Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143105 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1075 on: 13 January, 2021, 10:44:00 am »
Rain stopping play.  😕

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1076 on: 13 January, 2021, 02:09:25 pm »
I have a slightly bad back at the moment (woke up with it!) so haven't jogged for a few days. But that's OK as it's very cold wind out there too.

Will now walk round the block with the dog and might break into a couple of short jogging bursts if there are no cars.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1077 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:09:50 am »
It's run time!!!

« Reply #1078 on: 15 January, 2021, 01:05:24 pm »
14km.  Longest run this century for me.

Tired, happy, hungry.

« Reply #1079 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:07:40 pm »
It was a bit nippy this morning. But the only bit of me which was actually too cold when I got home was my stomach. My long-sleeved tops are a little thin.
It was however worth it as I got into the Park just before sunrise.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1080 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:13:19 pm »
Sounds awesome.  I loved my early starts through the spring and summer and cannot wait for them again.

I wear a long sleeved running top with a short sleeved running tee over the top.  I find that after the first couple of kms I hoik the sleeves up around my elbows.  It's nice to have some sleeves to deploy at the end on my cool down walk too. 

« Reply #1081 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:08:21 pm »
I wear a long sleeved running top with a short sleeved running tee over the top.  I find that after the first couple of kms I hoik the sleeves up around my elbows.  It's nice to have some sleeves to deploy at the end on my cool down walk too.
Might consider that. I have a singlet top which would probably provide enough extra protection. (Mind you parkrun apricot over fluorescent yellow isn't the most tasteful of combinations  ;))

« Reply #1082 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:48:02 am »
5 miles this morning - steady in the snow:)

No hamstring pain at all, which I view as a success!

« Reply #1083 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:48:11 pm »
12k the morning with 3rd fastest 10k in it and more hills.  The brain did everything possible to sabotage me though.  Told me i had not run since the weekend and i would be too unfit, that my Zwift session yesterday needed a recovery day, that my ankle hurt from last weekend, that it was raining, too cold, etc......

yet when i got out it was a lovely day and my body had not died over night and now i can have my bacon and eggs for lunch.

« Reply #1084 on: 17 January, 2021, 01:10:18 pm »
First 10k since 6th December, and the fastest since June, which was nice as I wasn't particularly going for speed. Maybe trudging round the mud in the Park does have some sort of training effect.
Lots of other people out, runners, cyclists, a lot of walkers, but everyone being very good about social distancing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1085 on: 17 January, 2021, 03:31:24 pm »
Did the 15k loop round a local hill called Kerloch.

Forestry roads lower down very icy. Higher up, deep drifts with a crust almost, but not quite, strong enough to support my weight. Every second or third step I'd fall through and end up knee-deep in snow. Well tracked on the way up, but everyone had come back down the same way. My route continues on beyond the summit, descending by a different route. No-one had been this way. It was totally un-tracked deep drifts, and I was post-holing for the first k or two of the descent! Great fun!

Kerloch - ascent path by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Kerloch - descent path by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

https://www.strava.com/activities/4636044948

« Reply #1086 on: 18 January, 2021, 12:45:12 pm »
Been out for my usual Monday run, an 8km local weave through the roads and streets of Rugby.

For the first time since Christmas I'd say that people seem to have finally begun to understand the rules as traffic and pedestrian volumes were much lower than they have been.  Saw three other runners out and one cyclist.

It feels good to be getting out and running at the moment.  😊

« Reply #1087 on: 18 January, 2021, 06:45:00 pm »
steady 5k this evening after doing tour de Zwift this morning.  Low HR aerobic run just to loosen off.

« Reply #1088 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:04:18 pm »
Good stuff.  My steady 6k planned for Wednesday looks like it will lose out to a weather event yet again.  My Wednesdays have become a tad problematic this January.  🤔

« Reply #1089 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:32:32 am »
Part of my move back to some indoor cycle training has been due to the weather. Running for an hour in this rain is not particularly pleasant. Also my fields round here are so wet and muddy that I am either digging a bigger trench if I run in the mud or I am damaging more field if I run on the less muddy areas.

The good news is that I have now run or walked 800km in my running shoes.  I had wondered if they were getting to the end as they did not feel as cushioned so I think it is time for them to retire gracefully.

The question is do I need 2 pairs, one for the roads and another for the trails/fields?  Is it like bikes and the number of shoes is N+1?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1090 on: 19 January, 2021, 07:20:09 pm »
The question is do I need 2 pairs, one for the roads and another for the trails/fields?  Is it like bikes and the number of shoes is N+1?

Yes. Yes, you do.

These days, 90% of my running is off-road: trail and hill mostly.

My trail shoes are Salomon Speedcross 5 ( and previously the Speedcross 4 ).
They make a huge difference to your grip in soft ground and mud.

