Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143034 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1200 on: 10 February, 2021, 04:03:02 pm »
Unfortunately the ones I have are no longer in stock. It is unfortunate because I too have no morals at all  ;D

Just did 6 miles on hard track @ 8:40/mi av, but pelted it for 2 of the miles. Its odd, but they only feel comfortable when I'm really shifting. When I'm warming up they feel as if they are trying to make my feet do something they don't want to do. I'm going to wear my Nike roadshoes on friday and compare.

« Reply #1201 on: 10 February, 2021, 07:32:57 pm »
As it's not rained properly for a few days (we did have the lightest dusting of snow overnight) I decided to risk the Park. Lovely morning. I was suitably layered up, so wasn't cold apart from my hands. But the running was hard work. I'm basically using our parkrun course, although as I use a different entrance to the Park, I start at about the 4km mark. The course is a two lapper, the first being about 2km and the second about 3km. This morning I only did the second outer loop. Recently I've been recording times for the 5k of just over 30 minutes. Today the three took me over 21 minutes, with an average km split time nearly a minute slower than usual. This was due to a combination of the uncertain ground (rough and solid changing to thin ice over sludge with no warning) and having the sun in my eyes for quite a distance.
But it was fun!  :D
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1202 on: 11 February, 2021, 08:01:42 am »
Run number 6.  Exactly 10k as i have to be at work early today.  beautiful run into the dark as i set off and very cold at -4deg then the sun coming up painting the sky in shades pink and blue.

« Reply #1203 on: 12 February, 2021, 08:04:16 am »
Great progress Chris.  Much kudos to you.

I could run today but I find myself in an online funeral instead.  Lovely old gentleman who was a silent pillar of the community.  His loss will be greatly felt locally.

For me the weather forecast and thus safety of pavements looks to be resolved for next week and I can resume my quest.  🙂

« Reply #1204 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:55:36 am »
Well done Chris, and sympathy PB. 

My watch is telling me to do an interval session today, but my watch can fuck right off. That is a recipe for a pulled muscle in this weather, without at least an hour warm up. So I'm going to go for a long slow one instead.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1205 on: 12 February, 2021, 11:14:50 am »
I’m following PB example and staying off the pavements until next week. It’s about 1* currently hereabouts which will lead to very unpredictable conditions underfoot. I’m not about to hit the trails either because although conditions underfoot will be more predictable, I don’t want to paddle through inches of powder snow that will no doubt infiltrate my shoes and then melt.
What a wimp  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1206 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:34:54 pm »
As promised just peeled off a 10 mile trail run, up and down, but mostly flattish, through forests, past lakes.  Even incorporated a work meeting during the warm down. Didn't cane it, 9.30 min/mile.

I reckon I'll be at half marathon distance in 3-4 weeks.

« Reply #1207 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:22:09 am »
I didn't run yesterday due to work and family crowding things out.  However I took it as a rest day and went out for 16k this morning.

In the last 9 days I have done run 90.71k averaging 10k per day. 

For me that is a massive achievement.  The physical and mental benefits have been so special from getting into running over the last 6 months.

« Reply #1208 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:37:51 am »
Chris, that is truly impressive.  I am not sure that I could even run on consecutive days yet but it is something that I aspire to. 

I am very much looking forward to Monday and 8km.

« Reply #1209 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:45:13 am »
Thanks PB.  It was still slow but feels worthwhile.  I was lucky as the weather and work aligned.  We had virtually no snow, it was very dry and stayed cold so we really had no ice to speak of.  Then because work was weird this week, I had free time on Monday Wednesday to run at a decent hour rather than my normal 6:00am.

« Reply #1210 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:13:34 pm »
But you still have to get out there and do it:  and you did.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1211 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:20:34 pm »
Ah, but, I think I know where Chris is at with this, and the motivation will have been no problem whatsoever. I'm the same currently. My week is mapped out in advance with runs and I look forward to every one. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster as I hate it if it doesnt go well.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1212 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:12:56 pm »
I think I’m cooking up a plan to do a week of intervals in a bid to build up strength and speed. It’s nearly a fortnight since my last run and I want to do something to get me back into the habit.

