Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144130 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #925 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:22:49 pm »
Marco, I found that consciously leaning forward when running alleviated a lot of my shin problems when I first started running. Not stupidly as if you are sprinting, just consciously moving your body weight forward. Perversely, I now find standing tall and back a bit helps.

As PB says, keep us posted and good luck.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #926 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:29:05 pm »
Don't stress about it, Beardy. There is always tomorrow.
My run was notable for seeing nobody else once I was in the Park. 
There is usually at least one dog walker somewhere.
But I was slow. The course is getting a bit squidgy in places.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #927 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
Meh.  Life happens Beardy.  Just don't let yourself slip like I have done all too often in the past and end up undoing all your good work.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #928 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:59:10 pm »
My landlady is away so I am on dogwalking duty, and it‘s cold and wet, so no runs for me for a few days. Maybe I will have a chance tomorrow but I really need to to take the dog out for a good hour. I can’t run with her as she stops to sniff the whole time.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #929 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:31:11 am »
Well, I got out, just.  My glutes ached, my brain wanted to be asleep and I was too late to do 10k but i got 5k in with a series of hill repeats and at times actually felt like a runner rather than a tortoise.

« Reply #930 on: 03 December, 2020, 07:45:50 am »
It's hosing it down here so just as well that today is not a run day for once when it is raining!  The forecast for tomorrow is still for "feels like minus 3" but at least it's due to be dry.  I have a new piece of "kit" to test so I have more motivation than usual.

As I said upthread, this is the crucial time of the year when people lapse so it's even more important to get out there folks.   Hard earned fitness is so easily lost.

« Reply #931 on: 03 December, 2020, 01:57:12 pm »
Quick update - for some reason I got roped into the office 100km in lockdown challenge, but only as we kicked off week 3... So my plan of one run per week during October and November had to go - or be a very long run.

So I found myself on Sunday afternoon with 30 miles to go before midnight on Tuesday. I accomplished this by running 7.5 miles on Sunday, 9 on Monday and just under 14 on Tuesday evening. I confess that my legs were a bit tired for the last mile on Tuesday and I had a night off and a couple of beers yesterday. However, I'm delighted to not be suffering from hamstring pain since:)

They weren't fast and they weren't elegant, but I got round:)

Mike

« Reply #932 on: 03 December, 2020, 02:22:26 pm »
Quick update - for some reason I got roped into the office 100km in lockdown challenge, but only as we kicked off week 3... So my plan of one run per week during October and November had to go - or be a very long run.

So I found myself on Sunday afternoon with 30 miles to go before midnight on Tuesday. I accomplished this by running 7.5 miles on Sunday, 9 on Monday and just under 14 on Tuesday evening. I confess that my legs were a bit tired for the last mile on Tuesday and I had a night off and a couple of beers yesterday. However, I'm delighted to not be suffering from hamstring pain since:)

They weren't fast and they weren't elegant, but I got round:)

Mike
well done

« Reply #933 on: 03 December, 2020, 09:10:38 pm »
Indeed. That's good going.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #934 on: 04 December, 2020, 07:38:04 am »
I'm feeling totally demotivated this morning.  Going for a 12km run in the freezing cold with high risk of precipitation is less than appealing. 

And, I should really have had my breakfast already but that is at least 30 minutes away.

Neex to reset brane. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #935 on: 04 December, 2020, 07:48:18 am »
Hang on in there PB. Don’t beat yourself up, your mo and indeed your jo will return.

It’s snowing here just now, which is unexpected and not forecast. A proper excuse on which to finish th e week.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #936 on: 04 December, 2020, 07:50:31 am »
I am erring towards something shorter tomorrow when the precipitation forecast is much lower.  Could be a baking and general Christmas prep day today instead.

« Reply #937 on: 04 December, 2020, 10:32:53 am »
I had been planning a run this morning but got a text last night offering a one to one pilates class at 08:00.  That was a no-brainer decision!  A long lie and exercise in the warm!

« Reply #938 on: 04 December, 2020, 10:46:42 am »
Well, good job I didn't go as for an unknown reason I seem to be a rumblin' in the tumblin'.  That simply would not have been compatible with 12kms.

« Reply #939 on: 04 December, 2020, 11:47:51 am »
It's bloody cold out there, I'm inclined to exercise bike instead.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #940 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:48:54 pm »
To clear outstanding vacation days, I have every Friday off from now till the end of the year.
So today I had a go at a 14k hill route I planned over a year ago.

This route has defeated me before; like Caradhras - impenetrable snowdrifts and a fell voice on the air.
It did not defeat me this time, though it came close.
It was not really runnable in these conditions.

At least for the first few k up to about 500m elevation, the track was distinguishable - it was the continuous deep slush river interspersed with small snowdrifts. A few interesting stream crossings thrown in to keep me on my toes!

Beyond 500m things took a rather more serious turn, and I was in full-on Scottish Winter Mountain conditions. A full intense blizzard whipped up for several k up to the first summit and then across the plateau to the main top. Visibility was near zero. Navigation was tricky as the path was wholly infilled and could not be seen. I used the GPS for navigation, and it was flawless.

The descent path slowly appeared, but not really runnable as it was steep slush interspersed with knee-deep snowdrifts of heavy wet snow. Back below 500m, I came out from under the cloud and the glen below came into sight as a monochrome vista. The remainder of the path was back to deep slush puddles and shallow snowdrifts.

