Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144080 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #750 on: 30 October, 2020, 01:29:14 pm »
I’ve just done a very short run* of 2.13km. It hard;y seems to have been worth the bother of getting my running kit on.
Anyway, it was deliberately short and contained intervals ‘sprinted’ up a steep incline. 9 intervals in all, and the ToJ seems to be happy with my efforts. I needed to get out and it took me all morning to push myself out of the door, but I achieved that so it’s a win. And I agree PB, it’s rather warm out.

Toe update: I’ve not taken my shoes of yet, so,I don’t know how my toe has faired.  While I was getting ready, before I put my socks on I pressed the nail to see if it was painful. The squeamish should look away now. A jet of puss shot out and some more was cleaned out with further squishing. It smelt awful. I’m now in two minds as whether to Bother the medical profession with it or whether to leave it be. I’ll see what the nurse says.

So pleased to have eaten my lunch before reading this.  🤮

I left the house once it started to get light and did my 5 x 60 second running intervals with 2 minutes of walking in between.

What was interesting was that overall my average speed per km was 8:40 which isn't much slower than when I jog the whole way.

I am thinking I might do intervals with running/jogging rather than running/walking next time and see how that goes.

Well, my next run will be a 30 minute jog in the C25k mould as I want to do that once per week at least. I am hoping that if I also do 2 intervals sessions then my overall speed may increase. We shall see.

Sounds like a plan.  👍

I did think about intervals but never got there.  My big plan now is to get to the half maratbon distance then restructure my training including one interval session per week whilst building towards my next objective.

« Reply #751 on: 30 October, 2020, 02:11:00 pm »
Planning an ultra PB?

« Reply #752 on: 30 October, 2020, 03:12:30 pm »
Planning an ultra PB?

Now that is ambitious.

« Reply #753 on: 30 October, 2020, 03:19:25 pm »
I have found details of a trail running camp for beginners in April.  I am slightly tempted but I suspect that I can wait until nearer the time to make any decisions.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #754 on: 30 October, 2020, 03:56:26 pm »
For,those that may be interested the nurse told me to google it without even looking up from her book.

You feed them and nurture them, you encourage them and support them through the trials and tribulations of life. And this,is what you get the first time you ask for their professional advice.  :o What has the world come to.  :-\
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #755 on: 30 October, 2020, 04:21:21 pm »
It can be said that you are just puss-y footing around at the moment.   :D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #756 on: 30 October, 2020, 05:10:23 pm »

It can be said that you are just puss-y footing around at the moment.   :D
:facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #757 on: 30 October, 2020, 05:19:19 pm »
🤣

« Reply #758 on: 01 November, 2020, 03:58:32 pm »
I have been slowly working up the confidence to use the sports centre as the weather deteriorates but looks like that has gone again.

Winter running clothing and the turbo seem to be suddenly a higher priority.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #759 on: 01 November, 2020, 04:05:57 pm »
I’m tempted to get a dreadmill for home, but decent ones do seem to cost MONEY which is a bit of a pain. Not the best time to buy on eBay either.

« Reply #760 on: 01 November, 2020, 05:01:14 pm »
Subject to sensible constraints on avoiding slipping over, running outside is ok once your out thrououhht the winter. Nice pair of tights, a base layer and a per text jacket

« Reply #761 on: 01 November, 2020, 05:03:00 pm »
No space for a treadmill at the Bear-o-drome and a turbo and as I would be the only treadmill user ...

« Reply #762 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:24:41 pm »
Plus, treadmills are awful things. They are hard on your legs and only useful for maximal effort VO2 max testing - aka the real sufferfest

Turbo with videos - OK. Running treadmill - not so much. There’s a reason they were invented to punish convicts.

« Reply #763 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:06:58 pm »
It's terrible bright sunny conditions for me not helped with just how low the sun is in the sky but I have been out and enjoyed it immensely.   I did one of my "puddle in the shade" classics but it didn't seem to adversely affect me.

I have been working on pacing on my base 6k runs and for the last two now I have managed a very even pace and both have been negative split runs albeit by less than 10 seconds.  I am very pleased but need to work more to maintain steady pacing over longer distances now.

« Reply #764 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:25:30 am »
New shoes!

Fit is improved over my other hokas, although the tongue gussets are elasticated and hence compress my foot a tad (I have short fat feet). Even laced up loosely I could feel some pressure around my foot.

wore them for a couple of hours sat at desk before deciding fit was ok.

