Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144101 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1000 on: 21 December, 2020, 04:55:29 pm »
Look forward to your report PB.

I got put today and managed 9.8 miles - necessary to deliver the 3 Christmas cards on today’s round. The must confess that the last one (7.75 miles) was a little damp and bent:(

Nice and steady, and nice to be out again.

« Reply #1001 on: 22 December, 2020, 04:36:40 pm »
So, that was interesting.

Using the chest band I have noticed that hrm reading are more stable than from the wrist sensor when running, and, lower.  I had already decided to run to a max hr for my 7.66km lap of Draycote Water and was a little surprised that I could only really break the 80% level when working quite hard on the uphills.  I could ease off only slightly on the hilly bits and stay below the threshold quite easily.

I only managed 8% of my run above 80% of max hr whereas I did 92% of my run below this and 81% in zone 4.

There are a ton of other stats that the chest strap provides the data for which I will consider more in due course but for now I am happy to continue monitoring heart rate on my runs.

Oh, it was comfortable too.  I forgot that I was wearing the chest strap early on.  Also, I could have my watch one notch looser which is far more comfortable too.  Lots of wins today.

« Reply #1002 on: 22 December, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
Two weeks ago I did 20km and was really pleased with myself. However some “friends” had to remind me about his was not a half marathon and I had promised myself a half marathon before Christmas. So I had to do it again!  This time it was my longest run on Strava and a full half marathon. Garmin even gave me my badge. Not fast (7:54pace) but hillier and hr never went over 140 until the last couple of km.

Next question is can I get to a marathon by March?  Should be doable on 10% increase per week and I plan to add in some speed work from New Year.

Then can I do a 60k in May?

« Reply #1003 on: 23 December, 2020, 07:40:22 am »
Well done Chris.

Speaking as one who has ambitions way beyond his capabilities, good luck.  Your half marathon badge will act as a motivator to me.

« Reply #1004 on: 23 December, 2020, 10:03:34 am »
PB. I think what this has taught me is that my limitations are in my mind almost more than my legs.

« Reply #1005 on: 23 December, 2020, 11:03:17 am »
Thoughtful insight Chris.

Having allowed myself to gain lots of weight and become a bit lazy over a decade or so I find the journey back to relative health and fitness a longer one than I would want it to be.  I set myself targets that the mind aspires to but the body openly rejects.  Having a few failures then put up the blocks in the mind.

Having reasoned through my strategy more than once in recent months I seem to have come to a strategy which is working for me just now which makes me confident of progress but cautious of failure.  I know from the evidence of the last few weeks though that I am making progress albeit slightly more slowly than I wish.

« Reply #1006 on: 23 December, 2020, 12:08:13 pm »
Running progress is often challenging. When we have not run or moved sufficiently for years (inevitably for most people) the consequent weakness in our bodies makes us vulnerable to injuries and niggles. Fixing that history is necessarily slow, but every bit of work pays dividends in increased robustness when we return.

So please continue PB and all - you remain inspirational.

« Reply #1007 on: 23 December, 2020, 01:37:16 pm »
Thoughtful insight Chris.

Having allowed myself to gain lots of weight and become a bit lazy over a decade or so I find the journey back to relative health and fitness a longer one than I would want it to be.  I set myself targets that the mind aspires to but the body openly rejects.  Having a few failures then put up the blocks in the mind.

Having reasoned through my strategy more than once in recent months I seem to have come to a strategy which is working for me just now which makes me confident of progress but cautious of failure.  I know from the evidence of the last few weeks though that I am making progress albeit slightly more slowly than I wish.
I agree, there is no strategy that works for all. I am fortunate that in some ways I have been working on my aerobic ability for some time.  I found that trainerroad and similar training left me very tired and often when a work commitment mucked up my training i would end up despondent and dropping out of training.  that further fuelled depression and then I would have to fight to turn things around knowing that it would hurt again.

I then heard about Maffetone training which is essentially low HR training or easy long runs/rides.  I adopted this style of training and whilst I will never be a sprinter or even moderately fast it does mean that I look forward to my training runs/rides knowing that I will feel energised at the end.  I therefore do all my commuting rides and all my runs at <=128bpm.

today the legs feel fine and until i saw the rain i was planning another short run or ride.  probably be on the turbo now.

My plan for both cycling and running is to add in the speed work after New year but just once a week of each.  So one commute home from work will be flat out speed work and there will be one run of strides, hills or similar.

