Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144524 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #600 on: 28 September, 2020, 01:00:12 pm »
chrisbainbridge,

My body has adapted to my routine and I "drop a little weight" before I run now every time.  I have cound myself half way round with a sudden need but also I find that the running seems to have firmed up bladder and bowel control though I wouldn't want to be half way round a marathon!  🤔  😉

I am normally fairly trained as well.  First thing in the morning then cycle to work without problem.   i think the problem today was that whilst I followed my normal practice, I was a bit later and had eaten more over the weekend!

Fortunately I start with a loop in the fields at the back of the house and then come close to the house before starting the main big loop.  otherwise I would have had real problems.

« Reply #601 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:07:33 pm »
Managed to get out this evening. 10k at 7:28 pace and average HR of 125 with only a few percent above 130.

« Reply #602 on: 29 September, 2020, 08:46:55 am »
And another steady 4.75k before I go on holiday.

« Reply #603 on: 29 September, 2020, 09:16:34 am »
You're whacking them out Chris.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #604 on: 29 September, 2020, 12:04:04 pm »
PB, I am really enjoying the running but am aware that I am an enthusiast so tend to go hard at things and then stop.  The only exercise I have ever persevered with is cycling until now.

We are away for a few days so we should be walking upto 10-14km per day but i would like to keep some runs in as well although I think I will reduce them to about 2-3km of running for the next week or so.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #605 on: 29 September, 2020, 03:53:09 pm »
I just went out for Week 6 Workout 1.

My Apple Watch and iPhone have the annoying bug since IOS14/WatchOS7 where it doesn't record GPS tracks on activities. So today I decided to do the reset/repair procedure which takes about an hour.

That all went well but I had forgotten that I would need to reinstall all my music on my iPhone which then copies across to the Watch and I can listen to the Couch 2 5k podcast as I run.

So instead I just used the C25k Apple Watch app I had bought which simply tells you when to run and when to walk. It was rather good actually.

What was really noticeable was that I was running at a much faster cadence and got really hot and sweaty. I think the speed of the podcasts makes me go slower than I perhaps need to. I hit a heart rate of 191 which is not bad for a fat 49 year old woman!

This was the hardest run I have done. Annoyingly, because I used the other App and not the Fitness app it didn't record the GPS for the run (the warm up and warm down were recorded with the Fitness app and have GPS data) so I don't know if I got any PRs.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #606 on: 30 September, 2020, 07:41:07 am »
Pity you didn't get to record it AH but that doesn't negate the excellent progress.

I have been out to finish off the month on a high myself.  Did a "mere" 5km along the local trail and the plan was just to tick along.  Ticked along very nicely and my pace was quicker than last week yet again.

Although September has been a low mileage month I have managed to pick myself back up and get out regularly once again.  The 5km today was deliberately symbolic for me as that is where this journey started in January and it is so easy to forget that progress.

It's not long now until I switch to mid-morning runs given how the temperatures are dropping down towards single digit daytime highs.  I think that will coincide with my half marathon distance training plan.  Until then however, I will just bask in the moment.  😊

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #607 on: 30 September, 2020, 08:35:15 am »
Now she's done the C25K, my wife is getting ambitious.  I've pointed out that it's a big gap between 7min/km at you rmax HR to a 30 min 5K comfortably.  In response to that she challeneged me to a 5K race.

That means I'll have to start running again  ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #608 on: 01 October, 2020, 12:06:13 pm »
Well that was a hot mess, and funnily enough, so am I now.  ;D

It was a torture session innocently called Goal Pace Repeats by Garmin coach. It started with 30seconds@200spm 30secs recover repeat 4 times, then it was ‘acceleration glides’ which consisted of 3mins going from a jog to a fast run and back to a jog, 1 minute recover, repeat 3 times and finally a jeffed 5k, 800m run at race pace 3 min recover repeat 5times.

Between my confusion, the technology and my fitness, as I say it was a hot mess. Oddly I don’t feel as knackered now as I do after a 5k.

At least I now know that the anxiety I was feeling about doing this session was justified, even if letting it put me off doing it yesterday wasn’t.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #609 on: 01 October, 2020, 12:59:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #610 on: 02 October, 2020, 06:14:02 am »
Feeling a big grumpy.  Up, stretched, supping some caffeine-laden, zero cal electrolyte and suddenly I hear a familiar pitter patter upon the velox above the breakfast area.  Yup, it's raining.  It sounds a bit like rain in the tent so it has a soothing if frustrating effect.

Yesterday evening I expected to be rained off but at 05:30 there was no rain and Mr. MET Office was giving me a window of opportunity.  Now, with cummings-like cruelty Mr.MET Office has imposed rain-strictions.  I am pretty sure that MP's didn't get to vote on it.  🤔

Weather forecast looks abysmal until Monday so I need to think about indoor activities.

Hope some of you have better weather fortune than I.

« Reply #611 on: 02 October, 2020, 07:37:05 am »
Here it's not just the rain that's put me off, it's the wind. Welcome to Storm Alex.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #612 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:10:00 am »
The weather is putting a spanner in the works of my RED October plans. Just the weather mind, nothing to do with my motivations; issues. Oh no, nothing to do with that at all.  ::-)

RED = Run Every Day for those,that didn’t know. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #613 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:13:42 am »
It occurs to me that I could book a session at the gym and do 45 minutes on the treadmill.

