too?

These are the shoes. New Balance Draft running shoes. Bought as a stop gap until I can get a proper fitting for proper running shoes as my old trainers were knackered so I figured even the wrong shoes would be better.

Well as it happens all my ankle pain cleared up within a few runs of starting the new shoes so I figured I'd grab a second pair whilst they were still cheap as stock seemed low. It may be that if I start going further/faster that they aren't quite right and I do still need a fitting for something better but even then I might still be able to use these for recovery runs or just mooching about as they're quite understated.

And yes the pancakes disappeared pretty quickly.

« Reply #457 on: 26 August, 2020, 11:57:24 am »
No running for the last couple of days.  Holiday and weather got in the way.  Walked 10k over the hills on monday and then just drove yesterday.  Hoping for a run today, possibly one with some new friends tomorrow and then some cycling over the weekend.

hulver

« Reply #458 on: 26 August, 2020, 02:00:36 pm »
Didn't manage to get out today. Car broke down this morning so I had to deal with that in my lunch break. Tomorrow I shall run!

« Reply #459 on: 26 August, 2020, 03:51:38 pm »

These are the shoes. New Balance Draft running shoes. Bought as a stop gap until I can get a proper fitting for proper running shoes as my old trainers were knackered so I figured even the wrong shoes would be better.

Well as it happens all my ankle pain cleared up within a few runs of starting the new shoes so I figured I'd grab a second pair whilst they were still cheap as stock seemed low. It may be that if I start going further/faster that they aren't quite right and I do still need a fitting for something better but even then I might still be able to use these for recovery runs or just mooching about as they're quite understated.

And yes the pancakes disappeared pretty quickly.

I wish that I could find the shoes which work for me at such a good price. 

Wouldn't mind a pancake or three either ...   😋

« Reply #460 on: 26 August, 2020, 06:02:16 pm »
Got our for what I hoped would be about 12k.  I came to my first little downhill embankment and started bounding down it when both quads on successive strides just locked up.  tried to keep going but just too painful so turned round and hobbled/walked/ran home.  8km of exercise but not much running.  A real shame as th until then i had been running smoothly and quickly for me.

« Reply #461 on: 26 August, 2020, 09:27:00 pm »
Hope that it's not serious Chris.

Hope that you have sorted your car issues Hulver.

The weather forecast for my next run on Friday morning is rain.  Considering changing to Saturday morning which will be the coolest morning for about two months with temperatures in single figures.   Let's see what the forecast is in 24 hours first.

« Reply #462 on: 26 August, 2020, 09:30:51 pm »
Thanks PB.  Spent the evening with ice packs on both legs whilst munching ibuprofen and paracetamol, foam rolling and stretching!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #463 on: 27 August, 2020, 06:49:43 pm »
Did a run today, the first in almost 3 weeks. I redid the Week 2 workout to see how I got on, but this time I had the dog with me. She seemed extremely puzzled when I suddenly broke into a jog (I guess she hadn’t seen me running before in her 10 years) and trotted alongside me, giving me occasional sidelong glances to check I wasn’t doing anything else weird. I took my normal route which is round a Baggersee with no cars.

Weirdly my AirPod Pro on the right hand side was slipping out all the time. I had to replace it every minute, and once it fell right out onto the floor. I must have a really slippery ear all of a sudden.

I’ll try the Week 3 workout on Monday, but I am glad I have no ill effects after my enforced layoff.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #464 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:33:49 pm »
YAY !!!   That's great news.

Weather permitting I will venture out again tomorrow morning.  With sunrise rapidly facing back I have adjusted my alarm for an extra hour in bed.  Rise at 5!!!   In reality I tend to wake becore the alarm goes off so it'll be more like 4:45a.m.

hulver

« Reply #465 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:51:44 pm »
Hope that you have sorted your car issues Hulver.

I have thanks, nothing serious fortunately. Dead battery. I switched the car off while waiting at a level crossing that was taking forever. When the barriers came up the car wouldn't start. A visit from the AA man to give me a jump, and a new battery and it's all sorted now.

Still not got out for a run though. Was supposed to go out today, but got too excited about a new training program so ended up doing an hour on the turbo instead.

« Reply #466 on: 27 August, 2020, 08:52:19 pm »
Legs are feeling better. Iced them last night, stretched this morning then every couple of hours and a Pilates session this evening.  Visit to the sports therapist tomorrow evening booked.