We did have a holiday to Tenerife booked in January but that is looking increasingly unlikely!  I had been looking forward to some warm weather cycling and running!

good luck with your training PB and look forward to hearing from everybody over the holiday, this thread has been a real ray of hope in this year.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1008 on: 23 December, 2020, 04:11:23 pm »
Exchange of prezzies with my brother's family today.
The car was loaded up, and my lot set off on the road.

I had set off slightly over an hour earlier, to run there following a 12k trail route I had planned.
This involved lots of new trail to me, and a bit of navigation.
The woods are criss-crossed with MTB trails, with several going in vaguely similar directions at some points.
Still, I didn't get lost.

Arrived 10 mins before them!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4508144265

« Reply #1009 on: 24 December, 2020, 09:56:35 pm »
Looking at the weather forecast and ice warnings I am wrestling with deciding whether to skip tomorrow morning and pour a large whisky instead.

Ice is bad and I know what it's like injuring myself when I have fallen whilst running and it ain't pleasant.

« Reply #1010 on: 25 December, 2020, 08:00:22 am »
A lovely, crisp, icy, chilly, winter morning. 

Lots of frosted cars and icy pavements - no run today for me.   :(

Happy Christmas fellow shufflers.  Stay safe.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1011 on: 25 December, 2020, 09:22:38 am »
Happy Christmas to all the readers and contributors of what started out as my running log. I hope you have the best day possible.
Paul. Xx
X
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1012 on: 25 December, 2020, 09:35:14 am »
And to you Beardy.

I was looking back over the year.  800kms running, 7kgs weight lost, at least two inches off the waist with thinner fingers, slimmer wrists firmer, more "pert" glutes and jeans and t-shirts which no longer resemble stretch fit items of clothing.  Also, I have recorded running activity in every month of a year for the first time in close to half of my lifetime.   Lots to try and repeat or even exceed where possible in 2021 methinks.

Many thanks Beardy and to all of you for your support and encouragement throughout this awful year.   

« Reply #1013 on: 25 December, 2020, 08:18:47 pm »
Indeed - a very happy and safe Christmas and prayers for a better year for all next year.

Well done everyone here - it’s been fun tagging along:)

Mike

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1014 on: 26 December, 2020, 12:50:02 pm »
Boxing Day run (and two years ago, I would never have needed that phrase!) accomplished.  I'm managing to run slower, and in much longer sections now, almost feel like I'm actually becoming a person who runs, rather than just staggers gasping around the block.

I'll stick with my 5.1km loop until I can run round it without walking.  Then I'll try running it in the other direction as that puts the uphill bits in a different place, and once I can do that I might be a 'runner.'

In other news, the diet + exercise regime is paying off.  I've lost 18kg this year (and no, that's not a typo!), mostly since August.  Mr redshift has lost considerably more, and fortunately we're both enjoying what we're eating, and eating much better.  I have about 3kg to go to get into the 'green zone' for BMI based on my height / weight, and that will give me some wiggle room if we fancy a pub lunch and some beer!
For those interested the rules are:
1. Nothing is forbidden, but the calories must be accounted for.
2. We aim for 1200-1400 calories per day, maximum.  He's losing faster than me, but that's expected. We aim for 1-2kg per week.
3. Er, that's it.  Thank-you, NHS website.

In reality, there are many days when we both tally below 1000 calories, because the the overall effect has made us more conscious of what we're eating, and we usually end up with <something tasty> surrounded by big piles of homemade salad/veg and pickles. 

I should also say that the biggest difference has been made by me stopping work. I know that's a privileged position but the last two years taught me to pay attention to my health and change my priorities, and 60-90 minutes each way plus 12-hour shifts was killing me, so I stopped.

Merry Crimble, and here's hoping that next year is better than this one!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1015 on: 26 December, 2020, 05:29:16 pm »
 :thumbsup: to redshift, sounds good - and Happy Christmas to you all.

I'm not sure I'm any slimmer than last Christmas, as there's been considerable sitting on my bum this year, but the running has helped keep a check on that.

I managed 11km today (well, one of those was walked as Kingston ridge is steep) with lots of other people out despite it being fairly dull weather.

[Edit to correct spelling, I blame auto-swear]

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1016 on: 26 December, 2020, 05:48:43 pm »
:thumbsup: to redshit, sounds good
That’s a bit impolite  ;)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1017 on: 26 December, 2020, 05:50:07 pm »

« Reply #1018 on: 26 December, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
I have to admit that I really do enjoy reading about the progress others are making.  It inspires me hugely.