I'll ponder upon that one.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #614 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:15:24 am »
Like PB, I had intended to run yesterday evening. Then rain. It would have been my first run for a week, possibly more. Took into account that the rain always sounds worse due to skylights. Checked forecast; constant rain till Monday, minimal at the moment, positively typhoon like Saturday evening (7mm per hour for three or four hours non-stop) so took the chance. Didn't get too wet. Didn't run very far though. Intending to do it again today.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #615 on: 02 October, 2020, 09:44:25 am »
Isn't running in the rain like cycling in the rain, in that the idea of it is always worse than the actuality?
Surely you and your clothes are going to be washed and changed when you're done anyway?

« Reply #616 on: 02 October, 2020, 10:46:06 am »
Never enjoyed cycling in the rain after a terrible week touring in the Outer Hebrides.  Life and death would be the only persuader.

« Reply #617 on: 02 October, 2020, 11:50:53 am »
Yesterday I went for a run. Not planned, I was supposed to be paddling, but work didn't finish until 7ish (I lie, I went back to work about 10pm).

So run in the dusk. 1km from home, the dirty road turns to 2" deep slop. Then gets deeper.

Jog around large machinery and truck, realise they are trying to tow an arctic off - it can't get traction on the mud (fen-flat road, so that gives an idea of how bad it was).

Decide I don't fancy running back through that lot, so I reroute via the fields. Hmm, running off road in the dark is not quick or easy. Felt like a good workout anyway.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #618 on: 02 October, 2020, 11:56:56 am »
I’ve just heard that a friend and ex colleague who ran and cycled as well as being a vegan has died suddenly of a suspected heart attack. He was only 59, ie my age.   :'(

« Reply #619 on: 02 October, 2020, 12:10:26 pm »
Isn't running in the rain like cycling in the rain, in that the idea of it is always worse than the actuality?
Surely you and your clothes are going to be washed and changed when you're done anyway?

Stuff rubs a lot sooner than it does when running in the dry. (Even though I sweat like twelve sweating things.)

I can do 25k runs in the dry and not have a problem.

Even just 5k in the rain can lead to chafing/bleeding if I'm not careful (usually it just means I have to cover my nipples with strips of micropore tape - vaseline just isn't reliable enough for me).

Other than that I generally prefer running in the cold/rain/drizzle as I generate huge amounts of heat when running and it helps deal with that.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #620 on: 02 October, 2020, 12:59:04 pm »
I’ve just heard that a friend and ex colleague who ran and cycled as well as being a vegan has died suddenly of a suspected heart attack. He was only 59, ie my age.   :'(

Condolences Beardy.  That is sad news.

It just goes to show that lifestyle is no guarantee.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #621 on: 02 October, 2020, 02:23:24 pm »
Really sorry to hear that Beardy.

We are still dry here in Nordrhein-Westfalen so I just ran Week 6 Workout 3, which is 25 mins non stop.

It went very well and I ran 2.92km in that time, so pace 8:32 /km (cadence 145spm).

Feel good now and looking forward to the next run, probably Sunday.

I guess when I finally run 30 minutes I’ll be lucky to get over 3.5km. I wonder what the average fat lady’s distance is for 30 minutes. 5k no chance!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #622 on: 02 October, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »

Genetics overpower lifestyle.

I suspect your friend enjoyed being fit and the time spent cycling and running was not wasted.
'tis a blow losing someone you know, doubly so when they are your age.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #623 on: 02 October, 2020, 05:44:16 pm »
I don't normally mind running in the rain. Once you're going and warmed up it can even be fun.
But we have a lot of trees round here and they have a habit of throwing bits of themselves at you if you're not careful.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #624 on: 03 October, 2020, 02:34:32 pm »
It occurs to me that I could book a session at the gym and do 45 minutes on the treadmill.

I'll ponder upon that one.

That went well:  not!

The halfwit organisation that runs our council-subsidised leisure centre decided to update their app.  All activities are by booking only now so you'd think that they would have been especially careful wouldn't you?

Well, the app already had me signed in from pre update so no worries there. Er, wrong.  The booking section now requires a separate login which is your standard login.  However, the password protocol has changed and requires a special character now where it didn't before.  So, even though I am logged in to the app I cannot log in to book a session.  ??????

No problem, just change my password.  Hmmm, it will not accept my current password even though it is asking for it and has me logged in.  My password is invalid !!!!!!

Huge fail.

Bigger fail is that there telephone helpline is not a telephone helpline.  It is merely a cascade of options with overly verbose wittering that, no matter which set of options you choose, eventually direct the caller to their inadequate webshite (deliberate) and hangs up on you.

In total frustration I sent the CEO a rather short but factually precise email.

They tried to ring me six times yesterday but from a private number.  I never answer private numbers.  They have sent me emails too.  They are extremely sorry and are working on the problems with their app.

No treadmill session but if I want to book I can do so on an email address sent to me.  Wonder how other customers are faring?