Author Topic: Shimano 105 going electronic  (Read 7381 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Shimano 105 going electronic
« Reply #75 on: 10 October, 2021, 11:10:14 pm »
No, no, you're quite wrong! Ford's CEO has been struck by a bolt of lightning and is right now convincing the board that cars are the past, bikes are the future. They're all set to revolutionize the bike industry with their innovative production line assembly methods, becoming the world's largest bike maker and making Detroit the world capital of pedal power.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #76 on: 10 October, 2021, 11:10:23 pm »
I had a wireless cycle computer for a while. It was very convenient and worked - except when certain makes of car passed closely. Then, suddenly, spurious readings would appear (I had a top speed of 999kph!).

I wonder if wireless electronic shifting will be vulnerable to similar effects.

I have Etap 11 speed, and I've never had any problem with phantom shifts.  I've never had any problem with it not shifting when instructed either, which you might expect if the hardware was subject to interference that was then filtered using cyclic redundancy checks.  So In a word, no they aren't.

What Etap 11 *is* vulnerable to, is the sudden withdrawal and probable buyback of all spare parts as soon as Etap 12 hit the market.  I now live in fear of my blip box ever dying.  In terms of support for old kit, it's quite a lot worse than Shimano, or even Campag.

[typos, oops]

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #77 on: 11 October, 2021, 12:40:05 am »
I had a wireless cycle computer for a while. It was very convenient and worked - except when certain makes of car passed closely. Then, suddenly, spurious readings would appear (I had a top speed of 999kph!).

I wonder if wireless electronic shifting will be vulnerable to similar effects.

I have Etap 11 speed, and I've never had any problem with phantom shifts.  I've next had any problem with it not shifting when instructed either, which you might expect if the hardware was subject to interference the was then filtered using cyclic redundancy checks.  So I'm a word, no they aren't.

What Etap 11 *is* boomerangse to, is the sudden withdrawal and probable buyback of all spare parts as soon as Etap 12 hit the market.  I now live in fear of my blip box ever dying.  In terms of support for old kit, it's quite a lot worse than Shimano, or even Campag.

Yep. If my Red Etap dies, Di2 will replace it.