I am planning a 12km tomorrow following the route that I ran last Sunday.  With a little commitment and no accidents I should record my highest monthly total distance of 2020 by the end of the month.  (St)roll on 2021!!!

« Reply #1019 on: 26 December, 2020, 09:57:28 pm »
Felt like a run rather than bike today, after 3 lazy days with another runny nose, so got out and finished up at 7 miles/11kms - went down the Nidd Gorge, so it was muddy and rough underfoot. Sent straight to downstairs shower on arrival home;)

« Reply #1020 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:23:06 pm »
I ran six miles Christmas eve.  Felt generally fine, but where I'd overeaten for a couple of days my stomach was distended and felt uncomfortable.  I also felt a degree of shame as I've recently started running again  both to get fit and lose weight.  My son mocked me by telling me I can't outrun a bad diet, I know that. And thats what kids are for.
I have signed up for a Garmin  half marathon plan. Starts tomorrow. Am I in the right forum as its headed Beardys Ct 5k?

« Reply #1021 on: 27 December, 2020, 08:22:34 am »
I have to admit that I really do enjoy reading about the progress others are making.  It inspires me hugely.

I am planning a 12km tomorrow following the route that I ran last Sunday.  With a little commitment and no accidents I should record my highest monthly total distance of 2020 by the end of the month.  (St)roll on 2021!!!

Bah, humbug!

Best laid plans and all that ...

No run today now due to another commitment.  Ah well, there is tomorrow.

I'll do the long run tomorrow and revert back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday this week instead of next week.  I'll not fret over it.

I ran six miles Christmas eve.  Felt generally fine, but where I'd overeaten for a couple of days my stomach was distended and felt uncomfortable.  I also felt a degree of shame as I've recently started running again  both to get fit and lose weight.  My son mocked me by telling me I can't outrun a bad diet, I know that. And thats what kids are for.
I have signed up for a Garmin  half marathon plan. Starts tomorrow. Am I in the right forum as its headed Beardys Ct 5k?

I would say so, yes.  We're mostly people who have returned to running after very long absences or completely new runners.  The point of C25K is to get people going (again) and hopefully launch them beyond the programme.

We will happily follow your progress if you post here.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1022 on: 27 December, 2020, 11:39:57 am »
So that wasn’t quite the outcome I was hoping for when I decide to check my annual stats. I thought that I might be just short of a significant number and would thus be inspired and motivated to go and run to round off the year so to speak. I’m now feeling demoralised and demotivated. Have I really only run 411k this year. That’s rhetorical, by the way. Sigh.

Motivation aside, I am a bit nervous about my right knee which has been giving me grief in varying degrees intermittently over Christmas. Maybe I just need to run on it to sort it out  ;D

On reflection (it’s taken me a while write this post!) 411k is quite an achievement for an unmotivated lump like me. Getting out of bed in the morning is a challenge most days, so to have managed to go out and run is a major win every time a do it.

I hope you all had a good Christmas given the circumstances.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1023 on: 27 December, 2020, 04:20:18 pm »
Managed to get out this afternoon for my current usual 7k loop. I do a five minute warm up, run for five k, five minute warm down, then gently jog back home. Unless I want to do an out and back route, this is the shortest I can manage on roads. Did the 5k in just under the half hour which, seeing there are hills involved, I'm reasonably happy with. I saw no other runners, but there were a lot of cars about.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1024 on: 27 December, 2020, 05:02:00 pm »
So that wasn’t quite the outcome I was hoping for when I decide to check my annual stats. I thought that I might be just short of a significant number and would thus be inspired and motivated to go and run to round off the year so to speak. I’m now feeling demoralised and demotivated. Have I really only run 411k this year. That’s rhetorical, by the way. Sigh.

Motivation aside, I am a bit nervous about my right knee which has been giving me grief in varying degrees intermittently over Christmas. Maybe I just need to run on it to sort it out  ;D

On reflection (it’s taken me a while write this post!) 411k is quite an achievement for an unmotivated lump like me. Getting out of bed in the morning is a challenge most days, so to have managed to go out and run is a major win every time a do it.

I hope you all had a good Christmas given the circumstances.

I reckon 411km is more than 82 x 5km. That’s more than one a week. Pretty good outcome I reckon- well done!!