But the thickness of the soles is taken up more by the lugs, so the cushioning is a bit less.
So I try to avoid hard surfaces in them, favouring the grass verges. This also protects them from getting worn down on the tarmac.

They don't have great grip on wet slick rock, or ice however.
They are also a bit heavier than road shoes, so you'll be a wee bit slower in them where the extra grip is not helping.

Same as a mountain bike versus a road bike really!

« Reply #1091 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:00:43 pm »
I have three pairs on the go:  two pairs of road shoes which I alternate between and a pair of trail shoes for those offroad moments.

« Reply #1092 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:04:15 pm »
Part of my move back to some indoor cycle training has been due to the weather. Running for an hour in this rain is not particularly pleasant. Also my fields round here are so wet and muddy that I am either digging a bigger trench if I run in the mud or I am damaging more field if I run on the less muddy areas.

The good news is that I have now run or walked 800km in my running shoes.  I had wondered if they were getting to the end as they did not feel as cushioned so I think it is time for them to retire gracefully.

Hi Chris

Running isn’t like cycling, however much the sales mags and so on try to convince you it is. Running is mucky and sweaty and can never be stylish or fashion led;) (note - obstacle races and ‘tough ***’ are not running).

You might want different shoes for on and off road - I do - and you might even have some special fast shoes for intervals or racing. But fundamentally, it’s simple so don’t worry about n+1.

I did see that Joss Naylor used to have a couple of pairs of Walshes (fell shoes) that he hung up in his kitchen each evening - that way there was always one dry for the next day. Mine go in a high shelf in the utility/hot water tank room.

« Reply #1093 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:05:39 pm »
Oh, and shoes are depressingly consumable - bike chains last further in winter than road shoes:( and cost less...

« Reply #1094 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:20:59 pm »
Hmm, I haven't run since the 3rd of Jan. I'm going to have to try and get out for 5k tomorrow though given the current weather forecast...

Ah well, I've been active everyday so hopefully everything is ticking over.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1095 on: 20 January, 2021, 08:14:49 am »
There is supposed to be a short break in the rain at lunchtime here so I am hoping to get out for a brisk 6k with the added frisson of potentially getting absolutely drowned!

« Reply #1096 on: 20 January, 2021, 09:16:08 am »

Hi Chris

Running isn’t like cycling, however much the sales mags and so on try to convince you it is. Running is mucky and sweaty and can never be stylish or fashion led;) (note - obstacle races and ‘tough ***’ are not running).

You might want different shoes for on and off road - I do - and you might even have some special fast shoes for intervals or racing. But fundamentally, it’s simple so don’t worry about n+1.

I did see that Joss Naylor used to have a couple of pairs of Walshes (fell shoes) that he hung up in his kitchen each evening - that way there was always one dry for the next day. Mine go in a high shelf in the utility/hot water tank room.

Thanks Mike.  I was just unsure how much difference it would make to a casual runner although I am really enjoying it.  I have replaced my Hoka Stinson ATR so I will see how the feel of them compares to my old ones to see if it is the road running or the wear in them already that has made the difference.  Then i might buy a second pair for the road.

« Reply #1097 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:58:18 am »
It looks like I've got an hour window in the rain and whilst it's blooming windy it's only meant to get worse as the day goes on.

I best drag myself out.

« Reply #1098 on: 20 January, 2021, 12:11:24 pm »
Dodged the rain and got the planned run in.  Very pleased as this could be the first week this year that I will have done all my planned runs. 

It's warm out there, almost shorts weather I'd suggest and the grey skies and occasional spits of moisture make it perfect for hard winter miles accumulation.

It looks like I've got an hour window in the rain and whilst it's blooming windy it's only meant to get worse as the day goes on.

I best drag myself out.

Good luck. 

Seriously Chris, especially at this time of year the shoes get all wet and filthy even running roads.   Two pairs so that you can alternate whilst shoes are drying out from puddle-plugging and/or having been cleaned is essential in my book.  It also helps if a pair gets damaged that you have another pair immediately available.  Truth be told I have a third pair of road shoes still in the box for that "just in case" scenario.  I buy them when they are cheap and keep them for when they are needed.

« Reply #1099 on: 20 January, 2021, 12:25:25 pm »
Did it! Even pushed on for 7k rather than the vaguely 'planned' 5. Happy with that. Especially after 17 days off. Nothing is grumbling too much right now either  :thumbsup:

And the same on the two pairs of shoes - I didn't have to worry about puddles as even if I do run tomorrow I've got pair #2 good to go. I bought the second pair once I'd done about 50 miles on pair #1 (so I knew I got on with them) and will get a third pair once pair #2 start heading towards worn and keep a steady rotation going.

I do intend to do some offroad once it's a bit drier so I may need some trail shoes as well.