Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144531 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #675 on: 20 October, 2020, 05:14:22 pm »
I’ve been thinking about getting a treadmill, but following an afternoon in the pub with Freddie (#1 son) I think it unwise to look at them on the interwebs.  O:-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #676 on: 20 October, 2020, 05:54:17 pm »
I'd much rather use the very expensive one at the gym knowing that it's use is paid for as part of my gym membership.  Same for the short course indoor pool, the well-equipped gymnasium, yoga and pilates classes, bouldering wall, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, I forgot the Concept rowing machine.  Awesome bits of kit.  👍

« Reply #677 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:56:43 pm »
I haven't run since my 13k last Thursday. I was very sore that evening and the next morning but a long hot bath eased things up far more than expected.

Had a very gentle weekend more out of laziness rather than need and then the last two days I've had to head to the office and cycle 25 miles home of a lump of a folder.

Aiming to get out for a run tomorrow though I'm aware I have to go back to work again Thursday and cycle home again. Will see how the legs feel.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #678 on: 20 October, 2020, 08:47:53 pm »
I'd much rather use the very expensive one at the gym knowing that it's use is paid for as part of my gym membership.  Same for the short course indoor pool, the well-equipped gymnasium, yoga and pilates classes, bouldering wall, etc., etc., etc.

Oh, I forgot the Concept rowing machine.  Awesome bits of kit.  👍
I’ve got one of those already as buying it has been cheaper than gym membership over the years. I did buy it second hand though. I agree with you though, they are awesome bits of kit.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #679 on: 20 October, 2020, 09:25:43 pm »
If I was to buy a Concept rower and a treadmill I would also need to build an extension.   That rather tips the financial balance somewhat.  🙂

I would quite like my own home gym including one of those "never ending" pools but it's far more convenient and simpler to pay for somebody else to provide these for me.

« Reply #680 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:07:38 pm »
Isn't running in the rain like cycling in the rain, in that the idea of it is always worse than the actuality?
Surely you and your clothes are going to be washed and changed when you're done anyway?
I don't normally mind running in the rain. Once you're going and warmed up it can even be fun.
But we have a lot of trees round here and they have a habit of throwing bits of themselves at you if you're not careful.
This morning, although it wasn't windy, it was raining quite hard. I thought of this post and decided I really ought to get out there.
Currently I have three 'short' routes (plus a 10k one for the weekends). My current favourite short route is to use the parkland surrounding our local NT property (coincidentally our local parkrun as well). That would have been a bit soggy this morning. Route two, which is the one I favoured during lockdown, is no longer much fun due to the increase in traffic at the times I run. That leaves route three, the 10x200m hill intervals. Well, it has the advantage of being the shortest, I suppose.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #681 on: 21 October, 2020, 08:39:40 pm »
Didn't go out this morning because much much rain.

The sun came out after lunch though albeit still rather windy. So once lunch had gone down I went out with the intention of a slow easy 5k. What I managed was a slow hard 5k. I had nothing spare to even think about going any faster but I got round it okay. I may regret it tomorrow when I'm cycling home as my legs are quite sore but I'm about to try a hot bath to ease them before an early night.

« Reply #682 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:26:39 pm »
I got out yesterday evening in the dark for my favourite 6k. There is a nice field halfway round where I have watched the corn grow and then be harvested. In the dark I did not realise that the farmer had sprayed a large amount of Slurry. Cue a total wash of shoes, clothes and body. I will have to find a new route for the next week or so.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #683 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:35:41 am »
Much kudos to you all for getting out yesterday in spite of the weather. I have the excuse that it was my rest day, so I stayed home clean and dry.

Today though. It’s a lovely out there and I’ve now completed my task of taking the boy to his driving lesson. I’m therefore out of excuses, yes I’ve got my chores to do but sarah is usually ok with me going running first. It’s a perfect day to go sailing, but I’ve not got a boat so I can’t use that as an excuse.

I’m going to have to go for a run aren’t I?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #684 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:43:47 am »
Went out this morning at 8 to do the first run of week 9, 30 minutes.

Having had a weekend in England eating loads of carbs I felt bloated and heavy. I was a lot slower, average 8:30 per km. Last week it was 08:00 per km. But I ran on until I had done 4km, which ended up at 35 minutes. I hope to speed back up a bit now I am back to healthy keto eating.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #685 on: 22 October, 2020, 11:53:15 am »
Much kudos to you all for getting out yesterday in spite of the weather. I have the excuse that it was my rest day, so I stayed home clean and dry.

Today though. It’s a lovely out there and I’ve now completed my task of taking the boy to his driving lesson. I’m therefore out of excuses, yes I’ve got my chores to do but sarah is usually ok with me going running first. It’s a perfect day to go sailing, but I’ve not got a boat so I can’t use that as an excuse.

I’m going to have to go for a run aren’t I?

Yes.  I am just back from my run.  Bit sunny out there   🙁

Went out this morning at 8 to do the first run of week 9, 30 minutes.