Did a measly 5km last night, in the dark. Very secure grip, no tendency to turn my bad ankle despite catching edge of potholes and cracks a few times. Most importantly, my foot didn't go numb.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #765 on: 04 November, 2020, 10:11:09 am »
Just under 7 miles last night - fairly steady. Felt fine, but I think the 200 at the weekend meant I didn’t have the spring to run fast! Maintaining my 1 run per week and hamstring fine last night and so far today:)

Mike

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #766 on: 04 November, 2020, 12:47:30 pm »
Just another 2k this morning, but following the unsolicited advice of ToJ to do a lite ‘recovery’ run due to poor sleep last night. Tech is spooky when it does that sort of thing. I did manage quite a pace for me though, especially when you factor in that I had to walk up most the 100 steps in the middle of the run.

At the moment I’m focusing on getting out as often as possible, so I’m not to upset about the distance. And it is a very nice day out there.

« Reply #767 on: 04 November, 2020, 01:26:13 pm »
Beardy
I have to say thank you again.  Without you encouraging us to start running I would not have been out this morning at 06:30 on probably one of the most beautiful mornings i have ever seen.  Totally clear sky, moon hanging in the sky and sun starting to come up. ground soft but with a hoar frost on the grass.  Amazing and 5km run.

« Reply #768 on: 04 November, 2020, 01:49:15 pm »
I am on week 4 out of 15 of my Quest to Half Marathon.  This week is recovery week (every 4 weeks) so I was scheduled for a steady 6.  I had arranged to meet a friend at Draycote Water which is 7.6km round on well made tarmac so I thought that I could just bimble this.

Bimble I did and clocked a time much quicker than I was planning to.  I felt relaxed and bimbly all the way round so I feel  ery pleased with myself.

In spite of recent discord the ToJ behaved itself today and in spite of my ignoring it's suggested workout has decided to declare my current efforts as productive.  One amusing note though:  it estimates my time to run a 5k at longer than it took me to go through 5k today on the way to 7.6k.  Perplexingly idiosyncratic.

To echo Chris:  Thanks Beardy.  👍

« Reply #769 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:32:29 pm »
Day one of my new resolution/regime. This is to outside and get in 5km at lunchtime every day (hence ensuring I see something resembling daylight each day).

Department has agreed on a blanket ban on meetings from 12-1, so people can get some sunlight over winter.

Set off far too fast, thought Strava was telling porkies (it showed a 15kph pace initially). It wasn't, I blew up a bit. 1km of the 5 on thick mud, churned up by tractors.

Fastest 1mile and 1km time recorded on Strava for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #770 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:49:57 pm »
This is week 2 of my running rehab, following a badly rolled ankle at the end of April.
(Hill running with Junior!)

Started off with 2k, then 3k then it's been 5k most weekday lunchtimes.
Ankle holding up pretty well, but I've lost a lot of running fitness in 6 months.

I also set off too fast, at 5 mins/k and could not sustain that.
It's quite hard to hold a nice steady 5:30, which is what I'm targeting until I regain some fitness.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #771 on: 05 November, 2020, 06:40:23 pm »
You lot are a much fitter than I am, but you still keep me going. I’d like to extend my distance, but I’ll never be as fast as you all. Even so, thank you all for your continued reports, they get me out.

It’s been a lovely day here today, but a rest day. I’m hoping it’ll be as good tomorrow, though who knows how I’ll feel. I’ve got taxi duties first thing, with two of them to take to work, but with luck I’ll be tarring to go when I get back home. I’ll pop in here in the morning for inspiration.

« Reply #772 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:26:00 pm »
I am running in the morning so I'll be posting to " inspire" you.  😉

« Reply #773 on: 06 November, 2020, 11:47:47 am »
Perfect running conditions imo and so nice to have far less traffic to pollute my route with noisy engines and noxious fumes.

A few other runners out too which is always good to see as well as quite a few pedestrians though nowhere near enough to cause any issues.

A good week for me and I am looking forward to week 5 of 15 in my Quest to Half Marathon.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #774 on: 06 November, 2020, 02:48:58 pm »
Earlier today I went for a run, for the first time in about a month. I was expecting it to be like starting from scratch again, but it wasn't actually too bad. Slow and phlegmy but I was still able to keep going.

I feel good having run.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.