Type 2 fun, I think.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4429079399

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #941 on: 04 December, 2020, 06:04:09 pm »
Thursdays are always grandparent duties so that's usually out. Full intentions of going this morning until I woke up to snow and slush; not worth the risk of a slip.

Tomorrow looks okay, just bloody cold (maybe up to 2C). Winter drawers on.

« Reply #942 on: 05 December, 2020, 04:25:52 pm »
To clear outstanding vacation days, I have every Friday off from now till the end of the year.
So today I had a go at a 14k hill route I planned over a year ago.

This route has defeated me before; like Caradhras - impenetrable snowdrifts and a fell voice on the air.
It did not defeat me this time, though it came close.
It was not really runnable in these conditions.

At least for the first few k up to about 500m elevation, the track was distinguishable - it was the continuous deep slush river interspersed with small snowdrifts. A few interesting stream crossings thrown in to keep me on my toes!

Beyond 500m things took a rather more serious turn, and I was in full-on Scottish Winter Mountain conditions. A full intense blizzard whipped up for several k up to the first summit and then across the plateau to the main top. Visibility was near zero. Navigation was tricky as the path was wholly infilled and could not be seen. I used the GPS for navigation, and it was flawless.

The descent path slowly appeared, but not really runnable as it was steep slush interspersed with knee-deep snowdrifts of heavy wet snow. Back below 500m, I came out from under the cloud and the glen below came into sight as a monochrome vista. The remainder of the path was back to deep slush puddles and shallow snowdrifts.

Type 2 fun, I think.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4429079399
That is a serious amount of climbing, particularly in slippery conditions.

Definitely type 2 fun, I'm jealous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #943 on: 06 December, 2020, 01:54:26 pm »
Friday's planned run did not happen. The weather was  :sick:, we'd had beers the night before, and I just couldn't be...
I sort of hoped I'd go out after work (seeing I started earlier therefore finished earlier) but that didn't happen either.
And as I kept waking in the night with a sore hip, today's didn't look much more likely, but I managed to persuade myself.
And, of course, once out there actually running it all seems a lot better. Not fast, but I got round my Sunday 10k route in an OK-ish time.
Three things of note. I saw no other runners which is most unusual for that route on a Sunday, although I was about half an hour later than usual. There were lots of cars parked in places where I don't expect to see them. And there appears to be a local dog whose owners are not picking up its deposits. Fortunately I've not trodden in any yet, but it's annoying.

« Reply #944 on: 06 December, 2020, 05:19:56 pm »
I managed to get out for just over 5k this morning at 7:30.  Did not see another soul in the time I was out!

« Reply #945 on: 06 December, 2020, 06:32:27 pm »
I've had a bit of a niggle at the back of my left knee so relieved that I didn't run on Friday with hindsight.  I am thinking that my ambitious half marathon target will need to be flexible so I have already decided to take the pressure off myself.  I need to enjoy my running.  The half marathon distance will come.

A lap of Draycote Water tomorrow if conditions allow.

« Reply #946 on: 07 December, 2020, 12:45:29 pm »
Mo and Jo accompanied me for a brassic 8km this morning.  I didn't get out to Draycote Water but I did get round my local roads.  Had a few left leg quad spasms early on but it settled down by half way and was fine for the rest of the run.  On my cool down I noticed some tightness at the back of my left knee once again so I'll be monitoring that one.

I worked on keeping my heartrate below a certain level again and was largely successful save for the uphill bits where I put in a bit more effort.

Just on the edge of freezing light fog conditions: ideal light levels for me.  Very few people out on foot.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #947 on: 07 December, 2020, 06:25:14 pm »
Second day of week 4; the first 3 minute run was actually 4.5 as Michael Johnson needed to speak up a bit, I missed the stop cue.

Okay but calves tightening. Cue Youtube roller videos and stretching on the bottom step of the stairs. Possibly weak glutes (a rowing favourite, apparently). More 'prehab' to do; we have a programme from Ms Marco, all I have to do is decipher the acronyms...

« Reply #948 on: 07 December, 2020, 08:30:52 pm »
Slow this morning.
To the extent that MrsC started to worry (I was using a slightly longer route than my usual Monday one and forgot to say).
Also, my new phone wasn't set up so she could find my location.
I was a little unpopular when I got back and I was late for work.

« Reply #949 on: 07 December, 2020, 10:52:31 pm »
Lovely first day of holiday. Felt I needed a run though so set off for 10-13km. Well one diversion lead to another and I found myself on 16km. A couple of loops of the hill and I had done my first ever 20km in 2:30.  Really pleased. It was not fast but average HR was 136 and I think the fenix starts to lock to the stride when my forearms get cold and blood flow decreases. I don’t think I went over 145

I had promised myself a half before Christmas so this was a great boost. Beardy, I really would not have done this without this topic and the mutual encouragement of everybody on here. I was never a runner at school. Last at cross country. For university rowing we were supposed to warm up with a run before dry land training which I hated so much that I was glad to stop rowing. Tried again in my 40s and got to 10k but was knackered after each run. Now to run 20k at a steady heart rate is just unbelievable. I am so chuffed.

Mrs B was asking why I run. Enjoyment, headspace, mindfulness, pleasure of fitness, being alone in the dark, enjoyment of good kit, personal goals. Anything I have missed?

Now I just need to think about the next challenge!