I had hoped to get an August 200 in on Monday.

« Reply #467 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:19:48 pm »
I had a gentle recovery run yesterday, that had a false start. I figured as I wasn't going for any sort of time I'd try out the backpack I was talking about yonks ago ahead of any future potential long runs. Alas being a nitwit I didn't even try to run a few yards to test it but did my five minute warmup walk first, and then managed about 50 yards before the bouncing of the backpack had a) driven me mad and ii) dragged my t-shirt up above my kidneys.

So I walked home again dropped off the bag and resisted the allure of saying "sod it" and went out again. A gentle 5k (and as my good friend Darling David points out I went from not running at all until March to doing 'easy' 5ks which is pretty awesome) albeit I strongly considered cutting the run short at at least two points.

It was a heavy legged run and I've only done a gentle half hour on the exercise bike today but it's all good.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #468 on: 28 August, 2020, 08:16:41 am »
Relative positive news all round then. 

Unfortunately I have not run this morning   I awoke to heavy rain on the roof and a quick check on the Met Office website revealed that the rain had closed in and is expected to last all day.

Needless to say it is still raining.   For me personally the positive news is how much cooler it has become.   Very happy Bear.  🙂🙃😉🙃🙂

« Reply #469 on: 28 August, 2020, 05:14:25 pm »
I told a lie above, my 10k run on Monday was a 10k PB but it was only my second fastest 5k time  :o

And today's run was a good un, went out at a steady comfortable pace without pushing it anywhere but without intentionally going slowly as per my recovery run Wednesday and matched my second best 5k time.

« Reply #470 on: 31 August, 2020, 07:30:02 am »
Morning run and end of month progress report:

Been out on them roads and pavements again and did a 9k.  Longest stretch outside of my safe area which was pleasing.  Also pleasing was that I didn't feel the need to Jeff.

Some rebuilding progress after my mini collapse at the start of August.  My overly-optimistic  grand plans have been shelved and I intend to take the gains of resetting mid-month and continue to consolidate where I am now.  If I get through September unscathed I have a 12 week half marathon plan to put in place to finish the year on.

A strange month but at least things are moving in the right direction once again.

« Reply #471 on: 31 August, 2020, 07:31:09 am »
Morning run and end of month progress report:

Been out on them roads and pavements again and did a 9k.  Longest stretch outside of my safe area which was pleasing.  Also pleasing was that I didn't feel the need to Jeff.

Some rebuilding progress after my mini collapse at the start of August.  My overly-optimistic  grand plans have been shelved and I intend to take the gains of resetting mid-month and continue to consolidate where I am now.  If I get through September unscathed I have a 12 week half marathon plan to put in place to finish the year on.

A strange month but at least things are moving in the right direction once again.
👍

« Reply #472 on: 31 August, 2020, 03:39:44 pm »
Thanks Chris.  😀

I feel well exercised and am fortunate enough that I can take it easy for the day. 

Highlights are getting an hour continuous under my belt again as well as doing a number of hills.  I am also much more relaxed with my route having almost learned all of the blind man's hazards such as kerbs, pot holes, missing utility covers, broken pavement, half-hidden temporary signs, etc., etc. It does help when I'm not staring intensely at the constantly-changing two metre patch of ground immediately in front of me.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #473 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:10:47 am »
Well, I did it, I put my running shoes back on. It was only a short run, less than 5k, and it was jeffed, but it was done. A mix of trail and road (jeffing always seems more acceptable when trail running ) which I have to say I enjoyed.

I must say it’s a constant round of education is this running. After a 2 week break, my legs felt good through today’s run, but it was my breathing that caused me to walk. I think I’ve said it already, but I need to get my rowing machine out to,do some cross training, especially with winter coming.

One first world problem though, I couldn’t find my wireless earphone so I had to resort to a pair of wired buds. I was concerned that they’d keep falling out but in the event i caught the wire around a hand rail as I crossed over a stream, yanking my phone out of my pocket and nearly depositing it in the water! I need to find my wireless ones before my next run! 

Thanks to Mike for the encouragement and to the rest of you for your continued inspiration.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #474 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:39:54 am »
Well I didn't run yesterday as I ended up moving a planned bike ride from Saturday to Monday due to weather.

So, once I finish this tea I'll be popping out before lunch with hopefully enough time for a shower too as I have a work video meeting after lunch.