Having had a weekend in England eating loads of carbs I felt bloated and heavy. I was a lot slower, average 8:30 per km. Last week it was 08:00 per km. But I ran on until I had done 4km, which ended up at 35 minutes. I hope to speed back up a bit now I am back to healthy keto eating.

Nearly there.  👍

Pace is not critical especially over the short term.  Long term commitment will bring natural gains.

I have just finished run 2 of week 2 in my quest to half marathon.  Struggled to see where I was going due to the low, bright sun and managed to step into a huge puddle hidden in the shade of a wall.  Minor discomfort but no real harm.

Another run down, 40 to go...  🙂

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #686 on: 22 October, 2020, 03:46:12 pm »
6.2k in 50minutes. A bit slow, but Uncle Jeff joined in a little. Legs vert heavy towards the end. The ToJ says I’m productive so that’s better.

I got into trouble last weekend for going running on Sunday, so I might try and first something in tomorrow, otherwise it’ll be Monday.

« Reply #687 on: 22 October, 2020, 05:01:39 pm »
At least you got out which is good.

I missed yesterday due to persistent rain so ran today and plan to run again on Saturday.  Might just get up and go for a 7:00a.m. session before the clocks fall back.

My 6.3km complete with waits at crossings, puddle dips and hills come in at a shade under 42 minutes which I am quite satisfied with.   My ToJ also thinks that I am productive at the moment so I await it's hissy fit in the next few days.

« Reply #688 on: 22 October, 2020, 07:30:22 pm »
I had a strange lack of meetings at lunchtime, so got out for a steady 5km. Lovely and sunny.

« Reply #689 on: 22 October, 2020, 07:41:50 pm »
Hello again all!!

Nice to see everyone here - I’ve looked in occasionally:)

Thought I’d just share that I’ve just got back from a run - 5.66 miles - without my hamstring hurting:) I’ve done one shorter run for each of the last two weeks and have had some tweaks and pain the following day, so I’ll see what tomorrow brings. However, at the moment I’m still aglow.

HR was fairly high at 158 average and clipped 176 at the end - but I think that happens when you lose a bit of fitness.

Hope all are keeping well

Mike

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #690 on: 23 October, 2020, 10:28:22 am »
Today’s challenge is not to eat my body weight in doughnuts. <deity> but I’m hungry.

« Reply #691 on: 23 October, 2020, 01:53:13 pm »
Our local baker has just delivered three types of flour (for my regular bread and cake making) but also a loaf of his fruit loaf and a tray of his really very moist raspberry and apricot flapjack. My next run is in 17 hours so perhaps I can have a treat with my afternoon cuppa.

« Reply #692 on: 24 October, 2020, 08:59:43 am »
And ...

... I completely overslept this morning.  Oh well, body clearly wanted sleep.

One run missed this week now unfortunately but that happens.  Nothing to worry about.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #693 on: 24 October, 2020, 10:47:01 am »
There’s always tomorrow or the day after. I’ve only done two runs this week. I’d like to get out this afternoon but will have to see how the land lies. Either way I’m not going to run tomorrow so I’m back in step on Monday.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #694 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:08:27 pm »
Today I ran 5k!

It took me 41 minutes but that’s ok for a fat, 50ish woman I think. I ran fasted which works for me.

I am a bit stiff now but should loosen up when walking the dog shortly.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #695 on: 24 October, 2020, 03:50:08 pm »
Awesome.  Well done.

« Reply #696 on: 24 October, 2020, 03:56:11 pm »
Indeed, well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #697 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:18:42 pm »
Now planning to reduce the running time but try to speed up a bit by doing intervals. I’ve downloaded an Apple Watch app so will see how that goes.

I don’t really want to run for more than 30 minutes as it makes it all more of a Thing.

« Reply #698 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:42:49 pm »
I like your thinking.  Please keep us up to date with your achievements.

I'm wondering whether to get up in the morning for a run as the clocks will have gone back and that extra hour should be put to good use.  Alternatively I could simply drink rum tonight and plan for my Monday run as per the schedule.  Decisions decisions ...

« Reply #699 on: 24 October, 2020, 05:40:18 pm »
I was going to plant a rose bush and then go for a run! But it is pouring with rain and I have opened a bottle of wine and lit the fire and I have the paper and a good book. 

Tomorrow the clocks go back so a 5k before church is a real possibility and then a weights session after church.Ot it could be 40 minutes on the new bike and then church.

Monday and wednesday I am actually off work!!!!!  I am planning a really long run on monday morning possibly 2-2.5 hours and then gardening gently in the afternoon.  Tuesday will be commute to work and back on the bike and then Wednesday is long bike ride.

This is a bit weather dependent.  Also my various TA drivers will try to kick off about the work that "needs" doing but I have allocated Thursday?Friday so I am hoping to keep my mental health good.

Is anybody using a good mindfulness app?