Also, seeing the pace you all run at is stoking my inferiority complex seriously and I feel the need to improve. I suppose I do need to,do something because I’ve not really made any improvements since the summer.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1213 on: 13 February, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »
It a depends on what you consider as improvement really.  Speed is just one measure, distance is another.  I am more interested in stretching my distances consistently.

I don't think that I have got any quicker over the past 9 months but I am in a place where I could go for a 10 miler (16km) now knowing that I can pace myself and finish.  I could probably still bash out a sub 30 5k as well but I am really not bothered about pace.

The very fact that you can bash out a run where you simply couldn't when you started this is indeed improvement. 

I am now content with my current state of running capability.  I enjoy leaving the house for a run and I no longer fret about missing one due to unforeseen circumstances.   Having enjoyed a week off and avoided the terrible conditions underfoot in the process I am ready to go on Monday.

« Reply #1214 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:25:59 pm »
I might be wrong, but I suspect that pushing speed is a quicker path to injury than pushing distance, but with distance you have to incorporate rest

« Reply #1215 on: 14 February, 2021, 08:54:06 pm »
I’ve had a couple of weeks where a combination of other stuff, unappealing weather and low enthusiasm have led to no running. I managed 5 properly chilly, slow and slightly slidely km today.

« Reply #1216 on: 15 February, 2021, 09:25:35 am »
I created 3 segments on my 'standard' 5km loop. Just for personal comparison purposes.
Initially, they came up just showing my first run time.

Today, Strava has synched them with previous recorded runs.

:o

There are some fast people out there. One of my segments is all uphill, part of it a 1/6. The fastest person has an average speed of 4:19 per Km on that.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1217 on: 15 February, 2021, 10:19:03 am »

Just back from morning run doing whatever the Garmin told me to, which was 45 mins easy, 10 mins moderate, and 5 mins warm down, which, with a little extra on the warm down to get home was dead on 7 miles.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1218 on: 15 February, 2021, 11:06:26 am »
So I’ve now got a cold! Normally I would avoid exercise while lurgied up, but I think I might have to go for a run tomorrow because I might actually go mad if I don’t. It could be messy  :( I can’t get out today due to other things going on.

« Reply #1219 on: 15 February, 2021, 12:33:22 pm »
After a week off I went out and did 8k just now.

The good point: 

I completed the 8k - there was no doubt in my mind that I would do this.

The "not so good" points:

Comparing againt the same route two weeks ago I was 7 seconds per km slower, my average hr was 5bpm higher for the run and my max was 15bpm higher.  It also felt a lot harder than before.

Clearly just one week of no running is detrimental to my fitness.   That's quite a quick decline but clearly I am nowhere near where I was 12 months ago when I was struggling to run for 3 minutes continuously.  👍

« Reply #1220 on: 15 February, 2021, 06:48:55 pm »
Well done everybody on getting out.  I have had 2 quiet days with no exercise.  Just tired and a bit down. not slept well

« Reply #1221 on: 15 February, 2021, 08:18:45 pm »
I’ve had just over a week without exercise. A bit frustrating and got me a bit down, but have just got back from a nice 4 miler. Amazing how it can lift the spirits.

« Reply #1222 on: 15 February, 2021, 08:44:31 pm »
Warm enough for shorts and short sleeves. Sunny enough to warrant a vizor (at 8.00 this morning). That will do nicely.
The PB by over a minute on that particular route was an unexpected bonus.

(Nothing to really write home about, I only changed to that route around Christmas time, but nice.)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1223 on: 16 February, 2021, 02:58:14 pm »
Has anybody tried MAF training?

I am thinking about a shake-up to my running schedule for March by moving from 3 runs a week (2 medium, one long) to 4 runs including one intervals type session and one MAF as well as a medium run and a longer run.  I don't have the need to stretch my long run quite so far now that I am not planning for London so I'm keen to keep my motivation going.

It's to add variety as much as anything so I am curious to know what experiences folk might have had with MAF. 

I recall that Chris runs at an incredibly low HR but is that MAF or just your physiology?

Looking forward to some wisdom folks.  🙂

« Reply #1224 on: 16 February, 2021, 03:49:46 pm »
PB if you do the protocol above, that's not MAF.

For it to be MAF, you have to do almost all your running at that intensity- that's the point. Vast vast amounts of low intensity work. Real pushing it up from the bottom, stuff.

Throwing one slower run a week in, isn't going to cut it.